Somebody 'Splain to me How Minnesooooota... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Somebody 'Splain to me How Minnesooooota...

No way they have the season we are having next year. There is zero excuse in year 4 to have this season. It is the blind faith many of you diehards have in Dino that is blinding you. Coyle, Fleck and the Minnesota university decided to seriously commit to football and this is the result. You guys aren’t even seeing the Dino that walks the side lines this year is a shell of who he has been. The guy is checked out also. There is serious issues on the hill and we shouldn’t be throwing stones when we are living in a glass house.
4778728A-31CA-4FEA-96EC-24B624767D02.jpeg

PJ Fleck has taken over programs and improved them as a head coach. Started out 1-11 at Western Michigan then went 8-5,8-5 and then 13-1. At Minnesota he went 5-7, 7-6 and now 9-0 to this point in 2019. His team was ready for the big stage yesterday. Not a giant Fleck fan but kudos to his team for seizing the opportunity and beating Penn State. I'm a fan at least for the day of anybody who beats Penn State. Here's to hoping Coach Babers can energize his team for the last three games. Hey, anybody can dream. Go Orange!!!!!

Awful OOC schedule. Play in the worst division in P5. That helps a lot.

Opened against South Dakota State at home.
Played Fresno State on the road (4-4). Won in OT.
Barely beat Georgia Southern at home.
Barely beat 3-6 Purdue.
Beat a bad Illinois team.
Beat a bad (4-5) Nebraska team.
Rutgers. Enough said.
Maryland. Enough said.
Then Penn State.

I think this is the first team they have beat that has a winning record. Maybe South Dakota State or Georgia Southern do. If so, it really doesn’t matter given who they are and who they play.
I agree with you for the most part, but that bad Illinois team you mention became bowl eligible yesterday.

Awful OOC schedule. Play in the worst division in P5. That helps a lot.

Opened against South Dakota State at home.
Played Fresno State on the road (4-4). Won in OT.
Barely beat Georgia Southern at home.
Barely beat 3-6 Purdue.
Beat a bad Illinois team.
Beat a bad (4-5) Nebraska team.
Rutgers. Enough said.
Maryland. Enough said.
Then Penn State.

I think this is the first team they have beat that has a winning record. Maybe South Dakota State or Georgia Southern do. If so, it really doesn’t matter given who they are and who they play.

I wouldn't call Illinois bad. Agree on the other teams

Oh god, we’re already starting excuses for how we could lose to Rutgers. We won’t have any tape on them and it’ll be the game they are circling on their calendar I’m sure. Wow, we are at rock bottom if we’re already manufacturing excuses for a Rutgers game. At least some of the lame excuses for MD were logical but Rutgers!!??
I think I’m ashamed today.
OSU, MSU, PSU, Mich and Neb but Rutgers will be circling the Cuse game?

No way they have the season we are having next year. There is zero excuse in year 4 to have this season. It is the blind faith many of you diehards have in Dino that is blinding you. Coyle, Fleck and the Minnesota university decided to seriously commit to football and this is the result. You guys aren’t even seeing the Dino that walks the side lines this year is a shell of who he has been. The guy is checked out also. There is serious issues on the hill and we shouldn’t be throwing stones when we are living in a glass house.
You seem very certain we don’t take it seriously but their current AD was first hired by us. They built their own stadium well before Coyle and Fleck were there, and didn’t take it seriously enough to put a roof on it.
Coyle ran away from the challenge and I think it’s because he saw that the little private school didn’t have the pockets of the big state school. The ACC didn’t have the payouts the BigTen does. He’s a good eye for coaching talent, but definitely shied away from a challenge.
IIRC, you were telling everyone steel was in fabrication when a rendering leaked, and wouldn’t listen to reason when others with knowledge such as myself suggested otherwise. You strike me as a very polar reactionary person prone to H0T Takes. Maybe next time take a pause.

I would not say that Dino Babers has 'checked out" but I do see something different this year that I nor anyone else I talk to can put a finger on. Coach Babers does not seem to have the same fire/energy that he has had since he came to Syracuse University. I am not the only one who feels that something is different this year. I have heard no rumors nor do I have any inside information but I really do feel like something has been a distraction or drain. I noticed it during fall late summer/fall camp and it has continued throughout the 2019 season. The whole team seems to be in a season long funk. I seriously thought I was imagining things in the beginning, but then several people who follow the program closely and who are knowledgeable about football asked me if I have heard anything because "something isn't right up there" (this was the most frequently used phrase). I sure hope I am imagining things but that little voice that talks to me says no. ;)

lol

I’m not throwing any stones. I’ve also run out of good things to say about *this* year. I’ve also seen a huge commitment to Dino, to football, etc. I also saw us win 10 games last year and were a 4th down from beating Clemson two years in a row. We were the 2nd best team in the ACC last year.

I thought before the Penn St game that Minnesota was a product of an easy schedule, luck, and a decent team. But maybe they are very good? Top 3 in the Big Ten?

Still not sure how what they are doing is all that better than what we did last year.

I was assured on this board that Fleck was a fraud, a douche, pompous, phony, a used car salesman etc.
Guy can, coach, and recruit. I'm not at all surprised.

Last edited:
I agree with you for the most part, but that bad Illinois team you mention became bowl eligible yesterday.
That might be true, but a bowl eligible team can still be bad. Let‘s look at their schedule a little closer.

They beat an 0-9 Akron team.
They barely beat a 2-8 UConn team 31-23.
They lost to a bad 4-5 Eastern Michigan team.
They lost to a bad 4-5 Nebraska team.
They lost to Minnesota.
They lost to a decent Michigan team.
They upset a decent Wisconsin team. This was their one good win of the season.
They beat a bad 4-6 Purdue team.
They beat another horrible program in Rutgers.
They beat a bad 4-5 Michigan State program that is reeling.

One win over a team with a winning record. This is not a good team. They played an awful OOC schedule and the B1G has a bunch of bad programs in it. Good for them for taking advantage but they are still a bad program. They barely beat UConn and they freaking lost to Eastern Michigan. Not impressed.

Agreed. They didn’t even play a P5 out of conference. Pedo St win is legit but come one. Fresno, San Diego st and Georgia southern. Purdue, rutgirls, Illinois, MD, (4-5) Nebraska. Stars have aligned a Dow they’re playing with uber confidence.

next year we have Rutgers away which will be tough cause we’ll get their A-game and a new coach, lot of emotion, but the OOC is as soft as it gets.
lets not make create pre- excuses in the event we lay an egg against Rutgers.

I would not say that Dino Babers has 'checked out" but I do see something different this year that I nor anyone else I talk to can put a finger on. Coach Babers does not seem to have the same fire/energy that he has had since he came to Syracuse University. I am not the only one who feels that something is different this year. I have heard no rumors nor do I have any inside information but I really do feel like something has been a distraction or drain. I noticed it during fall late summer/fall camp and it has continued throughout the 2019 season. The whole team seems to be in a season long funk. I seriously thought I was imagining things in the beginning, but then several people who follow the program closely and who are knowledgeable about football asked me if I have heard anything because "something isn't right up there" (this was the most frequently used phrase). I sure hope I am imagining things but that little voice that talks to me says no. ;)
he knew how bad we would be and had appeared overwhelmed by it, until recently. he has looked lost. i don't know. what i do feel is he has had imho there has been misplaced loyalty to individuals . maybe he has been overwhelmed??? the apparent lack of coaching has been my biggest concern. i agree there has been a change in dino---and a void in leadership at all levels.--whatever it is, i hope he can weather the storm

One thing I noticed was the amount of P5 transfers he had on his team that were difference makers. Seemed to me to be a point of emphasis in their recruiting.

I believe for lower tier P5 teams this is a way to help build a team and compete.

Last edited:
Fleck is a great coach and has done a great job everywhere he’s been. I doubt we see anything close to the same falloff there next year that we saw this year. We’ll get a better idea about Dino over the next three games and next year. By this time next year, we’ll be able to make a better determination on his service and future.

Absolutely. No way fleck has the year we have and is as checked out as Dino seems to be with his sideline demeanor

Hey, on an aside, those awesome drone pics you took a ways back (one in your avatar, etc.) still flying? If so, maybe you can fly it around the Dome during this roof construction to capture some more great pics? :)

Hey, on an aside, those awesome drone pics you took a ways back (one in your avatar, etc.) still flying? If so, maybe you can fly it around the Dome during this roof construction to capture some more great pics? :)
If the campus has a drone policy you could get in a lot of trouble for this if it's not cleared. Would definitely be careful there.

People probably wondered that about us last year

Our football history is far superior to the Minnesota football history.

The Gophers have not made any national noise since I began watching college football in 1968.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom