Spring Football starts March 30 | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Football starts March 30

If JW thought he could open the dome fully this fall I think you would see more reaching out to the fans. I think at best they will allow 50% occupied. I have no problem with fans wanting a spring game and honestly kinda strange for people on a fan board to say fans are not being reasonable when every other ACC fanbase is getting some sort of Spring experience seemingly. No one is asking for dinner at Dinos house or something strange and news flash you don't have to have the scrimmage in the Dome. I have no issue not having a depth chart yet. It would be nice to have an updated roster. I would have enjoyed taking my son to a Spring game. I would be plenty happy just watching an outdoor practice to watch the new coaches and players. Oh well...it also is what it is. Yeah also I don't think Dino is being secretive. I think Dino is circling the wagons...doesn't want any distractions and is running a tight ship. I can see why he might do that.

If JW thought he could open the dome fully this fall I think you would see more reaching out to the fans. I think at best they will allow 50% occupied. I have no problem with fans wanting a spring game and honestly kinda strange for people on a fan board to say fans are not being reasonable when every other ACC fanbase is getting some sort of Spring experience seemingly. No one is asking for dinner at Dinos house or something strange and news flash you don't have to have the scrimmage in the Dome. I have no issue not having a depth chart yet. It would be nice to have an updated roster. I would have enjoyed taking my son to a Spring game. I would be plenty happy just watching an outdoor practice to watch the new coaches and players. Oh well...it also is what it is. Yeah also I don't think Dino is being secretive. I think Dino is circling the wagons...doesn't want any distractions and is running a tight ship. I can see why he might do that.
I actually would like that-Is that pushing it?

I actually would like that-Is that pushing it?
Lol...well sure who wouldn't want a barbecue with Dino? To answer your question if it's part of a marketing event win a barbecue with Dino kinda thing...then no. If suddenly you sit down next to him after jumping his fence and are like "Dino broskie, toss me a beer and pass the burger plate" then...yes? Just spitballing here of course.

i am thrilled that dino is saying nothing. no coach speak, none of his "sayings". etc etc etc. i wish us and him luck.---keep quiet until kickoff.

We are hemorrhaging money and one thing to keep in mind is that we are a private school. Many of our “peers” are state schools.
Does that matter when the athletics budgets are separate from the rest of the institutions' budgets? Most teams don't charge for attendance, so the state schools aren't generating revenue.

Last edited:
Another 1-10 and Dino can kiss his career goodbye. He is doing what he believes is necessary to right the ship. After last years Gerg impression i dont care what he does as long as he wins.
I don’t think that would kill his career. He’s been around too long and has built a lot of relationships. His HC career at the P5 level, probably. But he’s old. Wonder if he even cares.

but yeah, every move since last year has been pointed in the right direction. He’s not got his head in the sand and I doubt this radio silence is separate from a strategy. We’ll see if it works.

Have there been any public statements made like "in preparation for the upcoming season the team has decided to limit distractions and focus on improving, so we're limiting what is shared with the media at this time" or anything like that?

Have there been any public statements made like "in preparation for the upcoming season the team has decided to limit distractions and focus on improving, so we're limiting what is shared with the media at this time" or anything like that?
Workplace Distancing Guidance and Protocols - Human Resources – Syracuse University

• Limit the presence of non-essential visitors, require all visitors to your area to wear a face mask or covering, and make hand sanitizer available. Note that any individual accessing our campus, including visitors and contractors, is expected to abide by the same health and safety guidance as faculty and staff.
Evidently the media are non-essential visitors. ;)

Workplace Distancing Guidance and Protocols - Human Resources – Syracuse University

• Limit the presence of non-essential visitors, require all visitors to your area to wear a face mask or covering, and make hand sanitizer available. Note that any individual accessing our campus, including visitors and contractors, is expected to abide by the same health and safety guidance as faculty and staff.
Evidently the media are non-essential visitors. ;)
Well that part's obvious.

Oh I figured.

I know we only won 1 game last year but is the program that broken that they can’t give out a 2021 spring roster?
DFB & co know the deal with local fans by now. A core group will stay on board regardless. The rest are bandwagoners. It matters squat what they are doing for fan outreach at this point. IMO. The core fans will be interested in football for real in late summer, and the bandwagoners will start to pay attention midway through the season if we’re good. All this kvetching about rosters and practice reports is ridiculous, IMO.

They need to sell to recruits. This program is not well supported by an invested fan base. They need to focus on recruiting and team improvement and not waste time on things that won't materially improve the program. I don't care what other teams are doing, I don't care how many of our hardcore fans feel put out or miffed, it's all noise and blather.

DFB & co know the deal with local fans by now. A core group will stay on board regardless. The rest are bandwagoners. It matters squat what they are doing for fan outreach at this point. IMO. The core fans will be interested in football for real in late summer, and the bandwagoners will start to pay attention midway through the season if we’re good. All this kvetching about rosters and practice reports is ridiculous, IMO.

They need to sell to recruits. This program is not well supported by an invested fan base. They need to focus on recruiting and team improvement and not waste time on things that won't materially improve the program. I don't care what other teams are doing, I don't care how many of our hardcore fans feel put out or miffed, it's all noise and blather.
There is definitely truth in this. People in this forum and others will always watch SU football regardless. There are only so many die hard fans. Fan support has been a 15 year problem. Dino is not helping it but he didnt create it.

I agree that we’ll all be there regardless and that the casual fan will pick up in the fall

But for all the talk in his one presser that last season was last season and they’ve moved on he hasn’t really turned the page and put a new spring roster

Is a spring roster going to send us to a bowl game? No, but not putting one is weird since he did it the year we won 10 games so what’s his excuse this year?

Dino looked disconnected and apathetic at times last year and didn’t look like he has in the past. I like Dino and think he should be given time but something seems off

I agree that we’ll all be there regardless and that the casual fan will pick up in the fall

But for all the talk in his one presser that last season was last season and they’ve moved on he hasn’t really turned the page and put a new spring roster

Is a spring roster going to send us to a bowl game? No, but not putting one is weird since he did it the year we won 10 games so what’s his excuse this year?

Dino looked disconnected and apathetic at times last year and didn’t look like he has in the past. I like Dino and think he should be given time but something seems off
Both those comments are your own gloss/take on the situation. Hasn't turned the page? How do you know that? Jeez, what a comment.

Excuse? LOL. Sure, let's make sure he provides you an "excuse" right quick.

Both those comments are your own gloss/take on the situation. Hasn't turned the page? How do you know that? Jeez, what a comment.

Excuse? LOL. Sure, let's make sure he provides you an "excuse" right quick.
Yes of course those are my takes on the situation, I’m not quoting anyone

Why do I think it looks like the page isn’t turned? Because when one goes to the roster is says Cisco, Iffy and Trill are on the team

I’m not saying I demand answers lol. I’m questioning why when he put one out and won 10 games what’s so different this year. It might be a little thing but it might point to larger

Yes of course those are my takes on the situation, I’m not quoting anyone

Why do I think it looks like the page isn’t turned? Because when one goes to the roster is says Cisco, Iffy and Trill are on the team

I’m not saying I demand answers lol. I’m questioning why when he put one out and won 10 games what’s so different this year. It might be a little thing but it might point to larger
I dont think it says anything about him turning a page. My personal opinion is that there is some roster attrition that he's not ready to talk about or explain. Maybe he thinks it will bring negative media attention? Im just guessing.

I dont think it says anything about him turning a page. My personal opinion is that there is some roster attrition that he's not ready to talk about or explain. Maybe he thinks it will bring negative media attention? Im just guessing.
Thanks, that totally makes sense.

I didn’t think about as I just assumed everything was good “in house” but maybe he’s also doing some tough love this spring and expects some players to transfer because of it

We have actually seen a slow trickle this spring, so that makes sense.

Wonder how many more we have leaving, and if there are any more from the 2 deep.

Also, my guess is there is only about 50% of the starters who the staff has penciled in. They probably prefer not having to put a #1 or deal with an ‘or’ etc.

For fun, here are the players I think have a starting role and position locked up. I left out some obvious starters only because I am not sure the staff knows what position they will start at (though they are definitely #1s)

Berg
Dakota
Bleich
Benson
Tucker
Q
Harris

Black
Bear
KJ
Carter
Coley
GWill

PLAYERS WHO WILL START BUT EXACT POSITION UNKNOWN
Mikel
Servais
Thompson

Thanks, that totally makes sense.

I didn’t think about as I just assumed everything was good “in house” but maybe he’s also doing some tough love this spring and expects some players to transfer because of it
There will be names not on my depth chart update that are on there now. I don’t know who, but I expect some.

Wonder how many more we have leaving, and if there are any more from the 2 deep.

Also, my guess is there is only about 50% of the starters who the staff has penciled in. They probably prefer not having to put a #1 or deal with an ‘or’ etc.

For fun, here are the players I think have a starting role and position locked up. I left out some obvious starters only because I am not sure the staff knows what position they will start at (though they are definitely #1s)

Berg
Dakota
Bleich
Benson
Tucker
Q
Harris

Black
Bear
KJ
Carter
Coley
GWill

Mikel
Servais
Thompson
Agree with that, think GCA, Jones, and Thompson are locked in at lb.

5th Ol, 3rd Wr are what’s open open on offense. qb is one guy or the other

I do not think DB puts out a depth chart or announce starters until they take the field for the first game. Does not want a qb controversy and also wants the players to keep pushing each other through the summer and camp.

If it's all noise, then your opinion, itself, is noise. As long as you're ok with that. :cool:

Berg
Dakota
Bleich
Benson
Tucker
Q
Harris

Black
Bear
KJ
Carter
Coley
GWill

Mikel
Servais
Thompson
Good thoughts. Im with you on those. Im just not absolutely positive Coley will start. I think he plays some regardless.

I do not think DB puts out a depth chart or announce starters until they take the field for the first game. Does not want a qb controversy and also wants the players to keep pushing each other through the summer and camp.
A depth chart now doesn't mean much. It's the depth chart after the Fall camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom