Somebody's Got Some Explaining to Do | Syracusefan.com

Somebody's Got Some Explaining to Do

If it was inadvertent you would think he pauses and apologizes. That is the normal thing to do. These things can often look inadvertent. It's a bit premature to call it anything but worth double checking. Also- important to listen to the cheerleader most importantly. If she feels it was a nothing burger then forget and move on. Shouldn't she have the first say?

If it was inadvertent you would think he pauses and apologizes. That is the normal thing to do. These things can often look inadvertent. It's a bit premature to call it anything but worth double checking. Also- important to listen to the cheerleader most importantly. If she feels it was a nothing burger then forget and move on. Shouldn't she have the first say?

Did he even know that’s where he hit her?

She doesn’t even flinch.

Last edited:
Yes and no. When Buddy punched that dude no one apparently cared about what the other kid said. Maybe this girl has been advised to not say anything. Maybe she could potentially pursue legal action. Maybe she is embarrassed and doesn't want the attention. I can see both sides of this, but regardless, it shouldn't impact his ability to play in the next game. But, it does appear from that angle, he is guilty. But, photo angles can also be very misleading.

Did he even know that’s where he hit here?

She doesn’t even flinch.

The thing is he lifted his hands to chest level. That is the issue. These are the kind of things where history shows far too quick of an inadvertent dismissal.

To me it's a get to the bottom of it, see what the cheerleader says and land on something that either teaches a lesson or is 100 pct a nothing burger.

Also her not flinching is not even something to mention here. That shouldn't matter. Let's see how this plays out. Hopefully without unnecessary harm to anyone

Yes and no. When Buddy punched that dude no one apparently cared about what the other kid said. Maybe this girl has been advised to not say anything. Maybe she could potentially pursue legal action. Maybe she is embarrassed and doesn't want the attention. I can see both sides of this, but regardless, it shouldn't impact his ability to play in the next game. But, it does appear from that angle, he is guilty. But, photo angles can also be very misleading.

Buddy's situation can't be a comparable example for obvious reasons.

I think it shouldn't be ignored and should be handled with care as well.

Buddy's situation can't be a comparable example for obvious reasons.

I think it shouldn't be ignored and should be handled with care as well.
I'm not saying it should be ignored. It's weird, though. He's got both arms extended and looking in the other direction. Unless he admits it was intentional, could they or would they really pursue a suspension or a legal angle at this point. Is this something that Gloria Allred would get involved in?

I'm not saying it should be ignored. It's weird, though. He's got both arms extended and looking in the other direction. Unless he admits it was intentional, could they or would they really pursue a suspension or a legal angle at this point. Is this something that Gloria Allred would get involved in?

I can't see immediate action being taken here unless the cheerleader is aggressive in response. Likely something that goes away quick or drags out and has impacts after the tourney.

The thing is he lifted his hands to chest level. That is the issue. These are the kind of things where history shows far too quick of an inadvertent dismissal.

To me it's a get to the bottom of it, see what the cheerleader says and land on something that either teaches a lesson or is 100 pct a nothing burger.

Also her not flinching is not even something to mention here. That shouldn't matter. Let's see how this plays out. Hopefully without unnecessary harm to anyone

I don’t want to speak for the commenter who mentioned flinching. But based on the context, he brought up flinching to ask the question whether or not Mathurin actually touched her.

In that regard, I think it’s a fair question. Would a woman in that position flinch if a guy randomly touched her boob…? I don’t know for sure.

If he had brought up flinching in the context of “well the cheerleader didn’t even flinch so it didn’t bother her that he grabbed her boob” then I agree it would be inappropriate to bring up flinching.

I don’t want to speak for the commenter who mentioned flinching. But based on the context, he brought up flinching to ask the question whether or not Mathurin actually touched her.

In that regard, I think it’s a fair question. Would a woman in that position flinch if a guy randomly touched her boob…? I don’t know for sure.

If he had brought up flinching in the context of “well the cheerleader didn’t even flinch so it didn’t bother her that he grabbed her boob” then I agree it would be inappropriate to bring up flinching.
I believe she blinked and possibly turned her eyes in that direction. Would that constitute a "flinch".

I hear you, however a good friend of mine I went to HS is a collegiate cheerleading coach and high level cheer programs are very organized and specific around holding position and form at certain moments. Appeared this was one of those times so it's not easy to try and say what would an average person do if bumped this way.

Complete mistake, he put his hand out to high five people like a lot of athletes do walking off court. I think he was obviously loaded with emotion and just didn’t realize who was in front of him when he looked up. You see him pull his hand back immediately because it was a mistake. Nothing here

Complete mistake, he put his hand out to high five people like a lot of athletes do walking off court. I think he was obviously loaded with emotion and just didn’t realize who was in front of him when he looked up. You see him pull his hand back immediately because it was a mistake. Nothing here

Let's see what they find out. You can't conclude anything from only watching the video.

Let's see what they find out. You can't conclude anything from only watching the video.
I actually think you can conclude a lot from it. But that’s my opinion. It’s simple, if the cheerleader thinks it’s inadvertent then it is. Move on, mistakes happen in life. To post it on social media with a caption that negatively portrays the situation, like get a dang life. Can’t believe what makes “news” these days. If it was a male cheerleader and a female bball player made the same mistake, it wouldn’t ever be brought up. It’s all about the optics of what sells “clicks”.

I actually think you can conclude a lot from it. But that’s my opinion. It’s simple, if the cheerleader thinks it’s inadvertent then it is. Move on, mistakes happen in life. To post it on social media with a caption that negatively portrays the situation, like get a dang life. Can’t believe what makes “news” these days. If it was a male cheerleader and a female bball player made the same mistake, it wouldn’t ever be brought up. It’s all about the optics of what sells “clicks”.

So you agree we need the cheerleaders input. Good. That is my point from the start and thus something you cant take from the video alone unless you are a telepath.

This video being circulated is not a bad thing. It just ensures something like this, if it were more than nothing is addressed.

I’m having a hard time seeing where the hit actually lands, if that makes any sense. Looks like he missed the actual boob. And it looks like his fingertips are the only things that hit her.

We live in a strange world when this is our debate of the day.

I don’t think he premeditated it after his bow. Watching the video seemed like he just raised his hands for high fives. Bows, raises hands, walks off, head is down. my off the cuff reaction was that it was inadvertent and if he made contact he could’ve just as easily thought he inadvertently tapped her shoulder. There’d be no reason to stop and apologize for that. (Players raise their arms and hands out like that, all the time, as they walk off.)

Her not flinching is irrelevant yes, it’s just something I observed.

Last edited:
I’m having a hard time seeing where the hit actually lands, if that makes any sense. Looks like he missed the actual boob. And it looks like his fingertips are the only things that hit her.

Don't worry. By the end of the day, you might see this tape broken down in much greater detail than the Zeprauder film. Unfortunately.

There was a time when Buddy's punch was as much as a pat on the back too.