SS as a person | Syracusefan.com

SS as a person

sufan

Scout Team
Curious to hear views of SS as a person, up close, based on actual experience.
From Syracuse.com article on Allen's decision

"After making his decision, Allen said he talked with new SU head coach Scott Shafer. He said Shafer was understanding and wished him the best."

“He really helped me through all of this,” Allen said. “I wish him the best of luck. He was one of the classiest guys throughout this whole thing.”

After watching the SS press conference, I've had mixed feelings:

Some of His comments: (article originally cited by Orangeyes)

- "I envision an Orange Crush defense that makes their opponent's families cringe when their child's team comes to play us."

- "I want guys who want to play for us...All those [SU recruits] who are wavering, they just better make a decision to go to a place where they're not gonna play us."

- "We want to put the fear God in the opposing football player that has the football under his arm."

- "We're gonna go to the damn ACC and we're gonna storm that conference and do better than people think we are in Year One."

-----------------

Sorry: these comments sound like someone at an age 10 emotional level.

That stuff might go over well in the locker room, but is that what parents of recruits want to hear?

To me the difference in demeanor between SS and DM and NH is huge.

DM seemed to conduct himself in public as an adult: a steady demeanor. There was a recent video that Orangeyes cited of NH being interviewed about the Bills job: he was extremely poised, had a smile in his eyes, talked knowledgably and enthusiastically about his love of the game.

The SS press conference makes me wonder whether Dr Gross appointed a hyperactive nutball as the public face of SU football.
I also watched a video of the new DC , SS's great buddy, who was at UCLA before being fired; he also sounded like someone who is extremely demanding and over the top: I certainly didn't get the sense that it would be fun to play defense with him as coach.

Thus, I found the comment above by Allen to be interesting;
it's been widely said that players like playing for SS; I personally like the unpredictable, attacking style of the defence; Dave R among others supports SS.

Curious to hear views of others of SS as a person based on actual experience.

I think HCSS passion will go a long way with the fans. It's easy for the fan base to rally around a fiery leader. I hope that part works.

It's his first head coaching job, and he's in a mess of a situation already. I'm not sure there was any right way to attack the situation, but going all-in with that kind of speech is probably what I would have done as well.

You think Marrone came off as an adult but Shafer came off "at an age 10 emotional level"???????

Shafer seems real, passionate, emotional and authentic. You know who else you could describe similarly?

Boeheim. Watch those press conferences.

I will take someone unafraid to be human and seemingly void of extensive media training, thank you very much. You call it acting like a 10-year old, I'll call it pretty damn cool.

You also can't take those quotes out of context -- in particular him prefacing the one about recruits not wanting to play SU by saying his wife wouldn't want him to say that. A couple of those were also in the context of his relationship with Harbaugh, who is known for his comical bombast: "I bow to no man or no program!"

Most sports fans are around age 10 emotionally when it comes to their favorite sports teams.

I think his comments did well to reach said fans (myself included).

Side note; I love fast paced, hard hitting football and actually prefered playing defense in HS. Any HS kid that see's the product he's put on the field along with the passion he has should be elated to play for him. His aggressive system looks like a blast to play in.

Football is a violent, physical game that has a huge mental component. If you can get into your opponents psyche with things like "orange crush defense" and "carrier dome lockdown" you do it. The reason is that you have already won some of the physical battles before they start. To me, his speech was coming from a guy confident in his and his team's abilities. Its not threats. Its not illegal. Its not dirty. Its playing the game the way its supposed to be played. You can deliver hard hits without trying to hurt people. That's why they have pads.

"After making his decision, Allen said he talked with new SU head coach Scott Shafer. He said Shafer was understanding and wished him the best."

“He really helped me through all of this,” Allen said. “I wish him the best of luck. He was one of the classiest guys throughout this whole thing.”

- "I envision an Orange Crush defense that makes their opponent's families cringe when their child's team comes to play us."

- "I want guys who want to play for us...All those [SU recruits] who are wavering, they just better make a decision to go to a place where they're not gonna play us."

- "We want to put the fear God in the opposing football player that has the football under his arm."

- "We're gonna go to the damn ACC and we're gonna storm that conference and do better than people think we are in Year One."

-----------------

That stuff might go over well in the locker room, but is that what parents of recruits want to hear?

DM seemed to conduct himself in public as an adult: a steady demeanor. There was a recent video that Orangeyes cited of NH being interviewed about the Bills job: he was extremely poised, had a smile in his eyes, talked knowledgably and enthusiastically about his love of the game.

The SS press conference makes me wonder whether Dr Gross appointed a hyperactive nutball as the public face of SU football.
I also watched a video of the new DC , SS's great buddy, who was at UCLA before being fired; he also sounded like someone who is extremely demanding and over the top: I certainly didn't get the sense that it would be fun to play defense with him as coach.

it's been widely said that players like playing for SS; I personally like the unpredictable, attacking style of the defence; Dave R among others supports SS.

Nothing wrong with his style at press-conferences as long as he knows when to turn it on and off. I saw that attitude with many commanders in the military. They took their jobs extremely seriously and wanted to portray that to the audience. Oftentimes these individuals were less excitable in behind the scenes interaction than others.

So much to comment on, but I will only add that Shafer is a really nice, down-to-earth guy. That is my own personal experience.

In fact, he would bitchslap you for calling him a 10 yr old.

Glad to hear you say "Shafer is a really nice, down to earth guy" from your own experience.

Not sure what you mean by your second comment, but if you are serious, yes that would confirm the impression I got from his press conference.

As a person that used to play defense ... I would play for him in a heartbeat

This is football not badminton. The thing that makes college superior to pros is the passion for the game. Syracuse is a blue collar city with a blue collar attitude. We don't drink tea with our pinkie out.

Plus, his main target audience is the 17 year old recruits. I could see them eating that stuff up. It doesn't matter as much if fans think it's over the top.
Most sports fans are around age 10 emotionally when it comes to their favorite sports teams.

I think his comments did well to reach said fans (myself included).

Side note; I love fast paced, hard hitting football and actually prefered playing defense in HS. Any HS kid that see's the product he's put on the field along with the passion he has should be elated to play for him. His aggressive system looks like a blast to play in.

-----------------

Here it is folks, the worst post in the long storied history of bad posts made by syracusefan denizens.

-----------------

That didn't take long.

Another correct prediction.

-----------------

worst post I've ever read on this board, maybe any board. Epic fail.

Going by what the state of the fan base was, and still is, I think his attitude and demeanor were needed.

If you have kids you know the deal - be demanding when you need to be, but balance it with caring for the human being. He also said at the presser that he learned a lot of that from DM.

Trust is built on this stuff. Plus he was respectful of coach Mac and the Syracuse history, takes the profession seriously (choked up about his Dad). I thought the press conference was a perfect blend of aggression smash-mouth football tall and respect for the game. Guys good.

The over the top political correctness in football today, from the rule changes to the coach-speak, is nauseating. Shafer's hard-nosed, smash-mouth press conference was the antiemetic I needed.

HCSS wants an aggressive team and fanbase, and you think that makes him a "hyperactive nutball"?

As IB said, he's a ing football coach.

-----------------

Jebus...SU fans will literally complain about ANYTHING (too calm, too emotional, too laid back, too over the top, and the list goes on)

Shafer is showing strong leadership skills here, actually. He is setting a standard for toughness and trying to build a sense of comraderie among players. Both of those things - teamwork and high standards - are necessary for success.

I just keep thinking of Dan Hawkins' famous rant, the one where he spoke in such a calm, rational manner, and then out of nowhere bellowed out, "IT'S DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL!"

I've got news for you - football coaches are all VERY intense people by nature. It just comes out in different ways. I had a good chat at the Coaches Clinic last year with Shafer, and he was very calm, engaging, and personable. You could tell, though, that the fire burns for this guy, which is great. Young players are very intuitive - they can judge right away whether or not a guy is a phony, or the real deal. Shafer is a very real guy, and the kids generally eat that up. They'll lay in front of a bus for a leader like that...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom