Some end of season thoughts... | Syracusefan.com

Some end of season thoughts...

Jake

Mod
First if all, any season that ends in a final four is special. You can never take away the experience as a fan or player. Awesome job by the staff and players to finish the season strong after what looked like a disastrous ending was imminent.

Ultimately, we lost the way I think we all figured it would end - short on scoring.

Give Michigan credit, they did enough to beat our zone, and we really couldn't answer consistently. Too many empty trips in this game.

Surprised James couldn't get it going, he got looks, but didn't knock them down. Those points were always going to be the difference maker tonight.

Those calls by the refs were probably incorrect, but at full speed, they're hard calls. My only bitch is MCWs 4th.

The final play? Meh. Hard to put Trevor in that spot. I'd rather James take a guarded 25 footer.

Brandon went down fighting - no shame in that. Michael struggled, but he's got a bright future ahead of him.

Next year will be different. Very young unproven talent outside of CJ. Kind of reminds me of the 97 team after we lost Wallace. Could be very bumpy unless one of the new guys steps up big - I'm hoping Roberson could be that guy.

If I told you three weeks ago that we'd make the final four and keep hop on staff, I think we'd all sign up for that in a heartbeat.

Lets get this NCAA thing behind us soon, deal with its consequences and move forward.

Thanks Jake. Hopefully Ennis is the guy to step up next year otherwise we could be in big trouble

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Good post. Everything you touched on was spot on. I don't think anyone here expected us to win 30 games and be withing a basket and a made foul shot of being in the title game when the season started. Perhaps even more surprising was the run at the end of the season after having been left for done at the close of the regular Big East Season.

Think Grant has a breakout year next year. He finally starting getting his swagger back the last few games. I predict that he'll work very, very hard during the off season on his offensive game along with getting stronger. Need him starting at PF next year.

A few close / bad calls become much harder to overcome when you only score 55 points a game. At some point they were going to have to outscore somebody to win. I am sure Michigan averages more than 61 points per game. Defense was not the problem, this team just could not score enough points consistently to win a title.

Kinda reminds me of the 1999 - 2000 squad that had 5 guys who averaged double figure scoring but the leading scorer was Etan Thomas at only 13.6. That team seemed to have enough guys who could score but as a team they struggled at times to score.

I hope to see Jermi continue to develop, he has shown the ability to score both inside and outside. Next year we could have a more typical Syracuse front line with 2 forwards that need to be guarded everywhere on the court. Southerland just did not have enough balance in his game to be much of a factor when the three ball was not falling.

I also hope to see Coleman become an effective low post scorer and a big body to be an enforcer in the paint on defense. The front line has the potential to be very good...

i know that JB talked post presser about how good our defense played but REBOUNDING is the period at the end of every defensive stop and mcgary seemed to have a mitt on every MU miss they put up first half.
WANTED: BIG MAN COACH!

When you allow the disappointment from not winning to fade, this season was spectacular in the sense that we looked to be absolutely toast coming down the stretch, yet did some truly great things that will make this a memorable season.

1. Final Four
2. 30 wins
3. BET Finals
4. We made it to the final four with one (Indiana) or even two (Marquette) truly significant upsets, can't remember the last time we've significantly outperformed expectations in the tournament - that felt, and will as we reflect in years to come, feel really really good.
5. JB and the team showed incredible resilience. This was a team that proved to have significant, significant challenges on the offensive side of the ball, yet it worked at shaping itself and developing its strength on the defensive side to overcome the offensive challenges enough to make it to Atlanta.
6. Second consecutive season to the Elite Eight or beyond ..... first time in program history.

It's painful to lose, especially to an opponent that you could play with, but this season will be remembered as a special one on a go forward. Much different feeling than 2010 when all we are left with were excuses (good or not) as to why we didn't perform up to the very very high expectations we set for ourselves.

i know that JB talked post presser about how good our defense played but REBOUNDING is the period at the end of every defensive stop and mcgary seemed to have a mitt on every MU miss they put up first half.

I hear you. I'm not convinced its the coaching as much as it is the zone and players we have playing in it. McGary was an animal in pursuit of the ball. Big Rick and Paul Harris were two guys that were like that, but we typically don't have guys with that kind of mentality/motor. Could they be better? I am sure they could, but I think a big part of it is the kind of kids we recruit......long, lean, quick ..... rather than big and physical. The one guy we have that might fit that description (Coleman) couldn't get off of the bench this season.

This season provided a great lesson in overcoming adversity, bonding as a team, and making a run few thought possible. It taught us that Michigan fans can be reminded that they play more than football and hockey. It taught us that our coaching staff, which clearly may have had more than a few distractions (Hopkins' flirtations with at least USC, the specter of an NCAA investigation, since we all KNOW Kentucky is clean) off the court, could still get the team in position to make a run.

Especially during the BET I never would've expected Elite 8, let alone Final Four. I'll take it.

I wish JB had multiple titles. He deserves them. Like the rest of Central NY in the past 25 or so years, he keeps working hard and grinding it out but still seems to come up just short of glory.

JB said that the main reason we beat TJ Ford and Texas in '03 was because our offense finally played a complete game, otherwise we'd have probably lost.
It's always been about offense w/ this team- the defense was as good or better than any we've ever had. But put in proper perspective, this turned out to be one helluva year. LGO
SUball

They only got three more boards than we did. McGary was a horse, but our guys hit the boards hard in the second half.
Our guys played hard, they just didn't have their best offensive game. Loved the guts these guys showed at the end of the season when many had written them off.

Great season and looking forward to a good one next year.

JB said that the main reason we beat TJ Ford and Texas in '03 was because our offense finally played a complete game, otherwise we'd have probably lost.
It's always been about offense w/ this team- the defense was as good or better than any we've ever had. But put in proper perspective, this turned out to be one helluva year. LGO
SUball

That 2003 team could flat out score (except when playing UConn). I never felt they were out of a game. I recall a few come from behind victories that year including the tournament against Oklahoma State when they fell behind by 17 early. I was never worried, I knew they blew there wad and the 'cuse would overtake them. Very different this year though, this team needed to assume control early and take the air out of the ball late to shorten the game.

That 2003 team could flat out score (except when playing UConn). I never felt they were out of a game. I recall a few come from behind victories that year including the tournament against Oklahoma State when they fell behind by 17 early. I was never worried, I knew they Ok St. blew there wad and the 'cuse would overtake them. Very different this year though, this team needed to assume control early and take the air out of the ball late to shorten the game.
Exactly.
We had argurably one of the best scorers in NBA history in Melo.
I think JB's point was that Texas had a team that was gonna score in bunches- & if we'd had an OSU-like scoring drought, it wouldn't have been enough to beat them. Struggling early cost us in every game this year. It is what it is. :noidea:

The thing is in the first half, McGary wasn't actually rebounding. They had a great game plan where they didn't actually try to get the board, they tried to just tip it back out to the guards. Smart move but eventually JB adjusted to that as well.

Southie needed to be far more aggressive on the boards all year; last night once again showed how he can easily be pushed around. Grant was a beast in there and I look forward to seeing him rule next year.

I hear you. I'm not convinced its the coaching as much as it is the zone and players we have playing in it. McGary was an animal in pursuit of the ball. Big Rick and Paul Harris were two guys that were like that, but we typically don't have guys with that kind of mentality/motor. Could they be better? I am sure they could, but I think a big part of it is the kind of kids we recruit......long, lean, quick ..... rather than big and physical. The one guy we have that might fit that description (Coleman) couldn't get off of the bench this season.
I agree - we've always had issues with offensive boards. IMO Grant has shown signs of helping to fill that rebounder role for us, contributing 8 boards in like 17 mins of action last night. I recall one sequence in particular last night where he showed the kind of mentality/motor you mention. I keep reminding myself he's a true-F, and will fill physically mature. I think he could really step up next year, as he did when Southerland was out this year.

I think one stat not many have mentioned was the second chance opportunities. They must of had at least 5 or 6 crucial ones that lead to more points for them. But honestly we just didn't play well in the first half, we looked lost minus CJ.

Absolutely agree with Jake's post -- fell just short of a big comeback last night, but the team maxed out with the run through the BET and into the Final 4. The team, coaches and fans should be proud of what they achieved. By a close margin, it wasn't our night.

Next year -- if CJ returns, the front court is very promising. Grant -- well, it is obvious he will make a huge leap. Roberson should be an ideal 3rd forward. Have to expect that Keita and Rak will improve year over year as much as they did this year, and Dejaun pushes into the mix. All good. And more depth and flexibility than this year.

Then, guard play -- so highly dependent on what the two frosh can provide, both as distributors and at the top of the zone.

Exactly.
We had argurably one of the best scorers in NBA history in Melo.
I think JB's point was that Texas had a team that was gonna score in bunches- & if we'd had an OSU-like scoring drought, it wouldn't have been enough to beat them. Struggling early cost us in every game this year. It is what it is. :noidea:

2003 was such a beautful thing. They could beat you with defense, they could beat you with offense. They had both multiple three point shooters and size in the starting lineup and could bring the designated slashers Pace / Edelin off the bench to exploit the spacing on the floor.

I'm not saying Grant is Wallace or Melo but I have seen him this year hit three pointers, attack the basket off the driblle as well as show some explosiveness around the rim. He can also rebound! He has all the tools to pair with CJ next year ala Burgan / Wallace or Warrick / Melo.

I am not sure how they plan to use Gbinjie next year (never seen him play) but he seems like a guy Boehiem might play some at the two. This team could be long and athletic with a bit more scoring punch next year if they can find someone to run the point effectively.

I think Grant is up next. Every time I watch that kid play he impresses.
Beastly might not be the half of it with Jerami.

Nice writeup Jake. For me, that was a devastating 5th on BT. To me it seemed BT never got calls from the refs throughout his entire time - the OSU game and now this stand out. Used to be a bang/bang play went to the Offense. The behind the basket replay made me sick, the guy was clearly moving. No guarantees if the refs called it right though, those would have been tough free throws. Would have loved to see how it played out though.

Next year will be interesting. Good to Great bigs, lots of question marks at the guards and 3 pt shooting. Cooney's year was a disappointment to me and I certainly hope MG earns the start over him. I hope, and think, that Ennis will come in a lot more game ready than others. But it still looks like a lot of question marks at the guard and shooting.

The thing is in the first half, McGary wasn't actually rebounding. They had a great game plan where they didn't actually try to get the board, they tried to just tip it back out to the guards. Smart move but eventually JB adjusted to that as well.

Southie needed to be far more aggressive on the boards all year; last night once again showed how he can easily be pushed around. Grant was a beast in there and I look forward to seeing him rule next year.

Yep. Good points. James struggled early on that end. Jerami brought it and wanted to rebound. He played better defense as well. I was more disappointed with James's D and rebounding last night than his O. I really didn't think he had as many good looks as some people think. You have to impact the game in other ways.

Its not the type of recruit but attitude for rebounding. The best rebounder we have ever had was long lean and quick. That was DC, saw that play in early 1st half, James got offensive rebound, and McGary got a block the original DC would have given him a facial and 1. DC figured if he could get a hand on the ball it was his, he would tap the ball back into the air and go back up to get it, Rodman did it in the pro's for years.

Yep. Good points. James struggled early on that end. Jerami brought it and wanted to rebound. He played better defense as well. I was more disappointed with James's D and rebounding last night than his O. I really didn't think he had as many good looks as some people think. You have to impact the game in other ways.

in my opinion James never learned to make use of his length and athleticism to impact a game in areas other than jacking up threes. I think he could've been a much better rebounder and great off the ball defender, especially blocking shots. So goes his three's so goes James.

Thats why I am curious to see so many posts in other threads regarding next years lineup that do not have Grant in the starting lineup. I do not think there is any way he does not start, he will defend, provide points and rebound. He will be a stat stuffer who will be able to score in many ways. I believe an occasional three will be part of his game but it will not affect his over all game if they are not falling. Despite the lack of experience at point, this will be a much more well rounded team that will take pressure of Ennis.

Its not the type of recruit but attitude for rebounding. The best rebounder we have ever had was long lean and quick. That was DC, saw that play in early 1st half, James got offensive rebound, and McGary got a block the original DC would have given him a facial and 1. DC figured if he could get a hand on the ball it was his, he would tap the ball back into the air and go back up to get it, Rodman did it in the pro's for years.

I guess I was incorrectly using long and lean as a proxy for not particularly physical. Many of the "long lean" guys we have had haven't been the type to want to mix it up inside. They don't seem to like contact. I can understand that, its how I would play if I had the ability to play. Other guys really seem to relish the contact and are able to use their bodies to clear space and get after the ball. I feel like we more often than not have the first type and not the second type.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom