Sorry, but it is time... | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Sorry, but it is time...

as a young untested coach JB took over a final four team. the Dome and the huge crowds gave him a huge boost. dave gavitt and the Big East conference gave him a huge boost. the ZONE d novelty gave him a boost. we ACC now . what's his next boost ?

as a young untested coach JB took over a final four team. the Dome and the huge crowds gave him a huge boost. dave gavitt and the Big East conference gave him a huge boost. the ZONE d novelty gave him a boost. we ACC now . what's his next boost ?

No, there was a year in between when Danforth still was coach (and we were still good, just not Final Four good). They won 20 games but finished the season on a four game losing streak. They won the ECAC play-in qualifiers, but lost in the first round of the NCAA to Texas Tech.

Boeheim didn't take over a Final Four team; he took over two years after Danforth's Final Four run, and the biggest contributors remaining from that team were Bug Williams, Ross Kindel and Bob Parker.

Last edited:
They finally have some depth this year.

We were 10 deep just a couple years ago and barely avoided the NIT.
I hope for the best, and this season certainly isn't over. But things are not looking good.

Gmac has more recruiting expierience tha. Larrañaga. Honestly if Wildhack hired him I’d be pissed. Especially since his father has been caught cheating.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the lack of recruiting track record for the head coach if he made up for it with X's and O's and player development. Reality is that most college coaches aren't really that great with x's and o's stuff it's mostly just recruiting so if our new guy was advanced that could make up for quite a bit of the recruiting learning curve in the short term. Also, if he just hires a staff of proven recruiters between everything our program has to offer we'd do just fine getting our fair share of talent.

I'd be pretty surprised if Jay comes to Syracuse though. I know his wife a little bit through a mutual friend and can't see her leaving Boston. She remodels/interior designs private planes for a living (did Michael Jordan's plane actually which was pretty cool to talk with her about) and that's just tough to do from Syracuse.

I'd love Cooley, Oats or who knows who pops up in the next 3 years. Oats will have moved on by then though. I'd love a fresh mind with outside perspective and think GMac would be way too obvious of a mistake so can't see JW doing that.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the lack of recruiting track record for the head coach if he made up for it with X's and O's and player development. Reality is that most college coaches aren't really that great with x's and o's stuff it's mostly just recruiting so if our new guy was advanced that could make up for quite a bit of the recruiting learning curve in the short term. Also, if he just hires a staff of proven recruiters between everything our program has to offer we'd do just fine getting our fair share of talent.

I'd be pretty surprised if Jay comes to Syracuse though. I know his wife a little bit through a mutual friend and can't see her leaving Boston. She remodels/interior designs private planes for a living (did Michael Jordan's plane actually which was pretty cool to talk with her about) and that's just tough to do from Syracuse.

I'd love Cooley, Oats or who knows who pops up in the next 3 years. Oats will have moved on by then though. I'd love a fresh mind with outside perspective and think GMac would be way too obvious of a mistake so can't see JW doing that.

All I know is posters opinions tend to be wrong. 75 percent of the posters who poo pooed Hopkins when he took over for JB in 2015 now think he's the greatest thing ever.

Last edited:
All I know is posters opinions tend to be wrong. 75 percent of the posters who poo pooed Hopkins when he took over for JB in 2015 now think he's the greatest thing over.

Many posters tend to be reactionary or victims of the moment. Anyone informed of Hop's contributions to the program over the years and how highly all the former players spoke of him knew the coach in waiting tag was well deserved. Judging a guy's entire career's work over a small sample set of playing substitute teacher was asinine.

Not to mention with the benefit of hindsight his "poor" showing doesn't really deviate too far from the program's performance under JB that season or in the seasons since then.

Boeheim tries to do this, in his own way. He wants us to limit turnovers, so that's why the PGs play so damn slow. It's been that way ever since Tyler Ennis and 25-0.

Ever since then, our game plan has been to try to stay at or under 10 turnovers per game, and to force 15-20. Turnovers make up for rebounds, to an extent, by giving you extra possessions.

In the old days (I'm talking 1980s - early 2000s), we used to run a lot more on offense, we liked to get our athletes in the open court, where they excelled, and we were OK with 15-20 turnovers in a game, because we were getting so many more shot opportunities and were crashing the offensive boards on the secondary break.

I think it is this over concern with TO's that has changed Boeheim's in-game strategy in a negative / defensive way. There is a certain risk-reward to running. Yes, there are going to be turnovers, but you are also going to get a lot of layups, and a lot of trips to the foul line - things we are decidedly NOT getting from this current offense.
I don’t agree with a lot of what you say,but this is something I’ve observed over the past few years. The lack of pushing the ball and getting out on fast breaks is obvious since 2015. And I worry that JB has become overly concerned with our offense committing turnovers, so we don’t push the ball after forcing a turnover as much as we used to.

I think a top-notch recruiter has to be the #1 criterion. The adjustment period is going to be tough. Unless it's going to be someone who's already on the staff, we won't be playing Boeheim-style ball and likely won't be managing the program in the same way. The current players will have to adjust to new schemes, a new way of doing things altogether. That may take a while, if they even decide to stick it out. Top recruits will take some of the heat off the head guy while the program is in flux. If we continue to be mediocre or worse in Boeheim's last years, then a top recruiter will be necessary to avoid a longish downturn. And if the new coach can't cut it, at least he will leave the cupboard full.
We will hire a Chris Mack, Chris Holtmann, or Archie Miller type and be fine. This program isn’t getting some inexperienced newbie who had one nice NCAA tourney run.

So, none of it was JB, Huh. Who knew?
well i'll just assume you've all watched REQUIEM FOR THE BIG EAST a hundred times. JB says as much.
i said he got help. and that help came in the form of a huge dome and dave gavitt's marketing foresight.
wanna dispute that be my guest. but remember your coach is on record saying the exact same thing.

Last edited:
I don’t agree with a lot of what you say,but this is something I’ve observed over the past few years. The lack of pushing the ball and getting out on fast breaks is obvious since 2015. And I worry that JB has become overly concerned with our offense committing turnovers, so we don’t push the ball after forcing a turnover as much as we used to.

I think it is a direct result of Frank and the Centers. Boeheim has said in the radio shows and in pressers that his style hasn’t changed and he would like to push more. Last year more by design because the team was so short handed. Frank clearly by now looks more comfortable walking it up and plodding. Not probing and attacking downhill weaving through guys like many fast PGs do. The Centers plod too and have suspect hands. I think we’re stuck with this more/less until the new backcourt next season and if we can get a different kind of Center in here. They also have trouble rebounding. Boeheim has seen enough follies in practice to realize most likely that it isn’t in the cards. We won’t be playing anymore Arkansas States either.

As far as the cutting turnovers down theory. Possible. I don’t really buy it. Time and time again these guys seem to be allowed to dribble around through their legs or behind their back out by the 3-pt line. Coming off picks or curls. Often unforced. They lose the ball or get stripped and it leads to a break the other way. It has happened multiple times in almost every game. Not just this year. Lazy passes side-side. They don’t generally have enough possessions to truly do serious damage to themselves but it’s sloppy ball obviously. You play how you practice, IMO.

I think it is a direct result of Frank and the Centers. Boeheim has said in the radio shows and in pressers that his style hasn’t changed and he would like to push more. Last year more by design because the team was so short handed. Frank clearly by now looks more comfortable walking it up and plodding. Not probing and attacking downhill weaving through guys like many fast PGs do. The Centers plod too and have suspect hands. I think we’re stuck with this more/less until the new backcourt next season and if we can get a different kind of Center in here. They also have trouble rebounding. Boeheim has seen enough follies in practice to realize most likely that it isn’t in the cards. We won’t be playing anymore Arkansas States either.

As far as the cutting turnovers down theory. Possible. I don’t really buy it. Time and time again these guys seem to be allowed to dribble around through their legs or behind their back out by the 3-pt line. Coming off picks or curls. Often unforced. They lose the ball or get stripped and it leads to a break the other way. It has happened multiple times in almost every game. Not just this year. Lazy passes side-side. They don’t generally have enough possessions to truly do serious damage to themselves but it’s sloppy ball obviously. You play how you practice, IMO.

Yea that’s it. Lol.

fdbc2cfca808e10f5d5ef7ab585ff206_crop_north.png.cf.png

<<It’s what I see and my opinion. I don’t like it either lol.>>

You're like the soccer mom who has no awareness that there are 10 other players out there other than her kid. All she sees is her kid. You're just like that with Frank. If you think it's all about what you see, and that makes it all Frank's and the centers' fault, your peripheral vision needs checking.

Maybe nothing this time around but you have to give JB his due. We definitely could have done better than him but he has done ALOT. Still, those missed opportunities sting. 1987, 1988, 1991, 1995, 2005, 2010, 2011, and 2012. Hit on just a couple of those and we're all sticking solid gold Boeheim statues in our yards.

<<It’s what I see and my opinion. I don’t like it either lol.>>

You're like the soccer mom who has no awareness that there are 10 other players out there other than her kid. All she sees is her kid. You're just like that with Frank. If you think it's all about what you see, and that makes it all Frank's and the centers' fault, your peripheral vision needs checking.

Riight. You got a better theory? I’d say the PG and Centers are a huge factor in not pushing more. The rebounding too. It is what it is. Plus they don’t have a lot of team speed. So what? We’re stuck for now.

Maybe nothing this time around but you have to give JB his due. We definitely could have done better than him but he has done ALOT. Still, those missed opportunities sting. 1987, 1988, 1991, 1995, 2005, 2010, 2011, and 2012. Hit on just a couple of those and we're all sticking solid gold Boeheim statues in our yards.

I assume “hit on just a couple” means win it all?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom