Someone needs to ask Boeheim? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Someone needs to ask Boeheim?

The amount of hubris in this post towards your position is off the charts.
My god the HC is responsible for roster construction.
We all know we are down 2 scholarships but the fact you will go as far you do in the post above to avoid placing any blame on Jim Boeheim for our current predicament is pathetic.
Yes it is pathetic. Do yourself a favor and realize JB is a person and no person is above criticism.
I prefer to focus on the shortcomings of his critics on here. As you say, no one is above criticism.

I find the amount of unjustified confidence in their positions to be “off the charts” .

Usually they are either obviously frustrated or dying to share their brilliance. Whining and bloviating are not attractive. Searching around for someone to blame when one is frustrated is weak and immature.

Why is it necessary for you to assign blame to someone? Are you owed an answer?

Your "ultimately responsible" approach does avoid all that pesky and difficult thinking it through.

I never said I was owed something, there was a question to start this thread and I answered it.

I prefer to focus on the shortcomings of his critics on here. As you say, no one is above criticism.

I find the amount of unjustified confidence in their positions to be “off the charts” .

Usually they are either obviously frustrated or dying to share their brilliance. Whining and bloviating are not attractive. Searching around for someone to blame when one is frustrated is weak and immature.
So you come to the Syracuse basketball forum to "focus on the shortcomings" of JB's critics on here? As alsacs said, that's pathetic.

It’s not the highest paid university employee’s fault the teams been mediocre since 2014. It’s your fault for expecting more.

What I’m trying to say is that all of you are bad fans for wanting better than .500 ball. Go root for Colgate.

As I have said a lot over the years, you are by far the strangest poster on this board (minus some who do not post anymore). Your consistency though is admirable.

So you come to the Syracuse basketball forum to "focus on the shortcomings" of JB's critics on here? As alsacs said, that's pathetic.

So say you.

I'd say searches for whom to blame are pathetic. I'd say almost uncontrolled anger and bitterness after losses are pathetic. I'd say I'd say second-guessing and Monday Morning quarterbacking are pathetic.

But that's just me.

Another surprising thing on here is just how much the constant critics and self-styled experts don't like push-back. They want the unfettered ability to say what they want, but they sure don't like anybody disagreeing. They resort to name-calling (i.e. "pathetic" or "strange").

So say you.

I'd say searches for whom to blame are pathetic. I'd say almost uncontrolled anger and bitterness after losses are pathetic. I'd say I'd say second-guessing and Monday Morning quarterbacking are pathetic.

But that's just me.

Another surprising thing on here is just how much the constant critics and self-styled experts don't like push-back. They want the unfettered ability to say what they want, but they sure don't like anybody disagreeing. They resort to name-calling (e.g. "pathetic")

Well if it makes you feel better, I’m not sure he’s calling you “pathetic.” Just your constant need to call out fans who (weirdly) don’t like watching .500 ball year in and year out.

So technically that’s not name calling.

It’s not the highest paid university employee’s fault the teams been mediocre since 2014. It’s your fault for expecting more.

What I’m trying to say is that all of you are bad fans for wanting better than .500 ball. Go root for Colgate.

So you'd be satisfied with .600 ball?

And please, stop with the "highest paid employee" modifier to bolster your case and make JB less-sympathetic. Sounds very much like what I read in the Politics section of the newspaper.

So you'd be satisfied with .600 ball?

And please, stop with the "highest paid employee" modifier to bolster your case and make JB less-sympathetic. Sounds very much like what I read in the Politics section of the newspaper.

I’m a humble man. Let’s just work on that 500 number first.

But yeah sorry. I’ll try in the future to show more sympathy toward the guy who’s a millionaire a couple times over for coaching basketball. Clearly silly things like team performance and improvement over time shouldn’t concern him and we plebes should just be happy to enjoy this mediocrity into perpetuity.

As I have said a lot over the years, you are by far the strangest poster on this board (minus some who do not post anymore). Your consistency though is admirable.

Consistency?

My consistency?

Let me know when there's an original thought emanating from the constant critics. It's the same stuff over and over again ... until there are a couple of wins in a row. Then they disappear for a bit only to come back on line with pretty much the same stuff.

Think about this. You just said you have called me "strange" OVER THE YEARS and then you complain about my "consistency".

I’m a humble man. Let’s just work on that 500 number first.

But yeah sorry. I’ll try in the future to show more sympathy toward the guy who’s a millionaire a couple times over for coaching basketball. Clearly silly things like team performance and improvement over time shouldn’t concern him and we plebes should just be happy to enjoy this mediocrity into perpetuity.[/QUO

JB makes that money because of performance. That's the way the free market for labor services works. He probably could have made more by jumping to other opportunities along the way. He didn't and a huge factor in that decision was loyalty to the University.

But frustrated fans are of the "What have you done for me lately?" ilk

I prefer to focus on the shortcomings of his critics on here. ...

That's laugh-out-loud funny (truly, Townie, you put a big grin on my face this morning).

You do realize you know less about 100% of the anonymous posters on here than 100% of the posters (even the most ignorant) know about the public figure that is Jim Boeheim, right?

So if we're off-base in assessing his "shortcomings," you must be really out of your depth in trying to suss out those of everyone else.

You realize nobody is really upset about this year’s team.
It’s the program overall.
Our offense has been disgusting since 2012.
If we had a bad offense we could have cut down the nets in 2013.
We had a lot of talent on that team and we still couldn’t execute well in the halfcourt. ISO ball has to change but the HC wants to win the way he does.
Yeah This A lot, This.

People say JB offensive philosophy, but I'm not sure its even that. JB has said it before that he largely lets his best players play and create offense. This is fine and well when you have a roster full of the right kind of talent as we had in the entirety of the program. We don't have that now, we aren't in the last 4-5 years and we aren't at all times in the golden area. Those were the mediocre teams such as 01-02 meshaun and shumpert etc.

The bottom line is that this is a very simple offensive though process for this program. Players come in and just make great plays. For people that defend JB saying he does not simply "roll the ball out there" , I think you're wrong. He does exactly that. Of course there are a few plays, out of bounds and the such. but largely nothing else. Pick and roll? ok you learn that in elementary school on... there are many variations on it, but its a pretty hammered in concept to any basketball player. and why dont we use it this year? Who the hell is the guard gonna throw it to after the pick? Exactly. this team is thin, flawed and undisciplined. Buckle up and hope for the best. Offensively Im going to be excited to see JB move on... and I have been for a while.

That's laugh-out-loud funny (truly, Townie, you put a big grin on my face this morning).

You do realize you know less about 100% of the anonymous posters on here than 100% of the posters (even the most ignorant) know about the public figure that is Jim Boeheim, right?

So if we're off-base in assessing his "shortcomings," you must be really out of your depth in trying to suss out those of everyone else.

The only thing I know about the posters on here is based on what they write. In this artificial world, that's all there is.

JB is a public figure and has been for many years and has written books about his career and about his strategies (which some of the "fans" have actually read).

The only thing I know about the posters on here is based on what they write. In this artificial world, that's all there is.

JB is a public figure and has been for many years and has written books about his career and about his strategies (which some of the "fans" have actually read).
JB is appreciatied by the fanbase.
I would defend his record if fans from other fanbases throw stones at his record.
I will criticize him for the fact he has done nothing to change what hasn’t worked. His philosophy for offense is terrible. The fact you defend him from legitimate criticism comes off like you are Baghdad Bob and there aren’t any legitimate problems for people to be frustrated about.

If you intend on giving JB the credit for the FFs, then you must also point the finger at him in regards to the negatives. We don't have a single pure outside shooter because JB can't or won't recruit those guys. And the probation also is the result of JB, regardless of how you feel about it's merit. He's the CEO, he's where the buck stops.

Edit - we had a close to a pure shooter we likely get in BJ Johnson, and we ran him off because 1) JB didn't take control of the situation and redshirt him his frosh year like we all knew he should or 2) we didn't recognize the need for him would be as great as it is this year.
Because I don't know, can a coach "force" a player to take a redshirt year? If a kid and his family don't want to redshirt then what? By all reports that was the situation with BJ. How was he run off?

Because I don't know, can a coach "force" a player to take a redshirt year? If a kid and his family don't want to redshirt then what? By all reports that was the situation with BJ. How was he run off?

He wasn't ready for prime time at his size as a frosh or a soph. I think that was part of the limited scholarships that we needed to be part of the team immediately, so he was shown the door. At least that's the way I recall it.

I agree that it must be very difficult, and I think he and his family were reluctant, but JB, as a HOF coach with this many years of experience, HAS to be able to pitch and close that sale.

before i hit the send button i always ask myself is this post about the syracuse program or the posters.
cuz frankly i don't care what most of you think. i talk syracuse. and you're free to have your own takes.
i'm not here to ridicule, criticize or change your opinions.in fact i enjoy hearing different viewpoints.

Last edited:
Thats crap... Kentucky is loaded with freshman every year. They always make the tournament
What makes u think SU = Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, even Michingan ? To me that says "entitlement".

Pssssss; SU is not.

He wasn't ready for prime time at his size as a frosh or a soph. I think that was part of the limited scholarships that we needed to be part of the team immediately, so he was shown the door. At least that's the way I recall it.

I agree that it must be very difficult, and I think he and his family were reluctant, but JB, as a HOF coach with this many years of experience, HAS to be able to pitch and close that sale.
You even say he wasn't ready. His father admits his sitting a year after transferring was the best thing for him. So how is telling him the truth and letting the kid determine his future the couches fauly. The coach HAS to fine away? Just like the coach HAS to be able bring in top 25 talent every year. Not hardly

You even say he wasn't ready. His father admits his sitting a year after transferring was the best thing for him. So how is telling him the truth and letting the kid determine his future the couches fauly. The coach HAS to fine away? Just like the coach HAS to be able bring in top 25 talent every year. Not hardly

Yes, it's the coaches responsibility to bring in and best use the talent. JB has done a poor job of that in recent years, being forced to rely on grad transfers to shore up the ranks when kids leave. Maybe next year will be better, but I'm part of the wait and see group.

JB needed to force the hand of the Johnsons when he was a frosh. He was far younger than the rest of his class (being one of the few who didn't take 5 years to finally arrive at college) and he wasn't ready for it. Which everyone now agrees...

What makes u think SU = Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, even Michingan ? To me that says "entitlement".

Pssssss; SU is not.

We’ve been a far better program than Michigan on the whole in the 64(68) team NCAA Tourney modern era. They went an entire decade without making the NCAA’s.

Pssssss; SU is not.
Are you talking about Michigan or Michigan State?

Michigan basketball program isn’t close to Syracuse.
Syracuse should be in the league of Michigan State, Louisville, Arizona, Florida as bottom 10 programs nationally.

Pssssss; SU is not.
My quote was about playing freshmen or a young team.
That is just a built in excuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom