St. John's fires Mike Anderson / hires Rick Pitino | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

St. John's fires Mike Anderson / hires Rick Pitino

What is the "cause" theyre trying to claim?

I hope these guys wring every cent theyre owed from the Universities and then some...
Can you imagine the audacity of SJU for firing Anderson for cause which includes not having players live up to certain university standards and academics and then replacing him with Rick Pitino, who as we all know is the bastion of student-athlete integrity. What a joke.

Can you imagine the audacity of SJU for firing Anderson for cause which includes not having players live up to certain university standards and academics and then replacing him with Rick Pitino, who as we all know is the bastion of student-athlete integrity. What a joke.
If it was my school I’d want to save the money I don’t care about the fired coaches bank account.

Ollie beating UConn doesn’t help St John’s but every place is different when it comes to law suits. Pretty sure NYC is friendly to plaintiffs. Plenty of backwards places though where local hospitals can kill patients and be extremely negligent and they will never be held liable In a lawsuit.

If it was my school I’d want to save the money I don’t care about the fired coaches bank account.

Ollie beating UConn doesn’t help St John’s but every place is different when it comes to law suits. Pretty sure NYC is friendly to plaintiffs. Plenty of backwards places though where local hospitals can kill patients and be extremely negligent and they will never be held liable In a lawsuit.
Don’t offer and sign contracts you don’t intend to honor.

I know Rick's pretty slick and will recruit well and is a good coach, but isn't it an uphill battle to get guys to go to St. John's in the 2020s? Maybe it's not, but I'm posing the question to see what people think. I'm wondering how big of a problem he'll actually be. Will we lose many of our top recruits in his area to him?

I know Rick's pretty slick and will recruit well and is a good coach, but isn't it an uphill battle to get guys to go to St. John's in the 2020s? Maybe it's not, but I'm posing the question to see what people think. I'm wondering how big of a problem he'll actually be. Will we lose many of our top recruits in his area to him?

I'm a bit concerenEd.

The arms race has changed quite a bit in a relatively short amount of time. Ten years ago it was practice facilities. Then it was special housing. Now it's NIL. And SJU now has a someone willing to play ball to go with their HOF coach.

I will say, there’s gonna be alot of negative recruiting around SJU and Pitino. I could see a backlash from the Anderson firing/Pitino hiring. We shall see. And I’m not really sure how big of a deal this NIL booster is.

Pitino will do well there, as he always does. But he also had very deep resources at Kentucky and Louisville. It won’t be the same at SJU, even with a big booster on board.

I'm a bit concerenEd.

The arms race has changed quite a bit in a relatively short amount of time. Ten years ago it was practice facilities. Then it was special housing. Now it's NIL. And SJU now has a someone willing to play ball to go with their HOF coach.
How long will they play ball for? Going all in on NIL only to see finically savvy people recognize that they’re getting zero return on their investment? You dont make it to the top .1% throwing money around Willy-nilly

And I’m not really sure how big of a deal this NIL booster is.

He's a billionaire friend of Pitino's who knows him from horse racing circles.
He's also a St. John's alum, and was saying in connection to Pitino's hiring that he is sick and tired of the fact that St. John's hasn't been relevant since the early 90s. So I'm expecting this guy to actually spend some serious money, and not just worry about the publicity on social media. He wants to see his alma mater win important games again, not just publicize himself.

If I’m following….some Iona kids followed Pitino to St. John’s and got recruited over in the same offseason?
Completely out of scholarships when the Ledlum kid committed, too… it’s one thing when there’s an open spot that’s just colllege sports but to follow a coach and get recruited over when the roster is full is dirty work

How is Pitino taking away scholarships? That sounds like breach of contract. Are new kids simply being paid enough NIL to pay tuition and make a buck? Either way Rick is being too slick; more like something else that rhymes with ick

Pitino is going to do whatever it takes to make sure he has talent. Whatever it costs. The collateral damage or possible NCAA fallout won't matter at all to him. His ego will not allow him to act otherwise. And I say this as a guy who thinks he is easily one of the 2-3 best X&Os coaches ever at the college level.

Pitino is going to do whatever it takes to make sure he has talent. Whatever it costs. The collateral damage or possible NCAA fallout won't matter at all to him. His ego will not allow him to act otherwise. And I say this as a guy who thinks he is easily one of the 2-3 best X&Os coaches ever at the college level.
And to think some (many?) wanted him at Syracuse. One of these kids just entered the portal again. Pretty sad.

Do we know for a fact that the Iona player who followed him was recruited over and nudged out to make room? Isn't it possible it didn't happen that way the player wanted out for personal reasons and he recruited a replacement quickly?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom