Spring Football starts March 30 | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Football starts March 30

Lol comparing it to the super league's collapse is quite a stretch. If every single person that's complaining about this cancels their season tickets for next year they'd lose maybe 50-100 seats.

There is such limited demand for this game its incredible. Of course the fans matter, and getting fans in for the real games are important. But to broadcast the spring game on the ACC Network/open up the dome so 500-1000 fans can watch it is losing far more money than it's bringing in.

I'm a huge fan of the program but the spring game does nothing for me. The highlights are all I need to see.

Also, do you not think 500 people at a spring game is bad for recruiting? Definitely doesn't impress any visiting recruits.
You make good points that people dont want to acknowledge because they are angry.

You make good points that people dont want to acknowledge because they are angry.
I also wonder if Dino was very unhappy with the way the team culture evolved last year, and he wants them sequestered to get focus back. I still feel like there was something stinky going on internally last year, unquantifiable from the outside but detectable nonetheless. The way things unfolded with the COVID protocols, people opting out, etc. seemed "off" to me and I have said so at least once.

That doesn't explain how everyone else is playing AND allowing reporting access, updating their rosters etc etc. And B) "probably" ? you don't even know, you're just guessing. I highly doubt covid testing cost that much either. little rinky dink D3 schools are administering covid testing as well. I highly doubt schools with endowments of 15 million dollars are paying millions in covid testing. I get that life shut down in NY but the excuses have zero to do with spring football or spring football access.
It’s over 100k a month for the AD.

I also wonder if Dino was very unhappy with the way the team culture evolved last year, and he wants them sequestered to get focus back. I still feel like there was something stinky going on internally last year, unquantifiable from the outside but detectable nonetheless. The way things unfolded with the COVID protocols, people opting out, etc. seemed "off" to me and I have said so at least once.
Unfortunately the catalyst of the bad team chemistry, Taj Harris, is still around.

Something had to happen. Has to be more to why he is doing this. Again, its not right. It sucks as a fan but from a culture and focus stand point I can see why a coach might feel his team could benefit from this.

Something had to happen. Has to be more to why he is doing this. Again, its not right. It sucks as a fan but from a culture and focus stand point I can see why a coach might feel his team could benefit from this.

Could also be carryover from 2019. Weren't there rumors that the team was unfocused during parts of that season?

I would like information like every one else but it’s not going to happen. Here is my vision of the conversation between HCDB and JW prior to spring. (Not based on any personal information only a guess on my part)
JW - HCDB what are your thoughts of a spring game or access to spring practice?
HCDB - With the new staff and lack of a spring season we need complete focus without distractions. My job is on the line and I need to do this my way.
JW - I agree.

I would like information like every one else but it’s not going to happen. Here is my vision of the conversation between HCDB and JW prior to spring. (Not based on any personal information only a guess on my part)
JW - HCDB what are your thoughts of a spring game or access to spring practice?
HCDB - With the new staff and lack of a spring season we need complete focus without distractions. My job is on the line and I need to do this my way.
JW - I agree.
With all due respect, your hypothetical conversations lack the the spice of my hypothetical conversations.

Could also be carryover from 2019. Weren't there rumors that the team was unfocused during parts of that season?

That rumor was spread by Dino before the 2nd game of the year.

He said something in an interview during the week leading up to the Maryland game.

I wasn't making "excuses" for anyone, and I wasn't linking SU's losses with Dino's media blackout. That's your surmise. As you can see from the board, we're all hoping for more access and information. But the fact remains that, with gross revenues exceeding $100M (mostly from FB and BB ticket revenue), losing an entire season of FB and basketball attendance, with the same costs ($80 - $90 M) and only a fraction of STH's "donating" their ticket costs (I was one of them), easily put them in the red by multi-millions and probably > ten million.

The covid tests are also not cheap - remember that SU not only did thousands of individual (probably rapid saliva) surveillance tests, they were also conducting constant pool testing as well. The latter was across campus but the costs add up quickly. SU spent $1 million, alone, on its own lab to increase testing frequency.

the ACC TV money didn't change. Obviously home game revenue was nil and mostly that is on the state government and some of that is on Syracuse as ACC basketball started allowing some fans while Syracuse chose not to. Sure that’s a drop in the bucket, However, Syracuse probably applied for and received government stimulus to make up for the loss of sports revenues (and testing costs). Tuition didn't change and the number of students probably didn't change much either. (just guessing).

this little rinky dink school in Boston does their own student testing with their on lab. 2100 students. Half the cost of Syracuse. Endowment 44 million.

Last edited:
I think a part of the calculation is that when we open the dome back up, allowing fans for the first time since the new roof and lighting and after a pandemic where ppl couldn’t gather in groups indoors - that people will want to come.

They could do more around the edges - show us a scrimmage from last week, edited with Dino’s opinion on what to show and what not to. Have him do a film review where he picks some clips, shoots the sheet with his OC and DC.

I just want to hear that half the offensive line didn't finish Spring practice on scooters.
yep - seems dangerous

1619207535400.png

the ACC TV money didn't change. Obviously home game revenue was nil and mostly that is on the state government and some of that is on Syracuse as ACC basketball started allowing some fans while Syracuse chose not to. Granted I admit that is a drop in the bucket. However, Syracuse probably applied for and received government stimulus to make up for the loss of sports revenues (and testing costs). Tuition didn't change and the number of students probably didn't change much either. (just guessing).

this little rinky dink school in Boston does their own student testing with their on lab. 2100 students. Half the cost of Syracuse. Endowment 44 million.

He still wasn’t that far off on the costs of the tests.
The Broad Institute is actually doing the testing for Lassell.

The bottom line is that what Syracuse has done each and every spring under Dino is way below standard practice for a P5 school. It's unacceptable.

I wasn't expecting much this year, honestly ...but I wasn't expecting virtually nothing either. Syracuse has done virtually nothing for fans this spring, except for an exclusive for season ticket holders. Literally doing anything would be an improvement over what they are not doing now

The school is probably hemorrhaging money. They're not going to open up the Dome for a meaningless spring game. An open Dome is costing them money when there's only going to be 500 people there IF that. Also, you have to have proof of vaccination or a negative covid test 72 hours before the game in NY, which is even more of an impediment.

Do I think it would be nice if they broadcasted it? Sure. But some of you are massively overreacting here. I'm sure we'll get a post-spring depth chart. I'm sure there will be some spring game highlights.

I'm sure once we're out of a GLOBAL PANDEMIC, things will return to normal...
I’m not sure anyone here is “massively overreacting”. We would like maybe a 2021 spring roster?

You say you’re sure he’ll put out a post-spring depth chart. Are you positive? Nothing really points that he’s going to release anything until the week of the Ohio game

I’m not sure anyone here is “massively overreacting”. We would like maybe a 2021 spring roster?

You say you’re sure he’ll put out a post-spring depth chart. Are you positive? Nothing really points that he’s going to release anything until the week of the Ohio game
Yes, I don’t see a massive overaction. Just some mild sadness and disappointment.

I did bother to check to see how common it is to not have a 2021 roster out by now.

We are the only team in the ACC with no 2021 roster.

I also checked Rutgers, UConn, UB, Wagner, Penn State and Ohio State.

They all have 2021 rosters out too.

I can’t find another college football program with no 2021 roster. I believe we are the last in the country to get to this task.

Yes, I don’t see a massive overaction. Just some mild sadness and disappointment.

I did bother to check to see how common it is to not have a 2021 roster out by now.

I can’t find another college football program with no 2021 roster. I believe we are the last in the country to get to this task.
It’s getting to the point where it’s just silly and reflects poorly on the program.

SU also received a $30 million federal handout. That should more than cover their costs. I’m getting tired of all their excuses and Dino’s paranoia. This program is being run half-assed and the AD is allowing it to happen.

They posted a practice tweet 4 hours ago. No one has even bothered to post it. How's that for fan interest?

(They didnt bother posting anything on IG like they normally do, either)

Haven't most or all of those schools concluded Spring practice/had their Spring game. Seems that if they have they would have 2021 rosters. Maybe the staff is just waiting until the end of Spring practice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom