Southerland situation... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Southerland situation...

This is not an issue involving last semester grades. It's not a case of someone sleeping at the wheel in academic support. Still 50/50 on his return.

Does it have anything to do with the prep school that James went to and the academic issue/investigation that school is under?

Does it have anything to do with the prep school that James went to and the academic issue/investigation that school is under?
I just tried to google Cardoza / Notre Dame and investigation and came up goose-egg. If there is a link you a going back to something happening in say 2008.

I just tried to google Cardoza / Notre Dame and investigation and came up goose-egg. If there is a link you a going back to something happening in say 2008.

Link

It seems odd (wishful thinking?) that something related to his prep school would take this long to come to light if it actually affected his eligibility now. If it was that strong of an issue, would it (gulp!) get messier and involve games he has played between his admission and now? As in forfeiture?

Another possibility came to mind...academics, not with his performance last semester, etc...could he have been involved in some type of cheating (incl plagiarizing) where he was "helping" somebody else?

I have no inside knowledge, but reading between the lines with the known info, something related to this investigation would make the most sense.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--ncaa-investigating-basketball-powerhouse-prep-school.html
Seems plausible. That could get ugly. Were there any other suspensions recently tied to this prep school? It would seem a little odd if James was the only irregularity unearthed.

Also I seem to remember a poster earlier in the year (1-1/2 mos ago, around the Jay Wright rumor time) that other team sites had a convo about a bombshell about to hit SU hoops.

Good point...and good question.
No, I wasn't- but the choice of engaging my student counselor was left entirely up to me, and I didn't have coaches or tutors looking over my shoulder.
Logically, one would think that having that extra support would make it MORE likely for an athlete to toe the line, as opposed to a hormone-addled kid like me.
Naively perhaps, I believe that "more is better". I had to do Summer Sessions twice to catch up and STILL graduated a 1/2 year late.
And, btw- there were numerous athletes taking Summer Sessions at SU, so yes...the onus remains on the athlete themselves. JMHO

I was worried you might be an ex athlete because I was hoping you were going to introduce me to Samantha Stevens someday.

Just a question for those who know but with all this AAU traveling stuff, how does this help high school kids academically? It just seems to me that there are going to be more and more problems with academics when they look back at their high school records.

Here are some major D1 players to go through Notre Dame Prep since 07:

07:
Michael Beasley- Kansas State
Jamine Peterson- Providence

08:
Terrence Jennings- Louisville
Kim English- Missouri

09:
Southerland
Sean Kilpatrick- Cincinnati

10:
Cleveland Melvin- DePaul

11:
Kheim Birch
Todd Mayo- Marquette

So even if that school gave him BS grades, they're going to punish a student-athlete who has taken classes at SU for 5 years, is a senior, and is on track to graduate? What?

07:

08:
Kim English- Missouri

09:
Southerland

10:
Cleveland Melvin- DePaul

11:
Kheim Birch
Todd Mayo- Marquette

Paul Harris. :oops:

07:

08:
Kim English- Missouri

09:
Southerland

10:
Cleveland Melvin- DePaul

11:
Kheim Birch
Todd Mayo- Marquette
So... why aren't Kilpatrick, Melvin, Birch and Mayo shut down right now as well? SU being extra cautious?

mayo did sit out earlier this yr (for academics) and has since been reinstated --

This makes sense. But like someone else said, James hasn't been there for 5 years and was cleared by the NCAA clearinghouse originally, so maybe we're keeping him out just in case.
If this is why James is out then the NCAA is a bigger joke than I thought. The NCAA clearinghouse would have cleared him prior to him ever playing at Syracuse. Then 4 years later in the middle of his senior year they change their mind? Complete move by the NCAA who is supposed to "look out" for the kids.

I feel like Bill Murray in the movie Groundhog Day. It's happening again.

"I wake up every day, right here, right in Punxsutawney, and it's always February 2nd, and there's nothing I can do about it."

So... why aren't Kilpatrick, Melvin, Birch and Mayo shut down right now as well? SU being extra cautious?
Scary thing is there is a bit of a "bad boy" tone to your list.

Per the Seth Davis info, I think we can safely rule out that this has anything to do with Notre Dame prep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom