Someone explain the OL to me | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Someone explain the OL to me

Center is the single biggest issue if the guys that are out come back healthy. I think Center is open, but at least there are three guys that can fight for the job.

Agree with LT, LG, and RG. Hope Servais comes back. Great opportunity for a transfer.

This is how I think things will end up for next season:

LT Bergeron
This is a lock unless he gets hurt
LG Bleich
Close to a lock if he is healthy
C Froumy
Vet gets physically dominated every game. He also struggles to make shotgun snaps. Froumy has the size and strength you need for a center. I believe he would have started this year had he been healthy.
RG D Davis
RT
Lots of candidates here, ranging from promising true frosh to various promising internal candidates to possible transfers. The best thing for the team would be if Servais decides to come back and show what he can do with 2 healthy legs next season. I am hoping Vet switches back here. I think the pressure of snapping has hurt his blocking a lot.
I hope you're right about Froumy. There is a lot of blame to go around, but to my eye, the play at C has been especially bad. Nothing is more disruptive than instantaneous DL penetration over the center. The glaring inability to slide protections to overloads, or understand coverages on stunts or run blitzes seems more systemic. Servais coming back, and fully healthy, would be huge. I think we need a couple of transfers/jucos ( 1G, 1 T/C).

I'll admit, I haven't spent nearly as much time following the program this season as I usually do. I barely knew when they were back practicing this summer, and have missed seeing several games this year. So I'll cop to being ignorant about a number of topics, and one of them is the offensive line.

Last season, we made some adjustments once that transfer kid bailed out, and the OL seemed functional the last few games of the year. This year I've read that we've lost six OLmen to injuries. However, when I look at the starting lineup, I see three guys who were starters last year.

I'm sincerely asking, can someone give me a timeline of the OL since the spring? Who got hurt, when, and how badly? Did we lose starters, depth, both? It seems that a lot of the rationale for why the O is so historically awful (again) is because of the OL, but I can't track why it's so bad.

Thanks in advance, hugs & kisses,
Scooch
To answer in one sentence: Loads of injuries, which forced a fullback to start all season at left guard and he's graded out as our best lineman in 2020, which if true (and my eyes tell me differently) is an indictment on our program's player development.

I know it’s not recruiting forum but I would really like to get gabe blare out of Texas. True center 6’3 302 right now. Really need a true center. I’m not sure we have recruited one in DB ten year.

I have been hopeful about the OL recruiting because it finally seems to have become Dino's "focus group" this year. The history of his recruiting seems to me to target one position group each year.

First it was the secondary, then d-line, then LBs and now OL. I'm talking sheer numbers of recruits per class to bolster the roster for depth at that position group and upgrading / re-profiling the type of player wanted at each position. Once this is done it seems the recruiting for that group stays "improved" and he and the staff are able to be more selective in following years.

With 5 incoming OL (and not just NY, PA, NJ big fat kids) I think it shows this pain point has now been addressed. However, it will still take 2 - 3 seasons for these guys to impact the game day rotation. Will Dino still be here to see it?

I think people are too down on Veterello.

It's really important he takes some steps forward, but it seems odd to me that some folks are expecting guys that haven't played nearly as much, if at all, to jump him.

Not saying it can't happen, but I would think his game experience would be worth more than that.

LT Bergeron
LG Bleich
C Froumy
Vet gets physically dominated every game. He also struggles to make shotgun snaps. Froumy has the size and strength you need for a center. I believe he would have started this year had he been healthy.
RG D Davis
RT
Lots of candidates here, ranging from promising true frosh to various promising internal candidates to possible transfers. The best thing for the team would be if Servais decides to come back and show what he can do with 2 healthy legs next season. I am hoping Vet switches back here. I think the pressure of snapping has hurt his blocking a lot.

I don't think I want to see Vet move back to tackle, he really struggled there. I think guard is his best fit. Not having the worry of snapping, I think he could be a solid backup guard to Bleich/Dakota.

Servais may very well be taking his rubix cube to his next station in life. I hope we can find a good transfer tackle. One that's good enough to take the LT spot and move Bergeron back to RT. And let Cruz learn and lift for a year.

I don't think I want to see Vet move back to tackle, he really struggled there. I think guard is his best fit. Not having the worry of snapping, I think he could be a solid backup guard to Bleich/Dakota.

Servais may very well be taking his rubix cube to his next station in life. I hope we can find a good transfer tackle. One that's good enough to take the LT spot and move Bergeron back to RT. And let Cruz learn and lift for a year.

I wonder if Red would be a candidate for RT? He was on the 2 deep at Tackle in Spring Ball and I think last year too.

It's time ... Re: Servais.
He's had a nice career here.

I think people are too down on Veterello.

It's really important he takes some steps forward, but it seems odd to me that some folks are expecting guys that haven't played nearly as much, if at all, to jump him.

Not saying it can't happen, but I would think his game experience would be worth more than that.

Vet needs to get a bit thicker through his base. He's gotten bigger YOY so with another off-season of training under his belt he might get there.

One of the things lost in the injuries discussion is lack of strength developmental time. Since most our oline recruits aren't monsters from day 1 that seriously hinders progress potentially as much as missed reps.

I'm looking forward to Bleich not only as a player but to show the rest what a nasty SEC caliber lineman plays like.
We seem to have a bunch of gentle giants currently, need the mentality of trying to beat your man each play Vs just try and survive. We also need that in the WR room with a "gimme the damn ball" receiver. Plus side is we seem to have that on defense even with all the frosh. Offensive room seems to Charmin soft sans Tommy, and our current two rb's. Queeley might have it as well but too many nice guys it seems.

Sorry fellas it needs to be a total revamp of the line. Including the coach. We need the stink of last two season to go away. I would like to see two or three new starters a long with a O line coach with a different voice and approach. There is something that is seriously wrong with the line. Its been two years in a row of piss poor line play.

Vet needs to get a bit thicker through his base. He's gotten bigger YOY so with another off-season of training under his belt he might get there.

One of the things lost in the injuries discussion is lack of strength developmental time. Since most our oline recruits aren't monsters from day 1 that seriously hinders progress potentially as much as missed reps.

I'm looking forward to Bleich not only as a player but to show the rest what a nasty SEC caliber lineman plays like.
We seem to have a bunch of gentle giants currently, need the mentality of trying to beat your man each play Vs just try and survive. We also need that in the WR room with a "gimme the damn ball" receiver. Plus side is we seem to have that on defense even with all the frosh. Offensive room seems to Charmin soft sans Tommy, and our current two rb's. Queeley might have it as well but too many nice guys it seems.
We have a just give me the dam ball WR, he just doesnt play like one lol

Sorry fellas it needs to be a total revamp of the line. Including the coach. We need the stink of last two season to go away. I would like to see two or three new starters a long with a O line coach with a different voice and approach. There is something that is seriously wrong with the line. Its been two years in a row of piss poor line play.
I wonder if Cav will be back? Not sure how they (DB and Gilbert) can watch the game film week after week and not see what you see. This might be move #1

What is the Servais injury you are referring to?

Also any new on Morgan's injury?
There haven't been any announcements about Servais, but has been limping for a few weeks now.

Did you just write all of this up on memory?

What do you think is realistic for next year. Are there any of the injuries that anyone is aware could be career threatening?

I'm going on the assumption that there's only one true freshman, Cruz, with a potential to see the field. The other 4 probably need a redshirt.
That kid is like 260lbs, no? Let go of the star ratings for a second.

LT Bergeron
LG Bleich
C Froumy
RG D Davis
RT
Can't see any of the True Freshman Tackles starting-they're each 250-260 pounds

I think there was a season end write up on Magnuson last week that said he is 275 now. And the one Hawaiian kid is like 350.

I hope you're right about Froumy. There is a lot of blame to go around, but to my eye, the play at C has been especially bad. Nothing is more disruptive than instantaneous DL penetration over the center. The glaring inability to slide protections to overloads, or understand coverages on stunts or run blitzes seems more systemic. Servais coming back, and fully healthy, would be huge. I think we need a couple of transfers/jucos ( 1G, 1 T/C).
Servais is crazy banged up. he's playing through 3 things. He coaches the rest of them. Because he can. If he comes back? He'll ball.

While Froumy can barely walk(recovery), he dropped 225 for 39 reps a few weeks back. He strong. (designated Center, spring, graded same as Berg 2019 camp) Bleich was the strongest in the 2018 Oline recruitment class, nationally. He's second now, so that'll be interesting.

Cav is going to coach guys he brought in. Period. The rest are forgotten. Kinda messed up.

Recruiting.

I'll admit, I haven't spent nearly as much time following the program this season as I usually do. I barely knew when they were back practicing this summer, and have missed seeing several games this year. So I'll cop to being ignorant about a number of topics, and one of them is the offensive line.

Last season, we made some adjustments once that transfer kid bailed out, and the OL seemed functional the last few games of the year. This year I've read that we've lost six OLmen to injuries. However, when I look at the starting lineup, I see three guys who were starters last year.

I'm sincerely asking, can someone give me a timeline of the OL since the spring? Who got hurt, when, and how badly? Did we lose starters, depth, both? It seems that a lot of the rationale for why the O is so historically awful (again) is because of the OL, but I can't track why it's so bad.

Thanks in advance, hugs & kisses,
Scooch

Servais is crazy banged up. he's playing through 3 things. He coaches the rest of them. Because he can. If he comes back? He'll ball.

While Froumy can barely walk(recovery), he dropped 225 for 39 reps a few weeks back. He strong. (designated Center, spring, graded same as Berg 2019 camp) Bleich was the strongest in the 2018 Oline recruitment class, nationally. He's second now, so that'll be interesting.

Cav is going to coach guys he brought in. Period. The rest are forgotten. Kinda messed up.
Babers needs to pay Cav as an advisor. Let him focus on his wife and family and have an opportunity to move on just like Dino did with the Father in law.

That kid is like 260lbs, no? Let go of the star ratings for a second.
Kalan Ellis has a solid chance to play. 6'5 350.

Babers needs to pay Cav as an advisor. Let him focus on his wife and family and have an opportunity to move on just like Dino did with the Father in law.

We get it, you don't want CAV coaching the O Line anymore, you have only posted it 1000 times in the past week or so. Good lord

We get it, you don't want CAV coaching the O Line anymore, you have only posted it 1000 times in the past week or so. Good lord

The horse died over a year ago. Poor thing just can't get a break, even in the afterlife.

We have a just give me the dam ball WR, he just doesnt play like one lol

Was thinking of him when I wrote that. The give the defender the damn ball WR and flip off the camera wr, correct?

Mentally soft then petulant after the fact. Go win 50:50 balls or even 80:20 balls my man. Concentration lapses all over.

Also, like our oline, go plant someone on a block... Anyone from our WR room or oline... Show the other team and all of us you watching you you are a BAMF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom