Some comments/thoughts on Red's defense | Syracusefan.com

Some comments/thoughts on Red's defense

Orangezoo

In the wind
So I've now watched both exhibitions a few times. Most recently focusing just the defense and looking at some of the different ways Red has deployed it.

There are some interesting wrinkles that have been pretty effective (have to note opponent quality here).

1- The first is that we've picked up 3/4 court pressure about 10 pct of the time roughly and it's been mixed results. Pressure has been most effective in the halfcourt attacking the passing lanes. Against Daemen we were super aggressive on every catch early and hounding their non ball handlers the moment they caught the ball and jumping every dribble handoff or pressured pass outside the arc. This worked for turnovers but put us in bad positions trying to defend the 3 so the risk was higher but paid off when we sped them up and turned them over. I think this tactic should be in the bag but not at the top.

2- In the St Rose game we showed several different looks that are intriguing. First off was the two main guards setup and pinched just like they were in zone and then backed into something that looked a bit like a mix of the pack line and a matchup 2-1-2. The kids seemed really comfortable in these sets and it worked well to switch to zone a few possessions and then back. We paired this with more traditional pressure mtm with Judah or JJ picking up at half court and definitely were much more physical ( too much at times) in the mtm vs what we saw vs Daemen.

3- The biggest issue has been funneling the ball handler properly and then reacting fast enough if one guy gets beat. That is going to take the longest to improve given that is chemistry and instinct and will at times frustrate as we give away points from time to time.

4- The big question mark is what the fc press will look like. So far it's not been used - only 3/4 court.

Overall though I liked how that hybrid mtm with the ability to switch over looked and it was effective. Something to watch as Red finds his groove in terms of defensive calls and rotations.

Maybe I am overthinking it but I have a feeling that Red is keeping his full court press(es?) in his pocket for Hawaii. We know that he is going to use the full court based on everything he has said since March so I can't think of another reason that he wouldn't want to get live reps.

UNH has a stud inside but our guards should be able to dominate. Canisius might be okay this season but, again, they aren't holding our guards. Colgate is Colgate but we should be able to disrupt their offense with our athletes in the half-court or 3/4 court. If not, then you have to do what you have to do.

A good press is hard to prepare for when you know what to expect. A good press with little to no tape to help you prepare sounds like a nightmare. Not letting Tennessee and beyond know what to expect would be a nice advantage to have in a tournament where we need every advantage possible.

Maybe I am overthinking it but I have a feeling that Red is keeping his full court press(es?) in his pocket for Hawaii. We know that he is going to use the full court based on everything he has said since March so I can't think of another reason that he wouldn't want to get live reps.

UNH has a stud inside but our guards should be able to dominate. Canisius might be okay this season but, again, they aren't holding our guards. Colgate is Colgate but we should be able to disrupt their offense with our athletes in the half-court or 3/4 court. If not, then you have to do what you have to do.

A good press is hard to prepare for when you know what to expect. A good press with little to no tape to help you prepare sounds like a nightmare. Not letting Tennessee and beyond know what to expect would be a nice advantage to have in a tournament where we need every advantage possible.

What I like most is we will have different looks matchup dependent. Defense was clearly different from game 1 to game 2 in that regard and half to half.

It will come with mistakes though both players and coaches we have to be patient about. The wrong decision or adjustment on D will lose us a game and that's part of the process of learning.

What I like most is we will have different looks matchup dependent. Defense was clearly different from game 1 to game 2 in that regard and half to half.

It will come with mistakes though both players and coaches we have to be patient about. The wrong decision or adjustment on D will lose us a game and that's part of the process of learning.
We are no longer going to be the easiest team in college basketball to prepare for and play against, that is for sure.

It is going to take time so I am fully braced for the chance that the first two days in Honolulu get ugly for us but it is all about figuring ourselves out in time to get into the dance comfortably, as a team with this much talent should.

We are no longer going to be the easiest team in college basketball to prepare for and play against, that is for sure.

It is going to take time so I am fully braced for the chance that the first two days in Honolulu get ugly for us but it is all about figuring ourselves out in time to get into the dance comfortably, as a team with this much talent should.

So I'm focused on the first 3 games but peaking to Maui it will be interesting. Barnes hasn't changed his colors and still has that same arrogance. Tenn is super aggressive and the way to beat them is take it to them using your ability to attack the rim off the bounce. That should be a plus for us unless they shift tactics and play off. Not saying we win or should expect to but our dribble drive offense would be beneficial against how they defend. In either case win or lose I like the second game a lot more than the first. Again though Maui will be a gauntlet but fun for the kids and us to see them really get their first shot and start learning a great deal about themselves and what they need to improve on.

It appears in most instances Red wants to execute a switching m2m, but there were multiple times in the exhibition games where the original on ball defender got confused and forgot to go with the other guy. That is why we gave up some open looks.

It's nice to have an elite shot blocker like McLeod, but if he whiffs we are going to give up our share of offensive boards. It does appear that our rotations are just a bit slow. That needs to get cleaned up.

Last edited:
Switching, and help defense will be the biggest learning curves for the guys who've played exclusively zone the past few years.

Well yeah, except -

Who other than Benny has been @ Cuse more than 1 season?

We’ve got a bunch of Sophs, transfer Sophs, 1 Frosh, and…
that’s pretty much it.

I doubt that dudes like Judah, Q, Maliq, JT all forgot how to play M2M, after 1 season of 2-3.

All the other non-Benny guys have come directly from someplace else that played M2M.

It appears in most occasions Red wants to execute a switching m2m, but there were multiple times in the exhibition games where the original on ball defender got confused and forgot to go with the other guy. That is why we gave up some open looks.

It's nice to have an elite shot blocker like McLeod, but if he whiffs we are going to give up our share of offensive boards. It does appear that our rotations are just a bit slow. That needs to get cleaned up.
yeah the switching so far has left alot to be desired

So I've now watched both exhibitions a few times. Most recently focusing just the defense and looking at some of the different ways Red has deployed it.

There are some interesting wrinkles that have been pretty effective (have to note opponent quality here).

1- The first is that we've picked up 3/4 court pressure about 10 pct of the time roughly and it's been mixed results. Pressure has been most effective in the halfcourt attacking the passing lanes. Against Daemen we were super aggressive on every catch early and hounding their non ball handlers the moment they caught the ball and jumping every dribble handoff or pressured pass outside the arc. This worked for turnovers but put us in bad positions trying to defend the 3 so the risk was higher but paid off when we sped them up and turned them over. I think this tactic should be in the bag but not at the top.

2- In the St Rose game we showed several different looks that are intriguing. First off was the two main guards setup and pinched just like they were in zone and then backed into something that looked a bit like a mix of the pack line and a matchup 2-1-2. The kids seemed really comfortable in these sets and it worked well to switch to zone a few possessions and then back. We paired this with more traditional pressure mtm with Judah or JJ picking up at half court and definitely were much more physical ( too much at times) in the mtm vs what we saw vs Daemen.

3- The biggest issue has been funneling the ball handler properly and then reacting fast enough if one guy gets beat. That is going to take the longest to improve given that is chemistry and instinct and will at times frustrate as we give away points from time to time.

4- The big question mark is what the fc press will look like. So far it's not been used - only 3/4 court.

Overall though I liked how that hybrid mtm with the ability to switch over looked and it was effective. Something to watch as Red finds his groove in terms of defensive calls and rotations.

Nice post. Good eye for details!

It appears in most instances Red wants to execute a switching m2m, but there were multiple times in the exhibition games where the original on ball defender got confused and forgot to go with the other guy. That is why we gave up some open looks.

One thing I'll say for Autry so far; when we did play the 2-3 in those exhibitions, he didn't have the forwards so high up. They're in better rebounding position that way, and hopefully we don't see any centers running to cover a corner jump shooter ever again.

One thing I'll say for Autry so far; when we did play the 2-3 in those exhibitions, he didn't have the forwards so high up. They're in better rebounding position that way, and hopefully we don't see any centers running to cover a corner jump shooter ever again.
Agreed. Looked like we will play it some, but mainly on OOB plays.

How do you see all that stuff? I know others do as well. Also, I don’t know most of what you talk about. A matchup 2-1-2? No, don’t try to explain! I’m hopeless.

Anyway, I have been a bit down since people have been talking so much about our crappy defense. I think maybe we’ve modified our expectations.

Go Cuse!

How do you see all that stuff? I know others do as well. Also, I don’t know most of what you talk about. A matchup 2-1-2? No, don’t try to explain! I’m hopeless.

Anyway, I have been a bit down since people have been talking so much about our crappy defense. I think maybe we’ve modified our expectations.

Go Cuse!

The key is they watch it several times on replay.

If a team has 5 shooters the center is going to have to cover the 3 point line no matter which D you play, and that is going to happen to us this year a few times like it has other years.

I'm surprised you didn't mention our free throw defense where we are now positioning defenders on our own FT's. JAB chose to drop all four players besides the shooter back to be set in the zone. Red is setting our guys up for either a full court or soft pressure. Expect good things.

I'm surprised you didn't mention our free throw defense where we are now positioning defenders on our own FT's. JAB chose to drop all four players besides the shooter back to be set in the zone. Red is setting our guys up for either a full court or soft pressure. Expect good things.

Good call out. Small thing that is easy to miss.

If a team has 5 shooters the center is going to have to cover the 3 point line no matter which D you play, and that is going to happen to us this year a few times like it has other years.
Yep. Which is what makes Maliq so important along with getting Chance back

Yep. Have to focus specifically on certain things when watching to see it.

I do that more with soccer, both for my team (Chelsea) and scouting our upcoming opponents.

No, not really. There are 5 basic shooting positions from 3 - top of the key, either wing, and either corner. You can defend 5 with 4 by playing in the gaps, and leave the center underneath to defend any drives, and to rebound.

No, not really. There are 5 basic shooting positions from 3 - top of the key, either wing, and either corner. You can defend 5 with 4 by playing in the gaps, and leave the center underneath to defend any drives, and to rebound.
… the zone!

Teams hate playing us in the ncaa tournament because we are not an easy team to prepare for. I don't understand how you gained that assessment lol. Maybe cuz in our eyes seeing the same old 2-3 seems old and boring which I agree and get too.

I think the active hands and help piece of the m2m vs. everyone focused on their own man is going to be the key. It looked more often like 5 guys playing defense as opposed to a team playing a cohesive defense with five guys. That was my primary concern. Think we actually have quite a few guys who can contribute something defensively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom