Sophomore class is killing this program | Syracusefan.com

Sophomore class is killing this program

Syracuse44

Walk On
The complete lack of production, especially on offense from BJ and Buss in particular is really setting this program back. I have yet to see anything positive that BJ has given us in two years now. Buss shows flashes defensively, but cannot hit open jumpers. On a team that is down to a bare minimum of players, we really needed some spark off the bench, and despite the opportunity given to play for BJ and Buss, neither has done anything positive offensively..

Agreed. BJ's is to frail to bang and doesn't have a sufficient handle to be the slasher that we need. Yet another long athletic dude who wants to settle for the three. He's the youngest guy on the team and may have a load of potential, but everything that's been said about him should be taken with a grain of salt.

Funny to hear all the posts about "buy the ticket, take the ride" this team is FUN. There's gonna be a lot more games like today, WF was an anomaly.

I'll be blunt. I like BJ. He seems like a nice kid. His pop is a class act. That being said, I think people have been shy about criticizing him because his dad posts here.

Let's be honest. BJ hasn't brought anything to the table on the court in his two seasons. Maybe he should've been given a shirt last year but he wasn't, unfortunately. The reports that he was working hard this off-season trying to put on weight are laughable. He's bone thin and doesn't come close to being able to compete at this level. He literally needs to put on thirty pounds. His defense is not a positive at all, despite his length. He's shot very poorly in games and can't do anything off the dribble. At this point, he's not bringing anything on either end and he keeps getting the quick hook. He did have a few nice dunks during Orange Madness. That makes for a cool picture but doesn't help us.

I hate being this critical but I have two eyes that work. If he sticks around, maybe he'll be useful in his senior year but I haven't even seen even the flashes of what he has, despite what some people have posted about his potential.

I'm rooting for BJ to prove me wrong but I doubt he gets much of a chance.

Last edited:
I'll be blunt. I like BJ. He seems like a nice kid. His pop is a class act. That being said, I think people have been shy about criticizing him because his dad posts here.

Let's be honest. BJ hasn't brought anything to the table on the court in his two seasons. Maybe he should've been given a shirt last year but he wasn't, unfortunately. The reports that he was working hard this off-season trying to out on weight are laughable. He's bone thin and doesn't come close to being able to compete at this level. He literally needs to put on thirty pounds. His defense is not a positive at all, despite his length. He's shot very poorly in games and can't do anything off the dribble. At this point, he's not bringing anything on either end and he keeps getting the quick hook. He did have a few nice dunks during Orange Madness. That makes for a cool picture but doesn't help us.

I hate being this critical but I have two eyes that work. If he sticks around, maybe he'll be useful in his senior year but I haven't even seen even the flashes of what he has, despite what some people have posted about his potential.

as a fellow ectomorph, I find it laughable that you would suggest that a person around 18-19 should be able to gain 30+ pounds in an offseason simply through hard work. he is a kid, he will develop, and he will get better. there is talent there but he needs time, he wouldn't even be playing if mccollough wasn't hurt.

I didn't mean he could/ should put on thirty in a year but his body needs about that to be competitive. He looks about 6' 7" 165/170. If Richardson shoots well in games, he will get his playing time. Lydon is rail thin too.

I didn't mean he could/ should put on thirty in a year but his body needs about that to be competitive. He looks about 6' 7" 165/170. If Richardson shoots well in games, he will get his playing time. Lydon is rail thin too.
you suggested that he wasn't gaining weight because he wasn't working hard enough. I am calling you out on that, weight gain is not necessarily a direct product of work.

BJ is currently the age most high level HS basketball players are their senior year. He just turned 19. He's within a month of Malachi Richardson's age.

Buss is turning 22 next week.

BJ is going to be good, but he needs time and to add weight. It's coming.

Buss is who has to give us more right now. He's built to handle this competition already. He needs to be ready.

you suggested that he wasn't gaining weight because he wasn't working hard enough. I am calling you out on that, weight gain is not necessarily a direct product of work.

Okay, then if he can't put on weight because of some genetic predisposition or whatever, then he'll alway be thin. Great. He has no chance. We were told he was trying to put on weight. He looks like he didn't and hes not competitive on the court.
So now what? I know he was a hated Hoya but great skinny guys like Reggie Williams are few and far between. Reggie Miller is another I can think of right away. If you're saying he will struggle to put on weight, I say that doesn't bode well for BJ.

Okay, then if he can't put on weight because of some genetic predisposition or whatever, then he'll alway be thin. Great. He has no chance. We were told he was trying to put on weight. He looks like he didn't and hes not competitive on the court.
So now what? I know he was a hated Hoya but great skinny guys like Reggie Williams are few and far between. Reggie Miller is another I can think of right away. If you're saying he will struggle to put on weight, I say that doesn't bode well for BJ.

You're completely off base on the weight. There are not a lot of players being out muscled in college at the 1,2, and 3. You're seeing what you want to. There were ten guys drafted last year that weighed under 190 three or four that were 6'5 or 6'6. Skill and talent make you good, not weight.

You're completely off base on the weight. There are not a lot of players being out muscled in college at the 1,2, and 3. You're seeing what you want to. There were ten guys drafted last year that weighed under 190 three or four that were 6'5 or 6'6. Skill and talent make you good, not weight.

You may very well be right. Maybe it's a case of me grasping for straws to find a reason why BJ has played so poorly. He looks overmatched. Maybe he's not good enough? Maybe he'll get better. I hope so.

I'm an ectomorph. We need to eat a lot to gain weight. He should start immediately if he hasn't.

On the other hand, I have seen flashes from BJ in non-conference games. I like his shooting stroke. He strikes me as a guy who'll put up 20+ PPG his senior year after making a big junior-senior jump like Rak and Nichols. In the meantime he needs to keep eating right and working out.

You may very well be right. Maybe it's a case of me grasping for straws to find a reason why BJ has played so poorly. He looks overmatched. Maybe he's not good enough? Maybe he'll get better. I hope so.
As do I. Perhaps it just hasn't "clicked " for him yet. He is obviously thinking too much and pressing.

The problem is, will it ever click for him for SU? I'm losing faith that it will with each passing game..

THIS. He already is struggling to see the court and now we're bringing in more talent.

I hate to say it, but I don't think any of the 4 sophs are very good at basketball. None of them really look like they belong at a program that considers itself elite. Roberson is more of a bench guy, rotational forward who can come in and grab some boards. His offensive game is terrible and he just can't keep missing short on 80% of his jump shots. Buss is a solid driver and passer, but also can't shoot and really doesn't add the punch needed from a guard. BJ just isn't very good at this point. Chino may never contribute much. It's a really bad class and may never really add much more, or have as big an opportunity as this season.

Our offense is pretty bad this year, and I simply can't imagine how much worse it's going to be without a legit interior scorer next year.

The problem is, will it ever click for him for SU? I'm losing faith that it will with each passing game..
I had been advocate for him getting PT, but he simply has not taken advantage of court time at all. Starting to feel like a lost cause...

Eh. I don't know. I think BJ (who is really young and really slight [shouldve redshirted or took a post grad year]) and Chino were four-year, program players when they were recruited (Chino at best was a four year project). I think Patterson wasnt expected to be more than a defensive filler who could hit the odd three. Roberson is fine. He is coming along. He's the most aggressive rebounder we've had in years. Ennis leaving is what it is.

I'll judge the class in 2017. I'll agree though, they arent offering much at the moment.

It is a shame that basketball has become footballized. It use to be a non-contact sport that relied on movement.

Let's be honest. BJ hasn't brought anything to the table on the court in his two seasons. Maybe he should've been given a shirt last year but he wasn't, unfortunately. The reports that he was working hard this off-season trying to put on weight are laughable. He's bone thin and doesn't come close to being able to compete at this level. He literally needs to put on thirty pounds. His defense is not a positive at all, despite his length. He's shot very poorly in games and can't do anything off the dribble. At this point, he's not bringing anything on either end and he keeps getting the quick hook. He did have a few nice dunks during Orange Madness. That makes for a cool picture but doesn't help us.

This Sophomore class is definitely hurting us right now. There was so much optimism when they arrived on campus, but just like football we talked ourselves into thinking they were a lot better then they really are. We needed 1 of the Sophomores to make the KJ/Dion/MCW/Grant Freshman to Sophomore jump. It just didn't happen.

Eh. I don't know. I think BJ (who is really young and really slight [shouldve redshirted or took a post grad year]) and Chino were four-year, program players when they were recruited (Chino at best was a four year project). I think Patterson wasnt expected to be more than a defensive filler who could hit the odd three. Roberson is fine. He is coming along. He's the most aggressive rebounder we've had in years. Ennis leaving is what it is.

I'll judge the class in 2017. I'll agree though, they arent offering much at the moment.

The idea that a program with the recent level of success as Syracuse is taking "at best 4 year project" players is totally unacceptable to me. This isn't football where you have 60+ people on a roster, and you can afford to take a guy who could be decent if he really matures by his senior year. We need every single recruit to count if we want to win championships. CJ fair was considered a "project" by some when he signed, same with Keita, but both showed flashes of serious potential early in their careers. Obokoh came in against GT I believe (possibly VT) and looked scared. He had an opportunity to take an easy charge, and instead tucked his head and curled up like he was about to get hit by a truck. Obokoh is twice as thick as Keita was his freshman year. Roberson is the only one of the bunch I have any faith can be the caliber player we need to win the ACC and beyond.

The idea that a program with the recent level of success as Syracuse is taking "at best 4 year project" players is totally unacceptable to me. This isn't football where you have 60+ people on a roster, and you can afford to take a guy who could be decent if he really matures by his senior year. We need every single recruit to count if we want to win championships. CJ fair was considered a "project" by some when he signed, same with Keita, but both showed flashes of serious potential early in their careers. Obokoh came in against GT I believe (possibly VT) and looked scared. He had an opportunity to take an easy charge, and instead tucked his head and curled up like he was about to get hit by a truck. Obokoh is twice as thick as Keita was his freshman year. Roberson is the only one of the bunch I have any faith can be the caliber player we need to win the ACC and beyond.

I don't disagree. Syracuse shouldnt have to take soo many project types (if any, in a single class). In fact, i think every class should include, if necessary, a three star 7'0" footer and/or a straight up high school scorer. These type of kids can be very effective at this level. I'm just saying i am not going to judge kids now based upon unreasonable expectations.

FWIW, Obokoh had some good offers. It's worth giving him some time. The difference between him and Keita at this point is simply that a 7'footer is more useful in the center of the zone (Keita was a freakin gazelle).

THIS. He already is struggling to see the court and now we're bringing in more talent.

I guess we'll see. These are kids and they will all develop at different paces. There's a lot of season left and he's going to play a bunch of minutes. That in itself will accelerate his development.

Given the stature of our program as a top 20 team, I think it is a reasonable expectation that by the second year in our program players can start to contribute in positive ways. Occasionally we get a kid who is more developmental and never becomes a reliable contributor (i.e. Mookie J) but that is not the norm. I think, plain and simple, the staff whiffed on a couple of these guys and over estimated their ability to play at this level. Hopefully the next class will prove to be more positive contributors early in their careers.