Sorry, but it is time... | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Sorry, but it is time...

St. Joe's is one of their old rivals from the A10, like when we play a BigEast team all bets are off. UNI has been a very potent mid-major for at least a decade and for some reason, they played ODU 2 games in a row. Also Stony is the class of the America East. None of these teams are pushovers and will knockout some big dogs in the tourney. After the Frank injury,the team was slumping and they caught us at the right time. I think we would crush them now.

Northern Iowa May have been a big deal nine years ago, but in 2019 they suck.

One thin I’ve learned from posting here for so long is that it’s very easy to cherry pick data points to make any mid major you want look like a juggernaut.

We shouldn’t be losing to ODU at home.

Northern Iowa May have been a big deal nine years ago, but in 2019 they suck.

One thin I’ve learned from posting here for so long is that it’s very easy to cherry pick data points to make any mid major you want look like a juggernaut.

We shouldn’t be losing to ODU at home.
Both our point guards are injured with HW being out and Frank just getting healthy. Does that matter? Jeff Jones at ODU is a great coach and I would fully endorse him as a candidate to replace JB.

Both our point guards are injured with HW being out and Frank just getting healthy. Does that matter? Jeff Jones at ODU is a great coach and I would fully endorse him as a candidate to replace JB.

OK so is the narrative that Old Domion is awesome or that our guards were hurt?

Jalen Carey wasn’t hurt for ODU, Frank was at least serviceable, and lol if we need to lean on Howard f$&:ing Washington to beat a mid tier Conference USA team.

OK so is the narrative that Old Domion is awesome or that our guards were hurt?

Jalen Carey wasn’t hurt for ODU, Frank was at least serviceable, and lol if we need to lean on Howard f$&:ing Washington to beat a mid tier Conference USA team.
Both facts are relevant. ODU is not a mid tier CUSA team. ODU is investing heavily and is becoming a player in Virginia athletics. They beat VTech in football this year as well. Jalen Carey is a freshman who has yet to fully understand the system and is more of a 2 guard who looks for his shot than to set the offense. Which he is great at.

Both facts are relevant. ODU is not a mid tier CUSA team. ODU is investing heavily and is becoming a player in Virginia athletics. They beat VTech in football this year as well. Jalen Carey is a freshman who has yet to fully understand the system and is more of a 2 guard who looks for his shot than to set the offense. Which he is great at.
The CUSA champions last year were a 13 seed.
In 2017 the CUSA champion was a 12 seed
In 2016 the CUSA champion was a 15 seed
The conference has had upsets in the tournament but it’s a garbage conference since it got raided when the American was formed:
It’s not a conference that has gotten at large bid in 7 years.

I mean most of this is just tangential at best, which is obviously par for the course but I’m not going to dignify it with a response. That being said I see we’ve switched from “Jalen Carey was hurt” to “Jalen Carey is a freshman.”

I mean most of this is just tangential at best, which is obviously par for the course but I’m not going to dignify it with a response. That being said I see we’ve switched from “Jalen Carey was hurt” to “Jalen Carey is a freshman.”
You just keep beating the drum and finding every reason that our hall of fame coach is washed up and should be canned. The team now has shifted gears and is ready for conference play, that is all that matters at this point.

The CUSA champions last year were a 13 seed.
In 2017 the CUSA champion was a 12 seed
In 2016 the CUSA champion was a 15 seed
The conference has had upsets in the tournament but it’s a garbage conference since it got raided when the American was formed:
It’s not a conference that has gotten at large bid in 7 years.
ODU got edged out by MTSU the last few years but their coach left now and ODU should be top dog in the CUSA as long as Jones is their coach.

Ok...let's take your opinion to the real world. You are an adviser to the university.

You walk into Wildhack's office tomorrow and tell him, "John, I know that Boeheim is coming off one of his finest coaching jobs last year but the team is really under-performing this year and we need to seriously think about making a change."

This is what you are advocating for.

Would you do that?

What do you think his reaction would be?

I am on a freaking fan message board. Why am I advising the University on any decisions?

You just keep beating the drum and finding every reason that our hall of fame coach is washed up and should be canned. The team now has shifted gears and is ready for conference play, that is all that matters at this point.

I know that this is hilariously beyond your ability but please show me where I said that Jim Boeheim is washed up and should be canned.

We’ll start with that and for the time being ignore the fact that there’s a little bit of wiggle room between “we shouldnt lose to ODU at home” and “FIRE BOEHEIM NOW!!!!one”

I think JB’s biggest hope for this season is a serviceable Sidibe and a power game from Brissett. I think Chukwu is toast, physically. Eventhough playing Marek at C puts us at a disadvantage physically, it puts our best offensive team on the floor. I think we see a lot more of Marek just because that’s what we have.

Watching this 2011 game shows just how much we need a strong presence in the middle. Need to grab a big boy at center this year, even if it’s a JUCO.

I know that this is hilariously beyond your ability but please show me where I said that Jim Boeheim is washed up and should be canned.

We’ll start with that and for the time being ignore the fact that there’s a little bit of wiggle room between “we shouldnt lose to ODU at home” and “FIRE BOEHEIM NOW!!!!one”
The entire premise of the thread is why Boeheim should hit the bricks. If you can't see that your blind or believe he should. I'm pointing out FACTS that have led to the current state and why the team is getting past them. ODU is a strong team that could beat just about anybody, the fact that people here dismiss that shows a lack of fundamental understanding of the current state of college basketball. What they really have is an ax to grind for Boeheim.

I am on a freaking fan message board. Why am I advising the University on any decisions?
Just answer the question.

You've advocated to the board that the university needs to seriously consider a change at the top of the basketball program.

Would you do the same to the guy who actually makes the call?

The entire premise of the thread is why Boeheim should hit the bricks. If you can't see that your blind or believe he should. I'm pointing out FACTS that have led to the current state and why the team is getting past them. ODU is a strong team that could beat just about anybody, the fact that people here dismiss that shows a lack of fundamental understanding of the current state of college basketball. What they really have is an ax to grind for Boeheim.

Yes facts like Northern Iowa is good or that ODUs football team beating a Virginia Tech team that has a losing record is somehow germane to SU losing at home to the basketball team.

Liberty is investing in athletics too. I’ll remember to temper my expectations 8/31

You seem to be in love with mediocrity, so it makes sense that you'd endorse a coach that has won only 58% of the games he's coached career (2/3rds of which were played in mid-major conferences) and would be at least 61 years old when Buddy finishes at SU. I mean, that was a straight up INSANE statement for a program of SU's caliber. If Jeff Jones is the best we can do after Boeheim is gone, we are in a lot of trouble.

Just answer the question.

You've advocated to the board that the university needs to seriously consider a change at the top of the basketball program.

Would you do the same to the guy who actually makes the call?

Yes, I absolutely would. The program is stale.

It has lost to Buffalo and Old Dominion at the Dome this year and is looking at another double-digit loss season, the fifth (FIFTH) straight year in which we have lost 10+ games. It has missed or has been on the brink of missing the NCAA Tournament each of the last four years.

I'm hopeful this team changes the narrative and is able to prove me wrong. I really am. But overall, looking at the last 4+ seasons and looking at what the program has become as it relates to the league its in (RE: middle of the pack in the ACC), something in the program needs to change. And I believe others know this too.

All that being said, I'm going to root like heck for SU and hope they win every single one of the remaining games. I don't wish ill will on anyone and don't want this team to lose to prove me right. I want Syracuse basketball to remain a national power, I want to see it in the Top 25 every single week and I want the program to compete for national titles on a semi-consistent basis.

Given the resources, fan base, league and exposure the program receives, it should be an expectation. The bubble and 10-loss seasons should not be.

You seem to be in love with mediocrity, so it makes sense that you'd endorse a coach that has won only 58% of the games he's coached career (2/3rds of which were played in mid-major conferences) and would be at least 61 years old when Buddy finishes at SU. I mean, that was a straight up INSANE statement for a program of SU's caliber. If Jeff Jones is the best we can do after Boeheim is gone, we are in a lot of trouble.

Is a coach that hasn’t made the tournament since 2009 not something you’re interested in?

St. Joe's is one of their old rivals from the A10, like when we play a BigEast team all bets are off. UNI has been a very potent mid-major for at least a decade and for some reason, they played ODU 2 games in a row. Also Stony is the class of the America East. None of these teams are pushovers and will knockout some big dogs in the tourney. After the Frank injury,the team was slumping and they caught us at the right time. I think we would crush them now.

LOL.

Old Dominion, St. Joe's, Northern Iowa and Stony Brook. All teams I'd expect a quality ACC team to beat, and beat soundly.

Another JB hater chimes in.

LOL.

Old Dominion, St. Joe's, Northern Iowa and Stony Brook. All teams I'd expect a quality ACC team to beat, and beat soundly.
UVA lost UMBC in the tourney last year, didn't they.

God forbid

Right. Even with Ray Rice, we still would’ve had the same QBs and passing game that had been limiting us to a .500 type team for half a decade.

For example, though individually none were on the level of Rice, we had 3 NFL guys in our backfield in Mungro, Brown, and Davis in 2000 and went 6-5 because our QB’s combined to throw 10 TDs and 19 INT’s. Wouldn’t have been much better than we had been even with Rice, IMO.

Right. Even with Ray Rice, we still would’ve had the same QBs and passing game that had been limiting us to a .500 type team for half a decade.

For example, though individually none were on the level of Rice, we had 3 NFL guys in our backfield in Mungro, Brown, and Davis in 2000 and went 6-5 because our QB’s combined to throw 10 TDs and 19 INT’s. Wouldn’t have been much better than we had been even with Rice, IMO.
The problem wasn’t moving on from PP it was the job done by Dr. Gross replacing him.
PP had a good run here it was that we hired an incompetent in over his head replacement who was fired where he had his greatest success at.
If we hired Pelini or anyone else we wouldn’t have suffered as badly as we did for 4 years.

JB is different than PP.
JB will decide when he is done but asking for some changes to our offense philosophy isn’t a lot to ask.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom