Someone explain the OL to me | Syracusefan.com

Someone explain the OL to me

Scooch

Living Legend
I'll admit, I haven't spent nearly as much time following the program this season as I usually do. I barely knew when they were back practicing this summer, and have missed seeing several games this year. So I'll cop to being ignorant about a number of topics, and one of them is the offensive line.

Last season, we made some adjustments once that transfer kid bailed out, and the OL seemed functional the last few games of the year. This year I've read that we've lost six OLmen to injuries. However, when I look at the starting lineup, I see three guys who were starters last year.

I'm sincerely asking, can someone give me a timeline of the OL since the spring? Who got hurt, when, and how badly? Did we lose starters, depth, both? It seems that a lot of the rationale for why the O is so historically awful (again) is because of the OL, but I can't track why it's so bad.

Thanks in advance, hugs & kisses,
Scooch

OFFENSIVE LINE
Lettermen Returning (6): Matthew Bergeron (So.), Dakota Davis (R-Jr.), Patrick Davis (Sr.), Airon Servais (R-Sr.), Darius Tisdale (R-Jr.), Carlos Vettorello (R-So.)
Lettermen Lost (2): Evan Adams, Andrejas Duerig
Key 2019 Redshirts (1): Anthony Red (R-Fr.)
Key Newcomers (2): Chris Bleich (R-So.), Mark Petry (So.)
Starters Returning (4): Matthew Bergeron (So.), Dakota Davis (R-Jr.), Airon Servais (R-Sr.), Carlos Vettorello (R-So.)
Starters Lost (1): Evan Adams

#68 Airon Servais (R-Sr., 6-6, 291)
  • Enters 2020 with a team-best streak of 37 consecutive starts (33 at center, four at left tackle).
  • Has delivered 119.5 knockdown blocks over his 3,079 career snaps.
  • In 2019, tied for the team lead in snaps (940) and was third on the Orange with 47 knockdowns.
  • Team captain and winner of the 2019 Ben Schwartzwalder Award as Syracuse's exemplary football player.
#57 Dakota Davis (R-Jr., 6-5, 330)
  • Will miss at least a portion of the spring while recovering from injury.
  • Started all 12 games at right guard in 2019.
  • Second on the team with 50 knockdown blocks.
  • Credited with a career-high seven knockdowns at Florida State.
  • Became the first player in Syracuse history to win ACC Offensive Lineman of the Week honors after not allowing a sack and recording five knockdowns at Duke.
#52 Carlos Vettorello (R-So., 6-4, 287)
  • Started all 12 games last season, splitting time at tackle and center.
  • Tied for the team lead with 940 snaps played and dished out 21 knockdown blocks.
  • On the field for every offensive snap in five games (NC State, Pittsburgh, Florida State, Louisville, Wake Forest).
  • Named to the Pro Football Focus ACC Team of the Week after recording four knockdowns and not allowing a sack in 70 snaps versus Holy Cross.
#60 Matthew Bergeron (So., 6-4, 305)
  • Named to the 2019 Pro Football Focus All-Freshman Second Team.
  • Totaled 20 knockdown blocks in 425 snaps.
  • Started the last five games of the season at right tackle.
  • Syracuse averaged 215.6 yards rushing per game with Bergeron in the starting lineup, 61.6 yards more per contest than its season average (154.0).
  • At Florida State, became the first true freshman to start a game at tackle for the Orange since Quinn Ojinnaka versus Rutgers in 2002.
  • Attended Cégep de Thetford in Quebec. First player in Thetford history to receive an NCAA Division I football scholarship.

Notes: Four starters return up front – Servais (LT), Vettorello (C), D.Davis (RG) and Bergeron (RT) ... Servais went from center to left tackle and Vettorello moved from left tackle to center for the last three games of 2019 and the results spoke for themselves ... Redshirt junior Darius Tisdale will sport a new jersey number (56) and work as the first-string right guard until Davis is healthy ... Senior Patrick Davis and Austin Chandler are competing at left guard ... Davis is the more experienced of the two and is listed as the starter ... Redshirt sophomore Chris Bleich and true sophomore Mark Petry joined the program in January ... Bleich, who transferred to Syracuse from Florida after starting eight games at right guard for the Gators in 2019, will sit out the 2020 season unless he's granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA ... Petry and redshirt freshman Anthony Red are the primary backups at right and left tackle, respectively.

Red has a torn achilles.
Froumy's knee is in a brace.
Pat Davis is in a walking boot.
Dakota Davis missed 1/2 of 2020 before returning a few weeks ago.
Bleich was never eligible. Would have missed 1/2 of 2020 recovering from surgery anyways.
Petry is skinny.
Servais is playing on one leg.

Of the two true frosh OL, Josh Ilaoa is in the rotation. Garth Barclay has only seen action in 1 game.

OFFENSIVE LINE
Lettermen Returning (6): Matthew Bergeron (So.), Dakota Davis (R-Jr.), Patrick Davis (Sr.), Airon Servais (R-Sr.), Darius Tisdale (R-Jr.), Carlos Vettorello (R-So.)
Starters Returning (4): Matthew Bergeron (So.), Dakota Davis (R-Jr.), Airon Servais (R-Sr.), Carlos Vettorello (R-So.)

• Enters 2020 with a team-best streak of 37 consecutive starts (33 at center, four at left tackle).
  • In 2019, tied for the team lead in snaps (940) and was third on the Orange with 47 knockdowns.
  • Team captain and winner of the 2019 Ben Schwartzwalder Award as Syracuse's exemplary football player.
  • Became the first player in Syracuse history to win ACC Offensive Lineman of the Week honors after not allowing a sack and recording five knockdowns at Duke.
  • Tied for the team lead with 940 snaps played and dished out 21 knockdown blocks.
  • On the field for every offensive snap in five games (NC State, Pittsburgh, Florida State, Louisville, Wake Forest).
  • Named to the Pro Football Focus ACC Team of the Week after recording four knockdowns and not allowing a sack in 70 snaps versus Holy Cross.
  • Syracuse averaged 215.6 yards rushing per game with Bergeron in the starting lineup, 61.6 yards more per contest than its season average (154.0).
  • At Florida State, became the first true freshman to start a game at tackle for the Orange since Quinn Ojinnaka versus Rutgers in 2002.
  • Attended Cégep de Thetford in Quebec. First player in Thetford history to receive an NCAA Division I football scholarship.

Notes: Four starters return up front – Servais (LT), Vettorello (C), D.Davis (RG) and Bergeron (RT) ... Servais went from center to left tackle and Vettorello moved from left tackle to center for the last three games of 2019 and the results spoke for themselves ... Redshirt junior Darius Tisdale will sport a new jersey number (56) and work as the first-string right guard until Davis is healthy ... Senior Patrick Davis and Austin Chandler are competing at left guard ... Davis is the more experienced of the two and is listed as the starter ... Redshirt sophomore Chris Bleich and true sophomore Mark Petry joined the program in January ... Bleich, who transferred to Syracuse from Florida after starting eight games at right guard for the Gators in 2019, will sit out the 2020 season unless he's granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA ... Petry and redshirt freshman Anthony Red are the primary backups at right and left tackle, respectively.

Red has a torn achilles.
Bleich was never eligible. Would have missed 1/2 of 2020 recovering from surgery anyways.
Petry is skinny.

Of the two true frosh OL, Josh Ilaoa is in the rotation. Garth Barclay has only seen action in 1 game.

Did you just write all of this up on memory?

What do you think is realistic for next year. Are there any of the injuries that anyone is aware could be career threatening?

I'm going on the assumption that there's only one true freshman, Cruz, with a potential to see the field. The other 4 probably need a redshirt.

Did you just write all of this up on memory?

What do you think is realistic for next year. Are there any of the injuries that anyone is aware could be career threatening?

I'm going on the assumption that there's only one true freshman, Cruz, with a potential to see the field. The other 4 probably need a redshirt.

I learned "cut and paste" in Kindergarten.

Everybody should be healthy.

Don't sleep on the Hawaiians.

I learned "cut and paste" in Kindergarten.

Everybody should be healthy.

Don't sleep on the Hawaiians.

Everyone being able to recover is the best news of all.

The career ending OL losses of an older class is one of the things that put us in this position.

Hope the Hawaiians make it here. That's quite the trip and culture change. I'd still rather see OL spend a year learning and lifting.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Red has a torn achilles.
Petry is skinny.

Thanks a ton for this. So if I'm following correctly...

We had four starters returning, but one of them (D. Davis) was hurt and couldn't play until midway through this season. Tisdale was the replacement, but when Davis got healthy he couldn't crack the starting lineup.
The 5th starter was supposed to be P. Davis, but he got hurt for the year, and that's why Elmore got converted to a G.

Backups were supposed to be Red, Petry, Chandler. Any others? The latter two are healthy, but not good (I don't see Chandler on the 2-deep, is he hurt?).

"Froumy" is hurt, but I don't see him anywhere in your write up. Was he expected to be a key backup?

Bleich didn't get eligibility for this season, and I'm assuming would have started, but was hurt anyway. I imagine it was problematic to count on someone who was both injured and had eligibility concerns.

We're now starting 3 of the guys who started last year (Bergeron, Vetorello, Servais), 1 guy who beat out a guy who started last year (Tisdale), and 1 converted guy (Elmore).

Definitely sounds like a mess, although I sure wish we had a couple more guys that were at least playable who are R-So or R-Ju. I don't understand our recruiting whiffs on the OL for much of Dino's tenure.

I don't understand our recruiting whiffs on the OL for much of Dino's tenure.

IMO he did not bring in enough bodies in his first few classes. The underclassmen that Shafer left were not very good on the OL. That should have made Babers address it but instead he tried some quick fixes which addressed the short term and not the long term. We passed then and are now in now. So we are seeing these issues now because he didn't address it then.

Thanks a ton for this. So if I'm following correctly...

We had four starters returning, but one of them (D. Davis) was hurt and couldn't play until midway through this season. Tisdale was the replacement, but when Davis got healthy he couldn't crack the starting lineup.
The 5th starter was supposed to be P. Davis, but he got hurt for the year, and that's why Elmore got converted to a G.

Backups were supposed to be Red, Petry, Chandler. Any others? The latter two are healthy, but not good (I don't see Chandler on the 2-deep, is he hurt?).

"Froumy" is hurt, but I don't see him anywhere in your write up. Was he expected to be a key backup?

Bleich didn't get eligibility for this season, and I'm assuming would have started, but was hurt anyway. I imagine it was problematic to count on someone who was both injured and had eligibility concerns.

We're now starting 3 of the guys who started last year (Bergeron, Vetorello, Servais), 1 guy who beat out a guy who started last year (Tisdale), and 1 converted guy (Elmore).

Definitely sounds like a mess, although I sure wish we had a couple more guys that were at least playable who are R-So or R-Ju. I don't understand our recruiting whiffs on the OL for much of Dino's tenure.

Chandler was a walk-on from California who left the team.

Pat Davis started the first game vs UNC before getting hurt.

Dakota Davis was finally healthy enough to start against Louisville.

Froumy was listed as the back-up RG on the Spring depth chart.

IMO he did not bring in enough bodies in his first few classes. The underclassmen that Shafer left were not very good on the OL. That should have made Babers address it but instead he tried some quick fixes which addressed the short term and not the long term. We passed then and are now in now. So we are seeing these issues now because he didn't address it then.

He did bring in 4 in that first class (2016). Servais, O'Sullivan, Clark, Heckel. Servais was the lowest rated recruit.

Lost the other 3 to career ending injuries, 2 concussions and 1 knee. Having all of them as 5th year seniors right now would probably be helpful.

2017 we brought in Dakota and Patrick Davis, but that was not enough.

2018 we brought in Froumy, Horan (not sure if we would have ended at TE or OT, but he was medically DQ'd anyway), Vettorello and the Qadir White enigma. Would have been that other top recruit too, but pretty sure I read here that his recruiting visit was about as bad as it gets.

4 per year seems like the right number. 5 would be tough if you expect to redshirt most and you have an 85 schollie limit.

2016 career enders, 2017 numbers, 2018 Qadir are the biggest things that are killing us. In addition to the regular injuries piling up.

He did bring in 4 in that first class (2016). Servais, O'Sullivan, Clark, Heckel. Servais was the lowest rated recruit.

Lost the other 3 to career ending injuries, 2 concussions and 1 knee. Having all of them as 5th year seniors right now would probably be helpful.

2018 we brought in Froumy, Horan (not sure if we would have ended at TE or OT, but he was medically DQ'd anyway), Vettorello and the Qadir White enigma. Would have been that other top recruit too, but pretty sure I read here that his recruiting visit was about as bad as it gets.

4 per year seems like the right number. 5 would be tough if you expect to redshirt most and you have an 85 schollie limit.

2016 career enders, 2017 numbers, 2018 Qadir are the biggest things that are killing us. In addition to the regular injuries piling up.

I meant his first real class. 2016 he was on the job for a month. He brought in 2 guys his first full class. Forgot about Horan so his 2nd real class was enough. Although given the small class the year before it might have been wise to add another. All the injuries from those 2016 and 2017 classes plus White should have made us go grab transfers to fill the holes.

I meant his first real class. 2016 he was on the job for a month. He brought in 2 guys his first full class. Forgot about Horan so his 2nd real class was enough. Although given the small class the year before it might have been wise to add another. All the injuries from those 2016 and 2017 classes plus White should have made us go grab transfers to fill the holes.

Agree. Can't cry over bad luck, need to overcome it.

Hard to count on OL prospects signed after 2018 but...

Bergeron = Potential
Tisdale = OK
Red = Injured but has potential
Alexander = Grad Transfer who didn't work out so well.

Barclay - Undersized and developmental prospect
Petry - Undersized and foreign developmental prospect
Bleich - Transfer who started at G for Florida as a Freshman
Josh Llao

2021 (Some good prospects all be it undersized currently except Ellis. But they still have some time to grow)
Cruz
Ellis
Kauhi
Hoeh
Magnuson

2020 was a small class but we really should have brought in another with what we new about who we lost and who is panning out. I mean We new 2019 was basically a 3 man class with the grad gone. We new 2018 was a 3 man class and among them seemed to know Qadir wasn't going to do much.

Edit: Added Llao to 2020 class. So size wise I guess 2020 wasn't so bad. Main problem is older guys who should be in the program were DQ'd, didn't pan out or are currently injured.

Last edited:
Could me some adjustments.
Ulloa center
Bergeron lt
Davis lg
Tinsdale rg
Veterello RT

with servaise injured vet may be the better option at this point

Or some more freshman talent that has size and can compete earlier. Just seems much harder for us to recruit that.

Clark and OSullivan were two pretty highly regarded players. Maybe as highly recruited as Vetterelo but behind White. The kid from PA I believe was a Big33 game participant and the MD kid played in the NJ/MD though don’t quote me. Both had solid offers and were all-state.

Bergeron = Potential
Tisdale = OK

2021 (Some good prospects all be it undersized currently except Ellis. But they still have some time to grow)
Cruz
Ellis
Kauhi
Hoeh
Magnuson

2020 was a small class but we really should have brought in another with what we new about who we lost and who is panning out. I mean We new 2019 was basically a 3 man class with the grad gone. We new 2018 was a 3 man class and among them seemed to know Qadir wasn't going to do much.
Not to nitpick but since Bergeron has pretty much been a two year starter, I'd say he's more production than potential.

The past and the future:

Guys in red show what you are talking about, the missing depth. 9 of 17 potential guys unavailable this year. The games played is obviously through game seven.

1606159204247.png

Losing Heckel and Clark last year and then DDavis this year are the biggest factors on why the OL is shot. Guard to guard they just aren't there, and Clark was going to be a factor at OT. Been in catch up mode for two years.

I think the makings of a good OL will be on the roster next year, at least as good as 18.

If Servais were not injured I think he'd be decent at LT. Hope he comes back for 2021. Speaking of 2021: Servais has been here a long time already but hopefully he comes back because he doesn't want to end his career this way and I would think he plays LT. I think Bergeron is a better RT and would do OK there next year. Would think Red may be able to be in the mix to push those guys as well. I hope Llao will be a better Center next year than what Vet is giving us now. That has been disappointing. Bleich along with G should be good and much better than this year as well. But nothing seems to go as planned so...

What is the Servais injury you are referring to?

Also any new on Morgan's injury?

Chandler was a walk-on from California who left the team.

Pat Davis started the first game vs UNC before getting hurt.

Dakota Davis was finally healthy enough to start against Louisville.

Froumy was listed as the back-up RG on the Spring depth chart.

Pat Davis didn't start against UNC, he's been hurt all year. Pg. 7 of the PDF from the below for the participation report that day:

In my opinion, OL struggles come down to coaching. The talent is there to be better than this on the O-line, even with injuries. People like to talk about the issues being the injuries now, which means G's, but 2 of the 3 returnees have been the biggest offenders (Servais and Vetterello) regardless of injury (everyone is banged up by with 2 games left).

When your returning starters are your biggest problem area, it is coaching. Add in the mis-evaluation of Alexander and not pulling the plug on that sooner, there are problems on the staff evaluating the line. Add in Elmore has been, by most accounts, the best OL on the team this year and that brings in serious concern to the type of prospects being recruited (and why I think they took so many this year with Gilbert in house).

My biggest problem is I can't identify a trait of a recruit that Syracuse has success in developing on the OL (and will add WR and DL to that). Best I can go with is a tackle with above average feet and athleticism, as that would be Bergeron, hopefully Cruz continues that trend. The progression of the road-grading interior lineman Syracuse has targeted hasn't quite been there, capped off by moving a RT to center.

OL went downhill the day that 3 players got moved around, think that ruined the development of both Servais and Vetterello.

when you have no bodies you also cant practice the way you need to.

Bergeron = Potential
Tisdale = OK

Josh Llao

Cruz
Ellis
Kauhi
Hoeh
Magnuson

Edit: Added Llao to 2020 class. So size wise I guess 2020 wasn't so bad. Main problem is older guys who should be in the program were DQ'd, didn't pan out or are currently injured.

Once we lost those guys at the beginning of last year, we should have take a couple of Jucos or Grad Xfers to replace them. It has added to our issues this year.

Could me some adjustments.
Ulloa center
Bergeron lt
Davis lg
Tinsdale rg
Veterello RT

with servaise injured vet may be the better option at this point
This is how I think things will end up for next season:

LT Bergeron
This is a lock unless he gets hurt
LG Bleich
Close to a lock if he is healthy
C Froumy
Vet gets physically dominated every game. He also struggles to make shotgun snaps. Froumy has the size and strength you need for a center. I believe he would have started this year had he been healthy.
RG D Davis
Close to a lock if he is healthy
RT
Lots of candidates here, ranging from promising true frosh to various promising internal candidates to possible transfers. The best thing for the team would be if Servais decides to come back and show what he can do with 2 healthy legs next season. I am hoping Vet switches back here. I think the pressure of snapping has hurt his blocking a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom