Some of you guys need to calm down. | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Some of you guys need to calm down.

Are we still waiting for the McCroskey story or did I miss it?

OrangeXtreme said:
The Daily Orange is 100% wrong. Kentucky Men’s Basketball Signs Four in Fall Signing Period | UK Wildcats News LEXINGTON, Ky. – Continuing a trend that started with the arrival of head coach John Calipari, the Kentucky men’s basketball program has once again put together one of the strongest recruiting classes in the country, signing four of the nation’s top players during the early fall signing period. Highly rated prospects Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Quade Green, Nick Richards and P.J. Washington have all inked national letters of intent with UK.

I saw that too. If that is true I wonder why the DO made up the LOI story. They supposedly wrote what Green told them.

I saw that too. If that is true I wonder why the DO made up the LOI story. They supposedly wrote what Green told them.

We're all in agreement that Green could sign his LOI a few days after the deadline and backdate it, right?

Maybe the DO misinterpreted Green's comment that he was still undecided at the deadline and assumed that he couldn't sign until next April.

In any event, if KY is acknowledging him, they must have his paperwork.

We're all in agreement that Green could sign his LOI a few days after the deadline and backdate it, right?

Maybe the DO misinterpreted Green's comment that he was still undecided at the deadline and assumed that he couldn't sign until next April.

In any event, if KY is acknowledging him, they must have his paperwork.

Kentucky has the LOI.

OrangeXtreme said:
We're all in agreement that Green could sign his LOI a few days after the deadline and backdate it, right? Maybe the DO misinterpreted Green's comment that he was still undecided at the deadline and assumed that he couldn't sign until next April. In any event, if KY is acknowledging him, they must have his paperwork.

I'm not in agreement that it can be backdated.

Not backdated. Just held after signing for a few days, then submitted.
Apparently schools have up to 2 weeks, or something like that, to get signed NLI's in.

Bottom line is- UK is stating they have a signed NLI for Green, so apparently they do.
Regardless of when they received it.

Redshirting him could only help him in this scenario because he is not ready to play yet at this level. After his redshirt year if he doesnt progress to their standards they will recruit over him, force him out, give him the Mookie Jones treatment, or do him like they did Louie M from St. Raymonds. They don't care. It's about winning at this level. Now this is number 22 to tell you that is why the kid should do what is best for him when and how he wants to do it regardless of what any staff member or fan thinks.

Having a really hard time with your take on what is owed the players by the coaching staff. They recruit them, bring them in, work with them and give them the opportunity to win playing time. I think they deserve to be treated fairly and honestly. If a player doesn't win playing time based on the way he performs in practice and on the court what do you think it is that he is entitled to? When you have 10-12 players on a roster they can't all be the stud that plays 40+ minutes per game.

One of the biggest problems here is the confusion that folks have over the reason kids should be going to school and participating in an NCAA sport. It should be to get an education and, if you happen to be good enough, to get an opportunity at a professional career. In that environment everyone of the kids mentioned is getting what they should be in school to get...an education. If they don't capitalize on their opportunity on the court that is not necessarily the coaching staff's fault. Could be 100 reasons; injury, lack of commitment by the player, poor attitude, kid never developed (physically/mentally) as anticipated, better players came in following him and he couldn't keep up. Ultimately, if they come out after 4 years and weren't as successful on the court has they had dreamed going in, they have gotten a free education and are well set to begin real life.

Not backdated. Just held after signing for a few days, then submitted.
Apparently schools have up to 2 weeks, or something like that, to get signed NLI's in.

Bottom line is- UK is stating they have a signed NLI for Green, so apparently they do.
Regardless of when they received it.

They had the NLI in the middle of last week, from what I've heard.

What is the mechanism for preventing someone from backdating it, if it doesn't have to be submitted or witnessed by someone from the school when signed? If the athlete and their parent or guardian are each willing to back date, how is anyone really going to know?

I think the windows are that the kid needs to sign it within 7 days of the date it is issued. I suspect the school can place any date they want on it, but with a seven day signing window, probably place the first day of the window on the LOI. The kid then has to sign and date (a) within the window and (b) within seven days of the date of the LOI was issued (dated by the school). The next requirement I believe is that the school must file the signed NLI with the conference with 14 days of it being signed.

That leaves some wiggle room for the kid and their guardian to sign up to 14 days after the close of the signing window and place a date within the window on the letter when they sign it.

Might not be 100% above board, but I am asking the question; is there mechanism that prevents that?

Last edited:
Yeah JB really did Louie wrong, He should have put him right in the starting lineup after their little "discussion" in the locker room. Holy cow...

This thread is halarious! What I said was, "or the Louie M treatment." What do you think I was insinuating? Notice McCroskey wasn't at Syracuse too much longer after that. The hypocrisy in this thread blows my mind. These same people on here attacking the 18 year kid are the same people that have nothing to say about Tyus Battle backing out of his verbal to Michigan to join us. Finally, I wouldn't care if I accepted a job offer somewhere, if a better situation came after that I'm taking the better situation for myself and my family. Hopefully the adults would understand that. But if not oh well, the world still turns.

Last edited:
What is the mechanism for preventing someone from backdating it, if it doesn't have to be submitted or witnessed by someone from the school when signed? If the athlete and their parent or guardian are each willing to back date, how is anyone really going to know?

I think the windows are that the kid needs to sign it within 7 days of the date it is issued. I suspect the school can place any date they want on it, but with a seven day signing window, probably place the first day of the window on the LOI. The kid then has to sign and date (a) within the window and (b) within seven days of the date of the LOI was issued (dated by the school). The next requirement I believe is that the school must file the signed NLI with the conference with 14 days of it being signed.

That leaves some wiggle room for the kid and their guardian to sign up to 14 days after the close of the signing window and place a date within the window on the letter when they sign it.

Might not be 100% above board, but I am asking the question; is there mechanism that prevents that?
What would be the point? If the kid doesn't want out it won't matter and if the kid does want out he'll report you.

Not to mention, I'm sure the date is verified in some way...notary, post office, UPS...something.

This thread is halarious! What I said was, or the Louie M treatment. What do you think I was insinuating? Notice McCroskey wasn't at Syracuse too much longer after that. The hypocrisy in this thread blows my mind. These same people on here attacking the 18 year kid are the same people that have nothing to say about Tyus Battle backing out of his verbal to Michigan to join us. Finally, I wouldn't care if I accepted a job offer somewhere, if a better situation came after that I'm taking the better situation for myself and my family. Hopefully the adults would understand that. But if not oh well, the world still turns.

Job offer really isn't an apples to apples comparison; unless your skill set is very highly specialized (ie. there aren't others readily available to fill the void you would leave) and there is a limited window within which the company can hire people to fill the position or be forced to go without. Under those circumstances I think most people with integrity are going to be relatively straight forward with the recruiter that his trying to hire them.

Not to mention, I'm sure the date is verified in some way...notary, post office, UPS...something.

That is my question, and if you look at the form online it doesn't appear to be verified.

Not here to flame. I know it sucks to have the rug pulled out in recruiting. I do have a serious question after reading some threads. I keep reading how Green lead the staff, did them dirty, etc., etc.,... I obviously didn't follow all of that. But what exactly did he do? Did he promise them he was coming to SU and tell them there was no need to recruit any other point guards? If so, then that is wrong. Unless he did that, and early enough in the process to make a difference, I can't see that did anything wrong just by listing them as a favorite and making multiple visits. To me, not committing is the same as telling the staff that I'm not sure yet.

That is my question, and if you look at the form online it doesn't appear to be verified.
I'm guessing there was a mailed version that was postmarked or something similar. I don't see UK leaving room for debate when it's so easy to avoid.

Michigan wouldn't let him handle the ball, and saw him as a 2/3. Same with Duke. We offered to let him handle the ball more. That's why he's here and not there.
WRONG. His mom wanted him in range of watching him play. Other son still playing HS. Wanted ability to support both sons. Where you get your info. Totally off

721Comstock said:
Not backdated. Just held after signing for a few days, then submitted. Apparently schools have up to 2 weeks, or something like that, to get signed NLI's in. Bottom line is- UK is stating they have a signed NLI for Green, so apparently they do. Regardless of when they received it.

If it was held, what's the proof it was signed in time?

IMO, one of two things is true.

He either signed and submitted the LOI to Kentucky by the signing period deadline or he didn't.

But what exactly did he do? Did he promise them he was coming to SU and tell them there was no need to recruit any other point guards?
Supposedly committed to coaches the weekend before but wanted to make his announcement at his HS madness. Prior to that SU dropped out of recruiting any other PG so as to not hurt Quade's feelings. Matt Coleman was scheduled for an official, Quade suddenly showed up and then Coleman's official was cancelled. Numerous other PGs weren't even tendered an offer despite staff interest.

Supposedly committed to coaches the weekend before but wanted to make his announcement at his HS madness. Prior to that SU dropped out of recruiting any other PG so as to not hurt Quade's feelings. Matt Coleman was scheduled for an official, Quade suddenly showed up and then Coleman's official was cancelled. Numerous other PGs weren't even tendered an offer despite staff interest.

Yes, I understand this weekend and I understand Cuse put all of their eggs in his basket. What I'm asking is what did he do, before this weekend and while it made a difference, other than listing Cuse as a favorite and visiting campus multiple times?