Sorry Nate Mink | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Sorry Nate Mink

Liberty will give us the metric to how the ACC season will go. Are we good like Ohio or lousy like Rutgers. If we play well and beat liberty with a functional offense there might be some hope. If we lose and look crappy then we are screwed. Seasons have milestones. Rutgers and liberty were two of them. If we can beat liberty there is more hope then if we lose. Albany doesn’t tell us much unfortunately especially if we run the ball 50 times. I want to see the offense opened up, we should dominate this game. Anything else and we are in back to room and gloom.

I honestly don’t know who else we can beat based on what I saw against Rutgers. maybe Wake Forest? The most disturbing thing was the lack of game plan amd some of the dumb in game decisions that we witnessed. I just don’t know if I have the confidence in the coaching staff to formulate and stick to any type of game plan.

@orangeauburn had an excellent post, I still think Shrader is starting by acc play
Is Liberty any good? I honestly have no idea, just seems like a weird "milestone" if they're mediocre at best. Possible they're meh, we beat them, and then go 1-7 in the ACC. Not sure how predictive that game is going to be.

Is Liberty any good? I honestly have no idea, just seems like a weird "milestone" if they're mediocre at best. Possible they're meh, we beat them, and then go 1-7 in the ACC. Not sure how predictive that game is going to be.

At the very least I think we'll learn more how good our defense actually is. Willis is a legit NFL draft prospect

so nice to see clean pockets, deep passes that were caught, a pop pass to the tight end and throwing to a guy that wasn't clearly open and allowing that receiver to make a play.

One thing to keep in mind with Shrader for those speculating about him leaving if he doesn't get the job, he has already used his free transfer. So he'll need to sit a year if he transfers on the FBS level. Of course, he could go to the FCS level and play right away.
Lots of good FCS football being played in the Dakotas, and qbs being drafted from there.

Let’s be honest he already made the choice before Ohio. Based on pure reps you cannot honestly cannot say TD was not always DBs choice.
You keep saying he made his choice but I don't see it that way at all. Devito was a safe play against OU. We have to win that game and Dino knows that. He was confident we can win with keeping Devito in and he gave him no reason to pull him. Devito looked better than Shrader during camp but that is not completely Live ball as we know. He is wanting to see what Shrader has but also knows we must win games. Dino will play whoever he thinks will win, period. Why would he not? Shrader hasn't shown a ton in his stints so far. He missed quite a few throws, hasn't been successful running the ball, and his overall command hasn't looked great. We all know Devito's faults. I'm still unsure who is the better QB to roll with and part of that is Shrader's smaller sample size. But Dino needs to win and he is keeping that in mind as well. I think Dino is getting too much blame for the number of QB snaps each is getting. You can debate the timing of when and the situations during the Rutgers game if you want. But we have to win games. You don't just put Shrader in half the time and Devito the other half to see who plays better. We have to win. The fans are mainly up in arms because the offense sucks in general and who can blame them. The QB starter is just a piece of that. He wants a decision to be made now just like the fans are clamoring for, although the fans are pretty split in that decision. He knows its better to run with one QB to get them and the offense into a flow. The longer it lingers the more it can cause problems in the locker room etc. Having them answer it on the field is the way. Problem is the answer is still blurry and Albany isn't exactly a great litmus test.

Last edited:
Wow , it amazes me the knowledge of the future some posters have.
Yup. It’s tiresome. When SU is playing well, this board is a fun place to read and post and enjoy the ride. And sometimes, even when SU is not playing well, it’s a good place to get some depth of understanding regarding why, and what might be a more reasonable outlook than what I typically hear on the street. But lately in the last two weeks, it’s almost unreadable. I spend all of my time just trying to find a thread that isn’t bashing everyone or as you say, predicting worse case scenarios based on their own negative views.

Oh well. Go Orange!

What alarms me is it seems that Dino is letting the pressure get to him leading to him rush a decision he obviously doesn't feel comfortable making at this time. If you waited this long to see what both guys can do, you're going to make a decision based on 3 drives by Schrader and then a game against Albany? It doesn't seem like a strategy, but more like his decisions late in the Pitt game to not call timeouts because he just wanted to be done with it.

I think he knows in his heart of hearts it has to be Shrader but he is giving Tommy every possible chance he can to prove himself.

Their dynamics and what he must have promised that family to get a commitment must be something else.

If you don't go with Shrader he probably leaves the program.

You're already losing DeVito next year anyways. I'm bullish on Morgan and Lamson potential, but do you risk losing two guys when you only need to lose one?

I think we see Tex or Morgan transfer next year. So if they do and you don't bring in a QB, and you lose Shrader on top of DeVito, you are left with an empty cupboard again.
Why would shrader go if he’s the starter next year?

You keep saying he made his choice but I don't see it that way at all. Devito was a safe play against OU. We have to win that game and Dino knows that. He was confident we can win with keeping Devito in and he gave him no reason to pull him. Devito looked better than Shrader during camp but that is not completely Live ball as we know. He is wanting to see what Shrader has but also knows we must win games. Dino will play whoever he thinks will win, period. Why would he not? Shrader hasn't shown a ton in his stints so far. He missed quite a few throws, hasn't been successful running the ball, and his overall command hasn't looked great. We all know Devito's faults. I'm still unsure who is the better QB to roll with and part of that is Shrader's smaller sample size. But Dino needs to win and he is keeping that in mind as well. I think Dino is getting too much blame for the number of QB snaps each is getting. You can debate the timing of when and the situations during the Rutgers game if you want. But we have to win games. You don't just put Shrader in half the time and Devito the other half to see who plays better. We have to win. The fans are mainly up in arms because the offense sucks in general and who can blame them. The QB starter is just a piece of that. He wants a decision to be made now just like the fans are clamoring for, although the fans are pretty split in that decision. He knows its better to run with one QB to get them and the offense into a flow. The longer it lingers the more it can cause problems in the locker room etc. Having them answer it on the field is the way. Problem is the answer is still blurry and Albany isn't exactly a great litmus test.
Thank you. Good post.

Yup. It’s tiresome. When SU is playing well, this board is a fun place to read and post and enjoy the ride. And sometimes, even when SU is not playing well, it’s a good place to get some depth of understanding regarding why, and what might be a more reasonable outlook than what I typically hear on the street. But lately in the last two weeks, it’s almost unreadable. I spend all of my time just trying to find a thread that isn’t bashing everyone or as you say, predicting worse case scenarios based on their own negative views.

Oh well. Go Orange!
That's because during those two weeks we beat a creampuff who gave up as many points to an FCS team as they did us. It's because during those two weeks we haven't seen a single TD pass. It's because the coach is starting to look lost and make excuses like crowd noise affected the home punter. We've seen this script play out, it doesn't end well. Schiano coached circles around Babers on Sat. Babers has been a head coach for 10 years now, he shouldn't be getting pantsed by Schiano. Tiresome is 4 winning seasons in 20 years. That for a fan is very tiresome.

That's because during those two weeks we beat a creampuff who gave up as many points to an FCS team as they did us. It's because during those two weeks we haven't seen a single TD pass. It's because the coach is starting to look lost and make excuses like crowd noise affected the home punter. We've seen this script play out, it doesn't end well. Schiano coached circles around Babers on Sat. Babers has been a head coach for 10 years now, he shouldn't be getting pantsed by Schiano. Tiresome is 4 winning seasons in 20 years. That for a fan is very tiresome.
Awesome. Thanks.

Lots of good FCS football being played in the Dakotas, and qbs being drafted from there.
I agree. It's a viable route. My alma mater plays FCS ball. Just something he'd have to consider though.

Oh well. Go Orange!

The negativity stinks, but SU has won 7 games since the start of 2019. Fans just want competency and a decent idea that things will improve. It's frustrating seeing the same mistakes for years now.

Always a nice idea to just avoid the board for the first couple days after a loss, then things calm down a little.

These clips are so great.

Play #1 and #2 the pass protection is perfect, including Strickland with some help. Play #3 a BIG WR making a great play and #4 a TE pop pass.

oh my kingdom for ...

I was actually thinking of this game this morning; how we all felt TD was going to take us to the next level...

Awesome. Thanks.
Don't mention it

Seriously though, complaining bout the complainers isn't going to get them(me) to stop. I mean some of the stuff we're complaining about and making the most noise about is actually pretty fixable. You know stuff like don't complain about crowd noise when your at home punting on offense. Stuff like using a TE over the middle. Stuff like scoring more than 18ppg against two lousy teams. Nobody's in here complaining that we aren't competing with Clemson, we are worried we can't compete with Wake. All this complaining boils down to one thing, we are looking for something to hold onto and can't find it.

To me Liberty is the fork in the road for Dino Babers. If they lose this one, I'm not sure the team can get back on track in the ACC and save his job or salvage a bowl. HUGE hill to climb at that point. So yes, that's a weird/demented milestone but I think that's where this program is and where Dino's coaching career could die/live

If we make the next two 3 foot putts (wins vs Albany, Liberty), we're sitting at 3-1 and once again we'll be judged by these teams (who i used to think we were on par with): BC, Pitt, NC State, WF. You split that and we're one win from the vaunted halls of mediocre bowling. I would hope we could find a win with FSU, Clemson, Tech, Louisville.

I think he knows in his heart of hearts it has to be Shrader but he is giving Tommy every possible chance he can to prove himself.

Their dynamics and what he must have promised that family to get a commitment must be something else.

If you don't go with Shrader he probably leaves the program.

You're already losing DeVito next year anyways. I'm bullish on Morgan and Lamson potential, but do you risk losing two guys when you only need to lose one?

I think we see Tex or Morgan transfer next year. So if they do and you don't bring in a QB, and you lose Shrader on top of DeVito, you are left with an empty cupboard again.
Please, no more what the family must have been promised to get a commitment...it sounds like something a certain parent would go on about.

Reactions: CIL
Probable but not definite. Coming off a 1 win season, he may have just started with the safe choice to try to eek out 2-0 and use Albany as the first real action for Shrader. All the while, with GS getting more practice reps and learning the offense a bit more each of those first couple weeks.

Why would shrader go if he’s the starter next year?
What's the guarantee he is? Lamson and Morgan may have something to say about it

These clips are so great.

Play #1 and #2 the pass protection is perfect, including Strickland with some help. Play #3 a BIG WR making a great play and #4 a TE pop pass.

oh my kingdom for ...
My favorite was when the UNC coach couldn't put his visor back on, prolly mulling his job options