Spitt on Pitt Postgame... | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Spitt on Pitt Postgame...

Well, when you've your superior (leadership) state publicly that "the goal is getting to a bowl" the bar is rather low in regards to 'achievements.' There's no doubt, ADJW short-sidedly backed himself right into that proverbial corner with his own words/doing.
I agree but it doesn't mean he has to stay in that corner.

I agree but it doesn't mean he has to stay in that corner.
Nobody puts Babers in a corner. (Sorry, I couldn’t help myself.)

48756C30-2BE6-43B0-8C85-FBE33AE0E765.gif

Did he say make a Bowl and keep your job forever? I don't recall that. Saying at a minimum we would expect a Bowl does not mean make a Bowl and you are safe. It means you better at least make a Bowl. At least is the key here.

Forever, of course not. As expected, he's been pretty tight lipped on this front, which is prudent for someone in his position. One can only assess what he actually stated, and that was; "the goal is to get to a bowl" or along those lines.

Of course, anyone is also free to interpret what his remarks may have meant from a broader perspective, however IMO, at least the way in which he implied at the time, that that goal of making a bowl is first and foremost.

Last edited:
In-season, I agree. But post-season, race should have absolutely nothing to do with whatever decision JW ultimately makes on DB. He should be judged solely on the merits of his coaching performance.
Agree. People here freaked out that it didn't happen Monday. I think it's idiotic to jump the gun there. I forget exactly what wildhack said about his expectations for making bowls but you can't talk about bowls and fire sometime who still can do it

Yes, Villari sure made it an unbelievably fun day up in da Bronx yesterday. On a few of those runs, with tacklers draped all over him it brought back memories of the great Mark Bavaro run vs the 49ers back in the day. And those who attended really got a trifecta -- great pre-game (which a 3:30pm kickoff accommodates well), super November weather, and a fantastic win!

Forever, of course not. As expected, he's been pretty tight lipped on this front, which is prudent for someone in his position. One can only assess what he actually stated, and that was; "the goal is to get to a bowl" or along those lines.

Of course, anyone is also free to interpret what his remarks may have meant from a broader perspective, however IMO, at least the way in which he implied at the time, that that goal of making a bowl is first and foremost.
Or along those lines leaves a lot of room. If he didn’t say making a Bowl is all that is needed then what is the fuss?

I was barely interested in watching any more games. I'm rather interested in the next two, now. Those Oline guys are on scholly, too. So are Lequint and Villari. I'm terribly impressed with Villari's running vision, and his obvious desire to win. The move to TE would indicate that he's not the best option for passing. But that's a possible wrinkle,too.

Shrader was moved to wide receiver by Mike Leach at Miss St because he was behind others at QB so he portaled and came here to play QB and took Devito's job.

Villari was recruited by Michigan for QB but couldn't beat out JJ McCarthy. If he winds up being our best #2 at QB, what is Dino and the staff doing in identifying talent and putting them in a position to succeed? Dino is the same HC that figured out, by accident, that Sean Tucker was not only our best RB, but the best back we've had in a generation.

This is a good re-read on Villari:

Dan Villari’s position change required a shift from ‘quarterback tough’ to ‘football tough’

Over two years as the starting quarterback at Plainridge High School in North Massapequa he passed for 1,306 yards and rushed for 1,522 yards. His team went 23-1 and won a state title his senior year.

After signing with Michigan, Villari found himself trailing the competition again. Stuck on the depth chart behind Michigan’s J.J. McCarthy, his odds of catching up seemed minimal.

He transferred to Syracuse, seeking a better road to playing time. Instead, he found himself in the same position he left. He was beaten out by incumbant starter Garrett Shrader.

Long story short, Villari may well have been our best #2 QB all along... Or maybe even number 1?? I mean Shrader coming out and saying he can't throw due to his injury recovery and it's a known issue that 2 years are needed to get pain-free range of motion back on his injury... How the hell did our head coach not know this, this far into the season and why were we forcing him to throw when he couldn't?? Reason #498 why Babers should not be coaching this team... Villari may be our best QB at this point and it would be fitting that Dino took this long to figure it out.

Three things I hope are happening this week:

1. Continue Villari with wildcat reps but work in traditional sets as well (see 2)

2. Get Villari significant reps in some type of scaled-back, simpler traditional offense that uses running and passing, including passing downfield ( even if just short passes and bubbles) and see if he can shake the rust off and deliver the ball consistently. I hope he can. We'll need something to switch to if the wildcat isn't working and the cat's out of the bag on that. Our opponents will have a week to prep for it (unlike Pitt.)

3. Ball protection fundamentals... No more fumbles.

Last edited:
Shrader was moved to wide receiver by Mike Leach at Miss St because he was behind others at QB so he portaled and came here to play QB and took Devito's job.

Villari was recruited by Michigan for QB but couldn't beat out JJ McCarthy. If he winds up being our best #2 at QB, what is Dino and the staff doing in identifying talent and putting them in a position to succeed? Dino is the same HC that figured out, by accident, that Sean Tucker was not only our best RB, but the best back we've had in a generation.

Dan Villari’s position change required a shift from ‘quarterback tough’ to ‘football tough’

Long story short, Villari may well have been our best #2 QB all along... Or maybe even number 1?? I mean Shrader coming out and saying he can't throw due to his injury recovery and it's a known issue that 2 years are needed to get ain free range of motion back on the injury... How the hell didn't our coach not know this, this far into the season and why were we forcing him to throw when he couldn't?? Reason #498 why Babers should not be coaching this team... Villari may be our best QB at this point and it would be fitting that Dino took this long to figure it out.

1. Continue Villari with wildcat reps but work in traditional sets as well (see 2)

2. Get Villari significant reps in some type of scaled-back, simpler traditional offense that uses running and passing, including passing downfield ( even if just short passes and bubbles) and see if he can shake the rust off and deliver the ball consistently. I hope he can. We'll need something to switch to if the wildcat isn't working and the cat's out of the bag on that. Our opponents will have a week to prep for it (unlike Pitt.)

I'm very skeptical of any high school QBs who runs for more than he throws. You better be Vick or something

I'm very skeptical of any high school QBs who runs for more than he throws. You better be Vick or something

...or you are such a beast you run over and through defenders. That looks like what we have in Villari.

That is a recipe for injury at this level, but I could see him absolutely punishing high school defenders on the run.

Also, given what we saw with CDRW, I don't see how Villari isn't at least worth a try in traditional QB sets at this point. We're going to have to do something if/when the wildcat stops working.

Agree. People here freaked out that it didn't happen Monday. I think it's idiotic to jump the gun there. I forget exactly what wildhack said about his expectations for making bowls but you can't talk about bowls and fire sometime who still can do it
I see the logic in that. But I also see the other side of the coin that argued by firing him NOW (well, after BC at the time) you'd be firing a losing coach (4-5) after yet ANOTHER humiliating loss on National TV. So there'd be no bad (meaningful) PR blow-back from that as the firing could be spun as "an institutional commitment to winning" that wasn't met or something like that. And then ADJW could've gotten a head start on his coaching search.

But at the end of the day, ADJW is gonna do whatever he's going to do and we'll find out soon enough. Until then, let's just keep winning.

Long story short, Villari may well have been our best #2 QB all along... Or maybe even number 1?? I mean Shrader coming out and saying he can't throw due to his injury recovery and it's a known issue that 2 years are needed to get pain-free range of motion back on his injury... How the hell did our head coach not know this, this far into the season and why were we forcing him to throw when he couldn't?? Reason #498 why Babers should not be coaching this team... Villari may be our best QB at this point and it would be fitting that Dino took this long to figure it out.

Yeah I don’t know about best QB or anything like that compared to a broken winged Shrader.

What I do know is that Villari is an animal in open space and the fact that he wasn’t targeted more once OG went down still baffles me.

It seems the only time we consistently target a TE is when we rebrand a receiver as a TE but still play him like a receiver lol.

While I suspect CDRW was ahead of Villari at QB? The staff recognized Villari needed to be on the field.

It would certainly be a nice wrinkle, if he threw some balls. At this point, he may be the healthiest QB, on the roster. Again. I was very impressed with his running vision, and then he made them miss. What a welcome treat after 5 weeks of misery. Next weeks game plan will be interesting.

He didn’t find Tucker by accident. He was a true frosh behind others who then got hurt. You talk like he couldn’t recognize Tuckers talent. And Villari was moved to TE because he’s not a passer. Like Dino said yesterday he has a chance at being an NFL TE.

He didn’t find Tucker by accident. He was a true frosh behind others who then got hurt. You talk like he couldn’t recognize Tuckers talent. And Villari was moved to TE because he’s not a passer. Like Dino said yesterday he has a chance at being an NFL TE.
Most of what I think Dino says at this point is a bunch of gobbledygook but the comment on Villari is true. Kid has had NFL athleticism since he step foot on campus. Took him some time to learn a new position and put it together but I’m really disappointed he wasn’t used more as a down field receiving threat this year. Although after this last game maybe ball security has been an issue he’s still trying to overcome.

Yesterday was the first time in a long time, that Syracuse actually dominated the line of scrimmage. Maybe the guys up front aren't the big problem, but the called plays have been.
Maybe the blocking schemes have been to sophisticated, simple sometimes is better.
Yes, and as Dino likes movie references how about "less Dr. Bruce Banner, and more 'Hulk. Smash!"

Yes, I question Dino's ability to assess talent. It was clear once Tucker came in that he was a very special talent. Did he not look that in practice? Was he even getting any reps to know??

As for Villari, how is he going to be an NFL tight end if no one can throw him a ball and advertise his skill? I am sure he hopes someone could. He's our QB now anyways, since we have no one else that can play the position at a basic, serviceable level... so moot point until we get a QB that can.

2022 was his 7th year.

2000 through 2022 is 23 seasons. He had seven of them.

that's almost a third.

i guess almost a third is almost half when you're upset.

Dino counted this year and so did I. 7 years is over 1/3 and this year would be 40% if you insist on nitpicking. Either way he was responsible for the majority of years of failing to make a bowl during that period. So what's your point?

Last edited:
Yes, I question Dino's ability to assess talent. It was clear once Tucker came in that he was a very special talent. Did he not look that in practice? Was he even getting any reps to know??

As for Villari, how is he going to be an NFL tight end if no one can throw him a ball and advertise his skill? I am sure he hopes someone could. He's our QB now anyways, since we have no one else that can play the position at a basic, serviceable level... so moot point until we get a QB that can.
Didn't Tucker become the starter as a true freshman? Who cares where he was in the spring

JJ's doing OK at Louisville but he hardly saw the field here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom