Spitt on Pitt Postgame... | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Spitt on Pitt Postgame...

Maybe this is just who Syracuse is. SU has to get a home run hire or risk sliding into deeper mediocrity and with the home run hire, they may leave when they become a hot name. This will not be an easy decision.

I have no problem for 6-6 (2-6) being being used as a metric to evaluate the HC. I do have a problem using that as a reason to extend a HC after 8 seasons. Or to put it another way, if you cannot make a Bowl consistently you will be fired. However, just making a Bowl doesn't guarantee you a job.

Five game losing streaks in back to back seasons is not ok. Getting trounced 3 games in a row, is not ok. Losing to bad teams at home is not ok.

Another factor is Dino's contract. If he had 3 years left, keeping Dino for 2024 makes some sense. But with only 1 year left? If you aren't willing to extend him 2 years, you should let him go. Extending him 2 years based off of the past 97 games seems like a huge mistake (or even based on just the last 25 games). Do you let him be HC as a lame duck? That seems worse than extending him.

We should also be taking who we play into account. If we end up a competitive 5-7 in 2025, that is a good season. Going 6-6 this year given how we played in that 5 game losing streak is NOT a good year. Just because 6-6 is Bowl eligible and better than 5-7 would not make this season better.

I think we are at a point where we need to buy into Dino for another 2-3 years or move on. I don't see how anyone watching the past 23 games (or 95 games) can feel like we should commit any longer to this. There is very little talent on O. We haven't had an O identity since 2018. So what exactly are we committing to? What is the plan? On top of that, the fan apathy seems to be at a low.

The choice seems inevitable. So why delay by kicking the can down to 2024 or 2025? How is that good for the program and retaining the fragile fanbase?

I don't think there is another P4 program who would even be considering bringing Dino back for an 9th year. So why is it even a question here?

What the future brings, nobody knows. However beating a Pitt team that tries to hurt its opponents players is awesome!

IMG_9879.jpeg

Watch and listen to Dino in his post-game yesterday. Talked about this would be the first team in 20 years to make back-to-back bowl games under the same coach. That comment plus others is all I needed to hear to know that he has not been told anything by JW about his future and is fighting his Ohana off to be retained.
Yesterday the Mana was strong. Can it continue

If we go 6-6 this year it is a step back from last season against a weaker schedule too. How can anyone see that as an achievement?

Installing that offense in a week was so risky, absolutely could have blown up in their faces. Great job by coaches and players alike for pulling it off.
I don’t agree that it was risky. The offense has been inept. What would blowing up in their faces look like? Just more bad offense. They needed to do something different and they did. Good for them. What choice did they have?

I'm not reading all of this.

If he finds a way to get this team to a bowl and they win said bowl, they have will have a hard time selling a termination. It's that simple and Brent Axe said as much in his post game podcast with Emily. It's a team with no depth and a school with poor resources. If you can make lemonade from this, your argument for staying grew a bit stronger.

Don't want to settle for a Fenway-type bowl. Win the last 2 games!

Whats wrong with the Fenway Bowl? Easy drive for the fanbase and in a cool part of the city not Chestnut Hill where there isn't a single bar or parking spot within 1-2 miles? I don't think we want to play a 6-6 team from a major conference either like the SEC or B1G Minny was too tough an opponent last year in all honesty AAC opponent is fine.

Fenway has good sightlines RF line runs directly along the field teams just have to share a sideline.

I don’t agree that it was risky. The offense has been inept. What would blowing up in their faces look like? Just more bad offense. They needed to do something different and they did. Good for them. What choice did they have?
Yesterday was the first time in a long time, that Syracuse actually dominated the line of scrimmage. Maybe the guys up front aren't the big problem, but the called plays have been.
Maybe the blocking schemes have been to sophisticated, simple sometimes is better.

Doesn’t every coach have at least one year remaining on their contract? Every AD has to deal with that if they’re thinking about a coaching change.

Yesterday was the first time in a long time, that Syracuse actually dominated the line of scrimmage. Maybe the guys up front aren't the big problem, but the called plays have been.
Maybe the blocking schemes have been to sophisticated, simple sometimes is better.
Definitely makes you wonder. Although completely pulling pass blocking out of the equation does change things a bit.

If he finds a way to get this team to a bowl and they win said bowl, they have will have a hard time selling a termination. It's that simple and Brent Axe said as much in his post game podcast with Emily. It's a team with no depth and a school with poor resources. If you can make lemonade from this, your argument for staying grew a bit stronger.

Going from 7-5 last year to 6-6 this year with an easier schedule while also having 3 national TV blowouts can be sold. That is a step in the wrong direction. Having back to back seasons with 5 game losing streaks can be sold. Going 2-6 in conference with both Ws being over 1-7 teams can be sold. Having no returning talent on O next year can be sold. Not having a good recruiting class next year can be sold. Having no identity or real plan on O can be sold. Being 21-45 in ACC play can be sold. Being 42-55 overall can be sold. Fan apathy and weak home crowds can be sold.

That seems like a lot. Now do the other side. What can be sold to keep Dino? We made back to back Bowls. And then what? I cannot think of a single thing. Even if one came up with a few things, how does it offset that huge list of negatives?

Watch and listen to Dino in his post-game yesterday. Talked about this would be the first team in 20 years to make back-to-back bowl games under the same coach. That comment plus others is all I needed to hear to know that he has not been told anything by JW about his future and is fighting his Ohana off to be retained.

Not something I would be quick to point out if I was responsible for almost half of those 20 years without back to back bowls.

I'll pass along any other feedback you guys want next time we have quality time

Van Dyke is a likely "name" that keeps popping up here because we recruited him hard
Fwiw here’s a take on Van Dyke from a huge Miami fan buddy of mine

Attachments

• IMG_2670.jpeg
    IMG_2670.jpeg
    251.2 KB · Views: 56
So you're saying it's "dumb" to to ignore eight years of mostly losing, often incompetent, embarrassing, undisciplined, poorly executed - particularly on the offensive side - football because the same "offensive guru" Coach who oversaw the eight years of mediocrity backslides his team into two lower tier bowls by beating the Sisters of The Poor and the dregs of the ACC?

You're saying staying with - and extending - THAT guy is what? "Smart?"

And btw, I can't speak for others but I'm not having a tantrum, my man. I thoroughly enjoyed the win yesterday, and hope the team gets a 6th or 7th win & a bowl game. And then I'd like to see Dino Babers "retire" or be let go and replaced with a better Head Coach.

I've seen 8 years of Babers' coaching and I'm convinced Syracuse can do better - that there are better coaching options available. I've seen Dino's best and imho, his best is not good enough to lead a program committed to WINNING - as Wildhack professes to be, so it's time to upgrade the position. Seems like the logical or the "smart" long-term play to me but hey, whadda I know? It's ultimately JW's call to make. We shall soon see.
Again with the quotes

I didn't care if they fire him. i just never expected wildhack to do it while having a chance at a bowl.

I don't think it is the dumbest thing to keep him

I think people who think keeping him is the dumbest thing are themselves being extremely dumb.

Some of those people actually do have brains in their head but they're way too overheated

Again with the quotes

I didn't care if they fire him. i just never expected wildhack to do it while having a chance at a bowl.

I think people who think keeping him is the dumbest thing are themselves being extremely dumb.

Some of those people actually do have brains in their head but they're way too overheated
Okay, whatever, "Genius."

Generous to give the offense credit for the pick 6.
yeah, that's right. we agree that the ultimate meathead game is ordinary which is why we shouldn't use that as a template for anything. it was fun and goofy and kinda like mcnabb playing center against georgetown. fun while it lasted and please don't do that again

Again with the quotes

What are the positives to bringing Dino back? Do they outweigh the negatives? What is Dino's plan for the program? He doesn't seem to have one. How is the talent level?

If Dino had 3 years left on his contract what you use to evaluate him changes. I don't think SU should eat $12M if he goes 6-6 this year. But with one year left you are in a extend or move on scenario. And in no way what so ever after the last 23 games do you extend. And that is ignoring the 72 games prior.

What are the reasons for bringing Dino back in 2024? Making a Bowl for going 2-6 in a weak ACC? That is reason to keep him with only one year left on his contract?

Not something I would be quick to point out if I was responsible for almost half of those 20 years without back to back bowls.
2022 was his 7th year.

2000 through 2022 is 23 seasons. He had seven of them.

that's almost a third.

i guess almost a third is almost half when you're upset.

We saw yesterday who the current best athlete/impact player is on the team, yet yesterday was the first time we've featured him in any capacity.
I’m trying to be positive this weekend, but that’s been on my mind too.

19 catches and 2 rushes in 9 games prior to yesterday. Guess we’ve been saving him?

Selling to whom?

The fans want him gone.

Our “boosters”? The media (who doesn’t give a rats patootie about us and will talk about his firing for roughly 3.6 seconds)?

Maybe this is just who Syracuse is. SU has to get a home run hire or risk sliding into deeper mediocrity and with the home run hire, they may leave when they become a hot name. This will not be an easy decision.
If they leave, that means they most likely have been successful as SU which we haven’t been in a long long time.

What are the positives to bringing Dino back? Do they outweigh the negatives? What is Dino's plan for the program? He doesn't seem to have one. How is the talent level?

If Dino had 3 years left on his contract what you use to evaluate him changes. I don't think SU should eat $12M if he goes 6-6 this year. But with one year left you are in a extend or move on scenario. And in no way what so ever after the last 23 games do you extend. And that is ignoring the 72 games prior.

What are the reasons for bringing Dino back in 2024? Making a Bowl for going 2-6 in a weak ACC? That is reason to keep him with only one year left on his contract?
I don't blame you for wanting wildhack to fire him. I really don't care if they do or don't. I just think the anger management society is not considering Wildhack's incentives to avoid national media criticism for firing a black man who has had moderately success at lowly Syracuse (as they see it)

Selling to whom?

The fans want him gone.

Our “boosters”? The media (who doesn’t give a rats patootie about us and will talk about his firing for roughly 3.6 seconds)?
We have already heard from people with an axe to grind about Wildhack (who I agree have sour grapes)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom