Special Teams | Quick Hits | Syracusefan.com

Special Teams | Quick Hits

MadNY3

All American
Unfiltered thoughts:
  • Really disappointed by the Penn State-to-Cuse fan ratio in the building yesterday. And it will be worse for Notre Shame in 2014.

• This team did not play like a hard-nosed team that I was expecting. Except Dyshawn Davis, Bromley and Robert Welsh, who was motoring all darn day.

• The defense has two experienced DCs on staff (HCSS and Bullough) and our O has a 36-year-old rookie OC picking from completely different QBs and WRs that past the look test more than the speed test. The O will be a work in progress. We need to deal with that.
  • I like but don't love Allen. I think he'll be OK.
  • I expected a lot more Morris, especially if gameplans are going to rely on the run or plays that start horizontally with hopes of going vertically.
  • I was shocked and thrilled Kobena CAUGHT THAT BALL. Great pitch and catch.

• Biggest disappointment, bar none: special teams. A hard-nosed football team does not get fooled by a fake FG. It does not botch a long-snap to a punter. It does not take a delay-of-game penalty and run another punter on the field. It does not give up a big return to give the team 1st and 10 at its own 40 an it certainly does not consist of a horrible attempt of a 43-yard FG as we had. We need to win the specials game and we disappointed here other that KO coverage and Morris' two run backs.

• I will do my best this year not to post within three hours of a Syracuse game. This board is wacked out.

• Not a surprise yesterday. Just disappointed.

they werent fooled by the fake. they just failed to stop it. they played a safe call dropped the db into the hole, the end saw the fake but went to the kicker not the runner.. they ran a nice play and only needed a couple yards.

the took the delay on purpose and didnt switch kickers so psu didnt know what we were doing.

we gave up a couple returns. and missing a kick isnt special teams issues thats a plauye rissue

• Not a surprise yesterday. Just disappointed.

Bingo.

I'll quickly add that while I always expect us to win going away, I can live with a well-plaid game when sometimes we're on the losing end. The lack communication getting plays and personnel in yesterday was very frustrating. We seemed unprepared to be on that field yesterday.

Not sure how to put in words what I want to say, but here goes...

Shafer was all fire and brimstone sound bites all summer, which made me think that's all we/he had...and I was right.

In another universe millhouse and I are waiting for him to go all coors light commercial on us and I don't thnk we will have to wait long. But those were done by smart guys and it kind of made sense, his is going to be epic.

If u r a defensive HC, you need to make damn sure the O can run on its own.

Rex Ryan is rightfully taking heat for a number of reasons, and 1 of the most hysterical aspects is his lack of caring about the O, he admits to not only not going to meetings...but even watching it on the field. Granted he's an idiot, but I get what he means and is doing. Not everyone has a Parcells feel when it comes to assistants and in college it's tougher because u have to add recruiting in there. While I am by no means giving up, we may be in for a tough go here.

Marrone made mistakes but had a lot things under control based on his résumé, the resumes here are wanting.

Buckle up kids, 0-2 is a certainty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom