Sorry, but it is time... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Sorry, but it is time...

You make it sound like he was exposed to kryptonite and we’re just waiting for the effects to wear off.
When Frank returns to being the player we saw in conference and beyond last season (and there's every reason to believe he will) he's a pretty solid point guard and excellent defender. If you don't think that would improve this team immeasurably, I don't know what to tell you.

You make it sound like he was exposed to kryptonite and we’re just waiting for the effects to wear off.
I know that sounded a little strange. What I mean is there is the physical healing of the injury and then there is the emotional/psychological healing. Getting back your swagger, that has to be apparent to his team mates for their perception of him as well. I've seen it happen on other teams and in other sports where a key player is hurt and they comeback but the team still looks meh, and you kind of write them off for the season. Then a little later in the season they go on a tear and you assume that order has been restored. I believe that's what we'll see here with Frankie. He's the boss on this team.

It's hard to remember the last time I've watched our team and thought we were legit... several years ago. And as hard as it is to admit this, the team has been hard to watch the last 5+/- years.

Not me, it's painful to watch. I didn't like watching teams like Princeton when they almost
beat Mourning in 92ish. I disdained watching the 99-00 Wisconsin team go to the final four,
with a team that looked remarkably like SU does now: 42% FG, score 59 pts; give up 39% FG,
allow 55 pts. Fans used to chant while watching teams try to slow down the SU attack ...
"BORRRR-INGGGGGGG. BORRRR-INGGGG." And they are. The best win last year, they
shoot 33%, get outrebounded by 22, score 52 pts, and WIN!?!!? How? I think their style, besides
frustrating fans, also frustrates the other teams. "Hey, we're playing UK, Duke, Gonzaga, up and
down, exciting, scoring. Oh ... we're playing SU and that GD zone. Yippee." It can work, but
it's the opposite of what they did to win a title, scoring 80+ per that year.

If they could find a way to get some offense, and maybe realize that, "you know, getting a team
off-balance on O is a good thing, instead of allowing them time to think on their possession." This
team is weird, in that it probably would benefit a lot more from a more movement based
offense, and certainly some of their shooters (especially the new guys) could use a style that
gets the D out of position, but to get the better O guys playing, you need to totally give up on
the D stopping anyone. That sucks.

Kev

Hate to say it, but...

...tough to argue with this on many fronts. I was of the mindset that if we could win tonight, it would offset the loss to ODU, and that the team would continue to improve as Howard regains his physical capabilities, but after another home loss this team is staring an NIT season in the face. We certainly can still right the ship and avoid that, but the way we're playing makes that increasingly unlikely.

And this is going from an unabashed Boeheim supporter. I believe that my posting track record shows that I'm not a knee jerk reactionary, but at minimum, I want to see things shaken up with the staff. Don't expect that to happen.

You could say that the ODU and Buffalo games were similar games: we led most of the way, got overtaken down the stretch but both basically close games; and since Buffalo is clearly better than ODU, there's some improvement there. obviously more needed but maybe it's the start of a trend.

I know that sounded a little strange. What I mean is there is the physical healing of the injury and then there is the emotional/psychological healing. Getting back your swagger, that has to be apparent to his team mates for their perception of him as well. I've seen it happen on other teams and in other sports where a key player is hurt and they comeback but the team still looks meh, and you kind of write them off for the season. Then a little later in the season they go on a tear and you assume that order has been restored. I believe that's what we'll see here with Frankie. He's the boss on this team.
Wow...I wish I had the same orange color glasses on. I'm in the camp that Frank has always been average and now he is below average. I don't see him getting back to average. He avoids all contact now.

I'm sure someone has made this analogy before, but Syracuse basketball just needs it's version of Dino Babers. Someone with a completely fresh mentality that brings an infusion of new energy.

I just want to speed things up on both sides of the ball and be more aggressive. I'm tired of our boring offense and playing exclusively zone and only recruiting players for the zone and only having assistants who went to SU.

Also, if you're a big man who can't face up to the basket and make a 6-8 foot jumper, I don't want you on our roster. The point of basketball is to put the ball in the basket. I want five guys on the floor who have that capability (I'm weird like that).

I'm sure someone has made this analogy before, but Syracuse basketball just needs it's version of Dino Babers. Someone with a completely fresh mentality that brings an infusion of new energy.

I just want to speed things up on both sides of the ball and be more aggressive. I'm tired of our boring offense and playing exclusively zone and only recruiting players for the zone and only having assistants who went to SU.

Also, if you're a big man who can't face up to the basket and make a 6-8 foot jumper, I don't want you on our roster. The point of basketball is to put the ball in the basket. I want five guys on the floor who have that capability (I'm weird like that).

Great post. Agree across the board.

I'm not tired of that per se. For years it's been a cool point of pride, I think, to have an all-alumni staff.

But if the program is stagnant, no one's interested in offense, and the staff is a bunch of company men who are perpetuating that, then I agree there's a problem.

On that note, is there a problem with the coaching staff since Hopkins left? When Boeheim used to get after an individual player or spend a timeout berating a ref, Hopkins used to huddle up and coach. Lately I've noticed that the three assistants are just sort of standing around, sometimes two of them having a side conversation, when that happens during a timeout. What the team does in a huddle is, I think, a little overrated, but this seems unproductive and a strange break from past practice. What gives?

What if the Orange goes on a winning streak? Are all of you naysayers going to slink into the shadows. I'll lay it on the line right now, this team is going to bounce and finish near the top of the ACC.

What if the Orange goes on a winning streak? Are all of you naysayers going to slink into the shadows. I'll lay it on the line right now, this team is going to bounce and finish near the top of the ACC.

Have you watched the past 11 games?

How much you willing to lay?

Have you watched the past 11 games?
Yes, our point guard captain has been out or playing hurt. People need to stop conflating the last several years problems, which were do to sanctions, with this year, which is do to the guy who runs the offense being injured.

Yes, our point guard captain has been out or playing hurt. People need to stop conflating the last several years problems, which were do to sanctions, with this year, which is do to the guy who runs the offense being injured.
1545406439305.gif

That would be something but it’s just not feasible, IMO. There is a big talent disparity with the top of the ACC teams and SU. The Zone can muck up some games and we have the the potential to get some initial stops but rebounding off of those initial defensive possessions has been terrible. Hughes doesn’t do much at the SF spot and that’s a problem since our Centers are overmatched by anybody. The team doesn’t seem like they want to rebound.

Offensively I just don’t see it. Not enough talent, speed, playmakers, and shooting. I don’t see a lot of high upside/ceiling players returning from last year and the newcomers aren’t giving us much except for Hughes. A healthy Frank doesn’t save this team, I’m sorry. He has his limitations. I think he and Battle more/less maxed out last season. The offense can be a little better than last year but that’s like saying Wendy’s is better than Burger King. Both bad. They just don’t have enough talent and the continued poor fundamentals exasperates the issues. Last year’s final few games masked a lot of problems. There are players playing heavy minutes on this team that would barely see the court on a typical Syracuse Top 25 or other ‘elite program.’ We just don’t have the firepower to put teams away and the scheme/pace is going to keep supposedly inferior teams in it. I’m just trying to be realistic and honest but it’s what I see.

Last edited:

If we could win at Ohio State with Frank in the lineup, why can’t we beat these other teams?

If we could win at Ohio State with Frank in the lineup, why can’t we beat these other teams?

The tough jump shots went in @OSU. They certainly played harder it seemed. It also seems like any decent team they beat comes a Super Bowl hangover for whatever reasons.

AuTrY/GrIffIn/GmAc WeReN’T jUsT SiTTInG oN tHe BeNcH aNd DiD tHeIr JoBs ThAt iS hOw SU wOn dA gAmE.

The tough jump shots went in @OSU. They certainly played harder it seemed. It also seems like any decent team they beat comes a Super Bowl hangover for whatever reasons.
JB said why we won Ohio State game.
Marek scored 8 points in the first half which kept us in that game. Then Ohio State went cold in the second half and Hughes got hot.

We aren’t good offensively and JB said it last night.

That would be something but it’s just not feasible, IMO. There is a big talent disparity with the top of the ACC teams and SU. The Zone can muck up some games and we have the the potential to get some initial stops but rebounding off of those initial defensive possessions has been terrible. Hughes doesn’t do much at the SF spot and that’s a problem since our Centers are overmatched by anybody. The team doesn’t seem like they want to rebound.

Offensively I just don’t see it. Not enough talent, speed, playmakers, and shooting. I don’t see a lot of high upside/ceiling players returning from last year and the newcomers aren’t giving us much except for Hughes. A healthy Frank doesn’t save this team, I’m sorry. He has his limitations. I think he and Battle more/less maxed out last season. The offense can be a little better than last year but that’s like saying Wendy’s is better than Burger King. Both bad. They just don’t have enough talent and the continued poor fundamentals exasperates the issues. Last year’s final few games masked a lot of problems. There are players playing heavy minutes on this team that would barely see the court on a typical Syracuse Top 25 or other ‘elite program.’ We just don’t have the firepower to put teams away and the scheme/pace is going to keep supposedly inferior teams in it. I’m just trying to be realistic and honest but it’s what I see.
I heave read the narrative, I don't agree with the findings.

Offensively I just don’t see it. Not enough talent, speed, playmakers, and shooting. I don’t see a lot of high upside/ceiling players returning from last year and the newcomers aren’t giving us much except for Hughes. A healthy Frank doesn’t save this team, I’m sorry. I think he and Battle more/less maxed out last season. The offense can be a little better than last year but that’s like saying Wendy’s is better than Burger King. Both bad. They just don’t have enough talent and the continued poor fundamentals exasperates the issues. Last year’s final few games masked a lot of problems. There are players playing heavy minutes on this team that would barely see the court on a typical Syracuse Top 25 or other ‘elite program.’ We just don’t have the firepower to put teams away and the scheme/pace is going to keep supposedly inferior teams in it. I’m just trying to be realistic and honest but it’s what I see.

I'm of a slightly different mindset. I don't think that the last few games "masked" anything -- the team played better because they started to get a modicum of supplemental contributions from Marek and Chukwu. Marek in particular suddenly began to chip in as a complimentary scorer / shooter, giving us a fourth option that the team lacked most of the year. And all of the sudden we were just a little bit more formidable offensively, while peaking defensively.

The reason that many were optimistic heading into this season was not because they expected those issues to magically disappear, but rather because they expected those two to maintain that level of consistency, not regress back to where they aren't contributing much again. AND we have improved depth, whereas last year we had virtually none, and literally none in the backcourt.

Team performance has slipped, even from last year's pre-postseason level, IMO.

Top mid-major teams in a studentless morgue of a dome and the QB not at full speed = poor effort, apparently in practice as well= L.

I heave read the narrative, I don't agree with the findings.
I just gotta know this what is your age roughly? Like who was President when you could vote for the first time?

I could vote for the first time in 2004.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom