St. John's fires Mike Anderson / hires Rick Pitino | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

St. John's fires Mike Anderson / hires Rick Pitino

Pitino should do well recruiting. St. John’s has their own NIL booster, just like how AW is/was ours.

he is going to be 71 when the season starts.. is he going to make 6 more yrs?

If he wants 1K Ws he will need at least 6 years. Kinda crazy that he might hit that mark despite taking 3 separate breaks from the college game. IMO he is the best HC of all time.

You know he wants the ticker tape parade for taking SJU to the national championship.

Where is St. John’s getting the $$$ to pay good money to Pitino for six years and to buy-out Anderson? I know they are trying to get out of the Anderson buy-out by claiming cause. I don’t see a way St John’s wins without hurting itself.

If he wants 1K Ws he will need at least 6 years. Kinda crazy that he might hit that mark despite taking 3 separate breaks from the college game. IMO he is the best HC of all time.

all time? Come on. He stunk in the NBA as well

Where is St. John’s getting the $$$ to pay good money to Pitino for six years and to buy-out Anderson? I know they are trying to get out of the Anderson buy-out by claiming cause. I don’t see a way St John’s wins without hurting itself.
Look up a gentleman by the name of Mike Repole. He probably had it in his couch cushions. St Johns alumni and Queens local and knows Pitino

We were both good at the same time before.

I don’t think this is like football where only a couple northeast schools can be any good at the same time.

Much smaller rosters and much more talent in the region that we can get in hoops.

I think he’ll do well there, but for how long? I bet he’s there 4 years, max and has a couple good years.

I think this is positive all the way around, hoops in the footprint has stunk lately. St Johns - Cuse in front of 7K or whatever in Brooklyn was a crime against Mullin and Pearl.

NY and esp the DMV produce more than enough players to go around.

all time? Come on. He stunk in the NBA as well

I am talking NCAA. If he finishes his contract he will be at worst 4th all time in Ws. If he hadn't stepped away 4x (11 seasons missed), he would likely be #1. He has taken 5 different schools to the NCAAT (St Johns could be #6). He has taken 3 different schools to the F4 and has 7 F4s total. He only has 2 Titles though, but IMO him jumping around held him back from winning others (like in 1998).

I am talking NCAA. If he finishes his contract he will be at worst 4th all time in Ws. If he hadn't stepped away 4x (11 seasons missed), he would likely be #1. He has taken 5 different schools to the NCAAT (St Johns could be #6). He has taken 3 different schools to the F4 and has 7 F4s total. He only has 2 Titles though, but IMO him jumping around held him back from winning others (like in 1998).

Ok, I can get my mind around that opinion don't agree but don't get me wrong I think he's a great great coach.

Ok, I can get my mind around that opinion don't agree but don't get me wrong I think he's a great great coach.

If you are counting Wooden, then he is #1. Otherwise Coach K is the GOAT because he actually did the work (5 titles). I think Pitino has just as many if he never left Kentucky, but that is just opinion while Coach K is fact.

If Pitino has success at St Johns, is he not #2 behind Coach K? Who would be ahead of him? Maybe Roy?

The fact that the guy missed 11 seasons and still had a career worthy of being a Top 4 coach all time is crazy.

We were both good at the same time before.

I don’t think this is like football where only a couple northeast schools can be any good at the same time.

Much smaller rosters and much more talent in the region that we can get in hoops.

I think he’ll do well there, but for how long? I bet he’s there 4 years, max and has a couple good years.
I think it’s going to be a real problem for us. Rick isn’t JB. He’s not going to have the same drop off JB had in his later years. I don’t know why so many people dismiss him and the impact he can have on a program. He wins everywhere he goes.

St. John’s does have legit financial and program limitations (small alumni and donor base, etc), but Pitino probably likes the idea of returning to NYC. And the expectations are lower at SJU than many other places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom