Sorry, but it is time... | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Sorry, but it is time...

hey! It's Christmas Eve there on the East Coast! Hope all you guys get a couple nice family days in before you have to go back to the grind. :)

Aren’t you the guy who wants Mackey to be the next HC? That would make the GMAC hire look brilliant in comparison... as in “hey at least we didn’t hire the former head coach’s grandson.”
I honestly did not believe that the University was going to spend the money to keep DB in place.

If PP got the chance land Ray Rice here he might still be coaching.
McCourty too. Rice and McCourty were a package. 2 impact players that did not come here when P got canned.

Carey really needs to start in my opinion that’s not even a question at this point

If you think Carey is an answer you are so wrong. He is no where near ready to be a significant factor.

If you think Carey is an answer you are so wrong. He is no where near ready to be a significant factor.

Disagree. Kid had 26 points against UConn. He’s been an impact defensive player at times too.

He’s got things to improve on, but he can play.

He’s shooting 44% from the field...better than Hughes, Brissett, and Howard so far. Not crazy to suggest he could help more if he was more involved. He’s still 4th on the team
In scoring.

Last edited:
Everyone has opinions on different lineups - personally think Marek is awful now - Brissett needs to come back??? he is a 4 year player that has zero chance of playing in the NBA - he's a player with no position

No one is an NBA level talent on this team, playing as they have this year. Heck Tyus who is probably our best was told as much or he would have left already.

Disagree. Kid had 26 points against UConn. He’s been an impact defensive player at times too.

One game, and he almost single handed lost two in MSG with poor ball control and bad decisions. He also turned the ball over at critical times vs ODU. No not a significant factor for our success at the present. Will he improve I sure as heck think and hope so, but not there now.

One game, and he almost single handed lost two in MSG with poor ball control and bad decisions. He also turned the ball over at critical times vs ODU. No not a significant factor for our success at the present. Will he improve I sure as heck think and hope so, but not there now.

4th on the team in scoring. 44% from the field which is better than OB, Hughes, and Howard. He’s got to turn it over less and improve his outside shot, but he brings some things to the table that we need too.

I still think Howard will start playing better and round into form. But if not, I don’t think getting Carey more involved would be a bad idea. We’re not exactly clinging to a high level of production at the moment.

No one is an NBA level talent on this team, playing as they have this year. Heck Tyus who is probably our best was told as much or he would have left already.

Lots wrong i this post but whats the point of correcting

He’s shooting 44% from the field...better than Hughes, Brissett, and Howard so far. Not crazy to suggest he could help more if he was more involved. He’s still 4th on the team
In scoring.

Once carey gets more burn, his decision making will improve and turnovers will go down. Not hard to see how talented he is and i do think hes ready, its just not going to come immediately

Last March, according to you, JB was a great coach.

Now, in the space of 12 games, he has gone from great to over the hill.

Please explain to me how that happens so quickly.

JB has been a great coach. There is still a long way to go in this season, but through 12 games this team has severely underachieved. And the last four seasons haven't exactly been splendid by any measure.

In scoring.
The fact that he is fourth on this team in scoring 12 games in tells you something has gone awry.

JB has been a great coach. There is still a long way to go in this season, but through 12 games this team has severely underachieved. And the last four seasons haven't exactly been splendid by any measure.
Here is the problem with your response.

Last March, you didn't say he "was" a great coach. You said, he "is" a great coach so the prior four seasons really had no impact on your opinion of him as a coach. You still thought he was great.

Therefore, I ask you again, what has changed in the last 12 games to make your opinion change so drastically?
Going from great to over-the-hill in 12 games is a pretty severe change of heart...

Here is the problem with your response.

Last March, you didn't say he "was" a great coach. You said, he "is" a great coach so the prior four seasons really had no impact on your opinion of him as a coach. You still thought he was great.

Therefore, I ask you again, what has changed in the last 12 games to make your opinion change so drastically?
Going from great to over-the-hill in 12 games is a pretty severe change of heart...

If you’d like to quote my response and show me where I did say that, I’d appreciate it. Tough to respond to what I said a year ago when I don’t see it.

That being said, he has the ability to be a great coach for a game or a stretch. I just question his ability to do it for an extended period and over the course of a season. We should not be on the bubble this year. Bottom line. And unless something drastic happens in the next 3 months, we will be. Also, the 5-year trend gives me all the evidence I need.

be interesting to see the energy brought by a new younger coach to this program.
might not be better. but it would be energy at least. program is growing stale.

robert-mankoff-old-man-in-rocking-chair-with-parot-saying-tick-tock-tick-tock-tick-toc-new-yorker-cartoon.jpg

Last edited:
Players make plays. Players execute plays. Players should make free throws. Players should not dribble the ball off their foot. Players need to fight for rebounds. This is not 100% on the staff. It's like people have never played sports in their life

If it was isolated and not a trend, sure. But that’s not the case.

If you’d like to quote my response and show me where I did say that, I’d appreciate it. Tough to respond to what I said a year ago when I don’t see it.

That being said, he has the ability to be a great coach for a game or a stretch. I just question his ability to do it for an extended period and over the course of a season. We should not be on the bubble this year. Bottom line. And unless something drastic happens in the next 3 months, we will be. Also, the 5-year trend gives me all the evidence I need.

Do I even need to say it?

Last edited:
The last few miracle runs to the Final Four and Sweet 16 have masked a terrible trend of Syracuse basketball. There have been many signs of decline -- many thought sanctions were a big part of it.

But this has been, by far, the most disappointing team I have seen since becoming a fan in 1994.

In my humble opinion, it is time for our coaching legend to either make drastic changes on his staff or to move into the retirement phase of his career.

We may make a run in the ACC for awhile, may win a game or two and still might make the tournament as a 12 seed. But this team is not playing to its potential and it is largely at the hands of the head coach and coaching staff.

The team with Andrew White and Tyler Lydon really underachieved, as well. We (including JB) thought that team had Final Four potential.

One thing I really don't like is Boeheim using the press to put down his players like he just did the other day ("Well, these are the same guys who lost 14 games last year.")

Players make plays. Players execute plays. Players should make free throws. Players should not dribble the ball off their foot. Players need to fight for rebounds. This is not 100% on the staff. It's like people have never played sports in their life

Players need to be put in positions where they can make plays.
That is what coaching is all about.

When was the last time you saw us run a play on offense that wound up with someone wide open making a basket who you didn't expect to take the shot?

(That is, do you ever see us create chances to score from our offense, or is it just guys trying to drive past other guys, and then launching 3 point shots, if they can't get by their defender?)

Our defense is outstanding but our offense has sucked for years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom