Someone convince me that Silent G deserves the backup 3 minutes over Roberson | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Someone convince me that Silent G deserves the backup 3 minutes over Roberson

I'm going way off the boat here, but I can't see it being a bad thing to keep Cooney's legs fresh for late 2nd half and play Buss or of course MG at the 2, if Grant's playing, to spell him early. He's honestly the one I think is logging too many minutes, and its affecting his shot when we need it... Remember when GMAC was burned at the end of the year and we fell hard in the tourney. We need TC on his game in March!
GMac was not burned - he was injured - at least get your facts straight.

I suspect with JG hurt (backs can be chronic, so this issue may not go away anytime soon), Roberson will see more minutes.

We saw more MG than TR against Maryland because JG could not continue in the game per plan. Mid-game like that, JB needed to have someone he could trust more - hence, MG.

But going forward (pun intended), if JB can PLAN to have JG out more, he can PLAN to have TR in more.

Can anybody give me one good reason why Roberson should be playing minutes right now? I'm assuming that's what this post was geared towards but I'm wondering why it's being pushed so hard. They guy has done literally nothing with the court time he's had.

I'm not crapping on him and he'll be fine down the road, hut he's just not ready right now.

I think he's looked lost the past few games, but I thought for a few games he was showing some flashes of "getting it." Ultimately it's sort of the same pattern we have with lots of Frosh, it looks like they're close, but never get the minutes to establish a comfort zone.

I rarely agree with it - but it's JB's philosophy and it's not changing.

I think Roberson could give us an edge on the boards some games - still think he appears to be game ready with that aspect of his skillset, but barring emergencies he's not going to get the time, so when he does get his few minutes, expect him to fail.

Everytime I've seen him play he's done very well in the zone. He seems to be much more prepared for the zone than any frosh I can recall. Seriously.

How many shots has he taken for you to say it's awful? I've seen him attempt maybe 5-10 15 (or less) footers. I wouldn't call those awful shots. And I seem to remember the entire board melting down over CJ's shot selection the other night.

And once again, you show your true colors, the same ones you show over on the OT board. You remind me of something that rhymes with fozzle. I was trying to be funny, you're just trying to be a jerk.

Yeah, I've seen him rush a few shots, but if you tuned in at the wrong time you would probably be wondering why JG ever took a shot more than 5 feet from the rim, but at times he's shown himself to be quite competent from 10-15 feet. I'm sure part of the problem for Roberson is simply he isn't getting the minutes. Oh well - won't change.

I think his D has been acceptable, mainly because I don't think JG or Fair are the world's greatest in that respect. I don't think we lose THAT much with him in there. (relatively speaking, and on D, obviously we lose a TON overall)

Last edited:
He rebounds well, he seems active in the zone (covers more ground than Grant or CJ), he beats the other team down the floor (and all the rest of his teammates) pretty consistently. Other than that, oh and the nice little fake and drive he had one game, I can't really think of another reason, except oh yeah, our forwards appear to be injured or dead tired.

This.

I'm going way off the boat here, but I can't see it being a bad thing to keep Cooney's legs fresh for late 2nd half and play Buss or of course MG at the 2, if Grant's playing, to spell him early. He's honestly the one I think is logging too many minutes, and its affecting his shot when we need it... Remember when GMAC was burned at the end of the year and we fell hard in the tourney. We need TC on his game in March!

GMAC wasnt burned...his groin was shredded and he couldnt walk

They did nothimg with extended minutes against the preseason teams, why would u expect them to be that much better against conference team?
I am not expecting them to go out there and start banging down 3 pointers and scoring in double figures, their role would be more to get a blow for Fair, Grant and Ennis. Maybe even have them come in with fresh legs and full court press the other team to change things up. We had a series in the last game where we had 5 possessions and only 2 shots taken and only 1 that really was a decent look. That is what started our 12 point lead melt down aginst MD. Frankly it wouldn't have mattered if we pulled the whole starting 5 as that was a terrible stretch. And, TO's are happening because there is no spring to the guards steps. As for the preseason,how quick do we forget that we played alot of tuff teams and a good schedule, wasn't like a cupcake schedule of old, and like any players, you have to find a rythm. We got Grant nursing a sore back, Baye a sore knee, which fundamentally leaves us with 5 healthy starters. Put foul trouble in there, and now we got to play the hurt guys as we have zero depth. There is a reason we have built up leads and then watched teams close on us at the end. Think about that for a minute. Even if they shoot 30%, that isn't much of a fallout from what we have been getting across the board of late, and those few minutes a game just might be the difference maker if they are called upon in the tournament. You can't be 6 deep and have any realistic expectations of cutting down the nets.

Question: I have noticed that this year in particular we are allowing teams to throw into the middle of the zone rather easily. Then that person can at will turn around and either have a 8-10 footer, drive and/or kick out for an open 3. We aren't even pressuring this person as Baye and Rak seem to be hanging out under the basket. When this happens we are moving all over the place and out of position for making rebounds. This year more than any other I see a major change in how we are apporoaching our defense. In addition, we can't get an open 3 it seems but other teams are getting way to many IMO. Thoughts here. Our middle was always a place to attack, and this is why we lost to an inferior BC team. Anyone else see what I am seeing here?

Question: I have noticed that this year in particular we are allowing teams to throw into the middle of the zone rather easily. Then that person can at will turn around and either have a 8-10 footer, drive and/or kick out for an open 3. We aren't even pressuring this person as Baye and Rak seem to be hanging out under the basket. When this happens we are moving all over the place and out of position for making rebounds. This year more than any other I see a major change in how we are apporoaching our defense. In addition, we can't get an open 3 it seems but other teams are getting way to many IMO. Thoughts here. Our middle was always a place to attack, and this is why we lost to an inferior BC team. Anyone else see what I am seeing here?

We lost to BC because when they threw into the post we collapsed allowing the kick outs for open 3's. It's not always about preventing the pass to the post but knowing how to react when it happens. BC beat us because they hit so many three's. If we would of let them shoot from the post, we win easily.

We lost to BC because when they threw into the post we collapsed allowing the kick outs for open 3's. It's not always about preventing the pass to the post but knowing how to react when it happens. BC beat us because they hit so many three's. If we would of let them shoot from the post, we win easily.
I've seen your plate on the road a couple of times, live in same area. I'll honk 3 times if I see you a third! LOL

I am in the camp that wishes Roberson would get more minutes, but it doesn't have anything to do with some perception that Roberson deserves the minutes. My desire to see him get more minutes comes entirely from the feeling that we need a competent back up forward that might be able to put the ball in the basket.

We've just been through a period where we didn't have Baye and that meant no option to shift Rak to forward. Now we are in a situation where Jerami is suffering from back problems. That is really scary to me. The fact that he didn't play at all over the last 3/4 of the game in a game played in his back yard (I assume he had a ton of friends and family there) scares the crap out of me in terms of how precarious his health situation may in fact be.

So I see Roberson as the guy who has the tools to be the most effective guy spelling our forwards. He isn't showing it right now, but more regular minutes, a clear role and a dose of confidence from his coach might help him get there and if it means a few mistakes today...it may be worth it in the big tournament at the end of the season.

I am in the camp that wishes Roberson would get more minutes, but it doesn't have anything to do with some perception that Roberson deserves the minutes. My desire to see him get more minutes comes entirely from the feeling that we need a competent back up forward that might be able to put the ball in the basket.

We've just been through a period where we didn't have Baye and that meant no option to shift Rak to forward. Now we are in a situation where Jerami is suffering from back problems. That is really scary to me. The fact that he didn't play at all over the last 3/4 of the game in a game played in his back yard (I assume he had a ton of friends and family there) scares the crap out of me in terms of how precarious his health situation may in fact be.

So I see Roberson as the guy who has the tools to be the most effective guy spelling our forwards. He isn't showing it right now, but more regular minutes, a clear role and a dose of confidence from his coach might help him get there and if it means a few mistakes today...it may be worth it in the big tournament at the end of the season.
Regardless, we need 1, 2, or maybe all three of the bench Amigo's to get some PT before the Tournament. I venture to guess it will be more of the same with 6 gouys hitting the court Saturday.

I understand your point. But to JB's defense if the mistakes of Roberson cost us games and those games cost us Buff/msg then it probably isn't worth in the big tournament sense.

And you have to believe that in JB's mind Roberson is not ready. JB wouldn't go with 6 if Roberson were in his mind even close. Just last year, JB put in Grant in similar situation. If Roberson were showing as well in JBs mind as Grant did last year, Roberson would be seeing more minutes.

Especially with Grant hurt, can someone explain to me what Gbinijie does to get preference for backup forward minutes over Roberson?

Not much. I guess he hits his open threes - which Cooney isn't doing right now so it gives us a little more of a threat from deep. That's about it.

I've seen your plate on the road a couple of times, live in same area. I'll honk 3 times if I see you a third! LOL

That's too funny! My wife has SU84X2...have you seen that one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom