hoopsupstate

Living Legend
In the past couple of games Boeheim has said this team isn’t a good:
1. shooting team
2. Not a good rebounding team
3. Not a good pressing team
4. Doesn’t run well on the break
5. We don’t get many assists

Who in the world is responsible for this mess? Didn’t he recruit these players? Why are we paying someone over $2 millions dollars a year to put together such a mess of a team. We have no depth, but have three open scholarships. He’s getting too many free passes from the press and fans. He wants to hold his players responsible for all of their mistakes. How about he steps up and takes a look at the mess he is currently putting on the floor. He’s a good coach and has a wonderful career, but Denny Crum is an example of holding on to someone too long before the program crashed and burned. This is not a one year wonder. This has gone on for the past three years.

Shhhh. Didn’t you know you’re not supposed to question Boeheim around here? The man’s a HOFer. The man has forgotten more basketball than you know. The man has...

Oh hell. I’m fully on board with you. I was ready for JB to hang it up five years ago.

But I don’t say that around here anymore for fear of the pitchforks.

1. shooting team

Who in the world is responsible for this mess? Didn’t he recruit these players? Why are we paying someone over $2 millions dollars a year to put together such a mess of a team. We have no depth, but have three open scholarships. He’s getting too many free passes from the press and fans. He wants to hold his players responsible for all of their mistakes. How about he steps up and takes a look at the mess he is currently putting on the floor. He’s a good coach and has a wonderful career, but Denny Crum is an example of holding on to someone too long before the program crashed and burned. This is not a one year wonder. This has gone on for the past three years.

3 open scholarships?

1. Battle
2. Howard
3. Chukwu
4. Brissett
5. Moyer
6. Dolezaj
7. Washington
8. Sidibe
9. Hughes

10. Thorpe (left team in December)
11. Thompson (left team before season started).

Knowing that Hughes was a transfer, we started out with 10 players.

Then we had 9.

Then we had 8.

Washington should be the 4th guard in a 3 guard rotation, so we're at 7.

Sid isn't 100%, so we're at 6.5.

It is what it is.

Stop trying to stir the pot. That happens enough around here already.

Alright, alright. This thread could be great though.

With the scholarship losses, taking on two traditional transfers, effectively killing two spots for contributing players is a bit of a head scratcher. Add in Dajuan Coleman being less than a fully effective player for those sanction seasons hurt as well (I'm not saying that they should have had him transfer to open up a scholarship, just pointing out that his situation didn't help the overall short roster). ETA: losing Diagne was a huge misstep. I don't know the ins and outs of that situation, but with a short roster they can't take on risks like that if they're not 100% certain he'd qualify. The scholarship situation was definitely hurt by sanctions, but they shot themselves in the foot a lot.

For OP, JAB has a call-in show once a week. You can ask him, I'm not sure you'll get an answer that you'd like though.

Among other things, I'd like to know:

Why can't our guards use a ball screen? Why don't they pass to the screener when he rolls to the hoop?

More broadly: they can't shoot, they can't pass, OK. So what offense would best suit this group of talented Division I players?

Shhhh. Didn’t you know you’re not supposed to question Boeheim around here? The man’s a HOFer. The man has forgotten more basketball than you know. The man has...

Oh hell. I’m fully on board with you. I was ready for JB to hang it up five years ago.

But I don’t say that around here anymore for fear of the pitchforks.

There's plenty of people that question aspects of his coaching. But as with any debate, particularly these days, those on each extreme (JB sucks, JB can never be questioned) tend to drown the rest out.

1. shooting team

I think too many on this site view these press conferences and his radio shows as a grand jury deposition, as if he takes an oath before the questions begin and the consequence of perjury is on the table. Like the rest of us, JAB is subject to emotion, recency bias, and hyperbole. I just don't "get" those here who believe that they have "caught" JAB in a lie/statement that does not mesh with what he said last week or after the UConn game, etc. This a college basketball program, not a government agency.

In the past the team could score in transition. Not this year. Basically when SU has to score from halfcourt offense it's abysmal. One-on-one action everytime.

1. shooting team

What a busybody tone this post has. Good grief.

With the scholarship losses, taking on two traditional transfers, effectively killing two spots for contributing players is a bit of a head scratcher. Add in Dajuan Coleman being less than a fully effective player for those sanction seasons hurt as well (I'm not saying that they should have had him transfer to open up a scholarship, just pointing out that his situation didn't help the overall short roster). ETA: losing Diagne was a huge misstep. I don't know the ins and outs of that situation, but with a short roster they can't take on risks like that if they're not 100% certain he'd qualify. The scholarship situation was definitely hurt by sanctions, but they shot themselves in the foot a lot.

For OP, JAB has a call-in show once a week. You can ask him, I'm not sure you'll get an answer that you'd like though.

But he will know at that moment what it's like to be a reporter covering the SU basketball program.

3 open scholarships?

1. Battle
2. Howard
3. Chukwu
4. Brissett
5. Moyer
6. Dolezaj
7. Washington
8. Sidibe
9. Hughes

10. Thorpe (left team in December)
11. Thompson (left team before season started).

Knowing that Hughes was a transfer, we started out with 10 players.

Then we had 9.

Then we had 8.

Washington should be the 4th guard in a 3 guard rotation, so we're at 7.

Sid isn't 100%, so we're at 6.5.

It is what it is.
This post should be framed with GREAT BIG BOLD TITLE saying please refer to our 2017-2018 team roster when constantly criticizing the coaches for not making changes. This is it. Six of the eight are 1st year players, considering Chuckwu's first playing opportunity. We are young, learning and going to make mistakes.

This post should be framed with GREAT BIG BOLD TITLE saying please refer to our 2017-2018 team roster when constantly criticizing the coaches for not making changes. This is it. Six of the eight are 1st year players, considering Chuckwu's first playing opportunity. We are young, learning and going to make mistakes.
You realize nobody is really upset about this year’s team.
It’s the program overall.
Our offense has been disgusting since 2012.
If we had a bad offense we could have cut down the nets in 2013.
We had a lot of talent on that team and we still couldn’t execute well in the halfcourt. ISO ball has to change but the HC wants to win the way he does.

Among other things, I'd like to know:

Why can't our guards use a ball screen? Why don't they pass to the screener when he rolls to the hoop?

More broadly: they can't shoot, they can't pass, OK. So what offense would best suit this group of talented Division I players?

Because the screener won't catch the pass?

That's the worst joke ever...

Isn't managing the roster supposed to be one of the primary responsibilities for the coaching staff? How did they allow this to get here?

TT was someone who clearly wasn't designed for SU - hated defense, working within the structure of a set offense, and being away from mom. Why did we waste a scholarship and recruiting time to get that knucklehead?

And this isn't Chukwu's first playing opportunity. Its his second year with us where he could play. Yes, he lost last year, but he was available to play his frosh year at PC.

We don’t have 3 open scholarships. We went into the season using all 11 scholarships (docked 2 because of sanctions). But TT bailed right before the season started, Geno bailed in early December, and Elijah Hughes is a transfer and must redshirt. The Geno situation is unfortunate. I think we could have really used him to provide a spark off the bench and possible shooting help. It sucks he wouldn’t stick it out.
1. shooting team

We don’t have 3 open scholarships. We went into the season using all 11 scholarships (docked 2 because of sanctions). But TT bailed right before the season started, Geno bailed in early December, and Elijah Hughes is a transfer and must redshirt. The Geno situation is unfortunate. I think we could have really used him to provide a spark off the bench and possible shooting help. It sucks he wouldn’t stick it out.

Did we give TT's scholly to anyone, or is that even a possibility?

How is the Diagne situation the staff’s fault? There were no red flags for them to anticipate with his academics and the NCAA. It took them by complete surprise.

Did we give TT's scholly to anyone, or is that even a possibility?
He bailed right before school started! Sure, there were red flags over the summer he might not return, but who are you gonna get at that point??

How is the Diagne situation the staff’s fault? There were no red flags for them to anticipate with his academics and the NCAA. It took them by complete surprise.
That is 3 years ago now.
You can’t claim Diagne has anything to do with the team now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom