Southerland situation... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Southerland situation...

I genuinely understand why the people in the know on this board are vague when they have behind the scenes info, but it Is one of the most frustrating things to deal with when starved for info. I'm picturing the aforementioned going "nah nah nah nah nah... I know something you don't know," as they stick their tongue out.

Take that and add a slice of "my source is better than your source" braggadocio and you've got a majority of the pay board content.

Academic support tends to mean a dedicated Academic Advisor who makes sure the student-athlete is enrolled in the proper curriculum, attempting and completing an appropriate number of credits, attending classes and making Satisfactory Academic Progress. It's a combination of mind-bogglingly frustrating factors: Financial Aid rules, institutional academic rules, NCAA regulations, sometimes conference or institutional regulations specific to student-athletes, and often most frustrating of all, the whims, thoughts, and generally befuddled behavior of college age students.

Throw in the fact that many athletes in revenue generating sports tend not to come from the strongest academic backgrounds, supportive home environments in terms of academic achievement, may have motivations, such as "f it, I'm just gonna go pro" that don't align with academic goals, etc, and it can be a mess of a job, even at low-major and D-3 schools.

Anyway, that could be what Jake is referring to. Please tell JB my resume may still be on file from the last opening I applied for.

Academic support tends to mean a dedicated Academic Advisor who makes sure the student-athlete is enrolled in the proper curriculum, attempting and completing an appropriate number of credits, attending classes and making Satisfactory Academic Progress. It's a combination of mind-bogglingly frustrating factors: Financial Aid rules, institutional academic rules, NCAA regulations, sometimes conference or institutional regulations specific to student-athletes, and often most frustrating of all, the whims, thoughts, and generally befuddled behavior of college age students.

Throw in the fact that many athletes in revenue generating sports tend not to come from the strongest academic backgrounds, supportive home environments in terms of academic achievement, may have motivations, such as "f it, I'm just gonna go pro" that don't align with academic goals, etc, and it can be a mess of a job, even at low-major and D-3 schools.

Anyway, that could be what Jake is referring to. Please tell JB my resume may still be on file from the last opening I applied for.

NOT someone dropping the ball in academic support means not

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

This is not an issue involving last semester grades. It's not a case of someone sleeping at the wheel in academic support. Still 50/50 on his return.

Thanks, Jake.

NOT someone dropping the ball in academic support means not

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

You don't say.

But I was really not clear in my post. The crux of my poorly made, waiting for the coffee to brew post is my second paragraph- that even with all of the supports in the world in place, college students are ultimately responsible. If the professionals in the area have their hands full keeping everything going smoothly, it's even harder because ultimately it's up to the student to follow the advice, etc.

My last paragraph was a lame attempt at humor because I sounded like a bloviating jackass in the previous two.

Like drunk posting, I really should avoid posting before fully waking up.

I appreciate knowing that there is a chance he is coming back. So thanks for the info Jake no matter how vauge you have to be.

My hope is for James to make it to graduation. He is after all a student first.
Lets all wait and see what happens and try and not condemn him in his last few months here.

He's been a favorite of mine since he made all those open shots in his first game in uniform after I heard he was a "shooter" on the Scoop and Wes Show.

This smells like a course completion issue .. work either not handed in or unsatisfactory (plagiarized, wrong subject covered, etc..). JS is a Child and Family Studies major -- hopefully something can be worked out after he spends a few games on the bench and pays his penance.

Academic Support dropped the ball. Damn, I hate it when that happens. Next time Southy should call Robert Ludlum.

Academic support did not necessarily drop the ball; that group cannot force a student-athlete to do the right thing; they do what they are able. If this is an academic issue it's on James. Having said that, it may be correctable if whatever is undone is completed and taken care of as soon as possible.

ladies and gentlemen, if it's not related to academics from the past semester -- all this speculation about incomplete coursework or appealing a grade makes no sense.

ladies and gentlemen, if it's not related to academics from the past semester -- all this speculation about incomplete coursework or appealing a grade makes no sense.

That is what I gathered from Jake's two posts in this trhead as well.

Academic Support dropped the ball. Damn, I hate it when that happens. Next time Southy should call Robert Ludlum.

Southerland needs someone to help him straighten out his Longfellow.

Are they finally punishing him for farting all over the court?

Otherwise known as a dirty bomb.

I hope he's back soon, the team needs him and it's been fun watching him show that he's more than just a 3 point guy.

Great comprehensive post on the nature of academic support; you really capture the issues involved when working with student athletes in a college environment. Many in the field of Higher Ed. refer to it as...
herdingcats-2.jpg

All I want to know about this situation is will it be resolved for the Cincy game next Monday? I get to see one game a year thanks to my very thoughtful sister and I'd like to see a complete team this year.

You don't say.

But I was really not clear in my post. The crux of my poorly made, waiting for the coffee to brew post is my second paragraph- that even with all of the supports in the world in place, college students are ultimately responsible. If the professionals in the area have their hands full keeping everything going smoothly, it's even harder because ultimately it's up to the student to follow the advice, etc.

My last paragraph was a lame attempt at humor because I sounded like a bloviating jackass in the previous two.

I saw my academic advisor maybe 3 times in my entire SU career- as a freshman & one time deciding on a major my junior year.
All the supports in the world don't mean squat if you don't utilize them, & the responsibility lies mostly on the student.
That being said, the annual proctology exam known as in-season SU basketball, is getting VERY stale.
Enough was enough for the last 5 seasons, but something always comes up...AGAIN! :bang:

I saw my academic advisor maybe 3 times in my entire SU career- as a freshman & one time deciding on a major my junior year.
All the supports in the world don't mean squat if you don't utilize them, & the responsibility lies mostly on the student.
That being said, the annual proctology exam known as in-season SU basketball, is getting VERY stale.
Enough was enough for the last 5 seasons, but something always comes up...AGAIN! :bang:
Were you an athlete?

Were you an athlete?
Good point...and good question.
No, I wasn't- but the choice of engaging my student counselor was left entirely up to me, and I didn't have coaches or tutors looking over my shoulder.
Logically, one would think that having that extra support would make it MORE likely for an athlete to toe the line, as opposed to a hormone-addled kid like me.
Naively perhaps, I believe that "more is better". I had to do Summer Sessions twice to catch up and STILL graduated a 1/2 year late.
And, btw- there were numerous athletes taking Summer Sessions at SU, so yes...the onus remains on the athlete themselves. JMHO

Hey, I took fencing at SU.
Seriously.
Wasn't so easy.
I still have the scars to prove it.

Then I realized you're supposed to touch your opponents with the blade, not hit them over the head with the handle.
Hey, don't I know it. I was on my high school fencing team. Tough sport, to be certain. One of the hardest things is training, practicing with the gear and mask on. Brutal to do laps with all that gear and mask weighing you down, no kidding.

Great sport though, very challenging and probably some parallels to boxing.

I take it you were Sabre or Eppe fencing as opposed to Foil fencing if you've got the scars to prove it. ;)

You don't say.

Reading your original post, I wonder how Kentucky does it? Or for that matter, the SEC schools in football. If its maddening to operate this system for 12 basketball players, imagine it for close to 100 players for the football factory programs. I said semi-facetiously when this stuff (re:Southerland) happens more often with our football program, we will know we have made it.
Liked your other post, love the adjective "hormone-addled"...that sums it up. Usually the answer to the question "Why did <fill-in-the-blank> happen?" is usually "a testosterone fueled 17-25yr old male"

I only saw my advisor ...um....wait...probably shouldn't hold that up as an example considering my outcome :-/

based on reading jakes post the only thing that comes to mind is his eligibility coming out of prep school or older coursework..which is why i asked if previous wins were in danger. outside of that i would say its likely a unique situation that no amount of rampid speculation is going to get someone to spill the beans. im sure we will know soon enough and in the meantime lets see just how much the frosh can take advantage of the opportunity and help us keep winning games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom