St John's Game Thread... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

St John's Game Thread...

No...JB inability to change D is a problem. Zone D will not work if the other team is hitting three's.

He's been this way forever and very rarely have we ever been this bad...I think we need to consider the problem is the makeup of this team.

The zone will equalize their shooting out over time. But unless we can take advantage of these stops, we'll lose. For us, that starts with our guards. And our guards have been out right shitty!

This sorta wrecks the assertion that we would have won a bunch more games if there hadn't been a suspension last year.

I respectfully disagree about the style being the issue. This system works when the kids play defense and when we have reasonable guard play. These guys cannot play defense (the fifth year seniors are terrible at it) and our guard play has been the worst I've ever seen at SU. It's not on JB...it's on the players...Just my opinion...

Sure the guards aren't good but something must be drawn up to put them in better positions. Plenty of bad teams can run offense on freaking St. John's. It's total erosion of fundamentals and offense out there. Continuing to watch St.J players grab rebounds. Coaching factor cannot be ignored.

Ok how we become a great team
(Chance that happens...low)

*Gillon attacks then looks to pass when he gets in the lane...or stops to shoot the medium range shot...or converts at the rim like he did at the start of the season

*Lydon continues his progression towards becoming a dominant player. He's starting to actually shoot it when he gets in the post instead of just throw it or flip it towards the basket

*Thompson is fed the ball consistently. He's a monster and when teams start to double our wings dive to the basket and he knows how to pass

*Battle continues his very incremental progression. He's getting a little more comfortable...driving it a little more each game

*Roberson gets a couple breaks. He seems to have the right attitude in terms of attacking when he gets the ball but a couple of missed fouls and weird bounces of the ball gets him thinking

*Howard - honestly I think he's doing a bit better. Would be great if a couple people finished on his dishes and he made a driving layup...keep getting incrementally better

White's not going to change and that's not completely terrible

Coleman's not going to change

I'd love to see Frank or Lydon just attack the rim and go for a CJ Fair like momentum boosting dunk

Our guards are horrible. Gillon picks up the ball shortly after crossing half court and just looks clueless running the O. Howard isn't any better either. Just a complete horror show out there on offense. 35-20 run by the Johnnies since we were up early 9-4. It's a good thing they went stone cold from the outside too during that stretch after the 8 minute mark or so or we could easily be down 20. They missed a half dozen or so wide open shots.

Meanwhile, the 2nd best team in the Big East from 3 point land and stubborn JB just keeps us sitting in our pathetic zone. And, this year, it's simply pathetic.

Sure the guards aren't good but something must be drawn up to put them in better positions. Plenty of bad teams can run offense on freaking St. John's. It's total erosion of fundamentals and offense out there. Coaching factor cannot be ignored.

You may be right but JB isn't going to change his offensive style. I also think that with even average SU guard play, we have a much better outcome!

Our guards are horrible. Gillon picks up the ball shortly after crossing half court and just looks clueless running the O. Howard isn't any better either. Just a complete horror show out there on offense. 35-20 run by the Johnnies since we were up early 9-4. It's a good thing they went stone cold from the outside too during that stretch after the 8 minute mark or so or we could easily be down 20. They missed a half dozen or so wide open shots.

Meanwhile, the 2nd best team in the Big East from 3 point land and stubborn JB just keeps us sitting in our pathetic zone. And, this year, it's simply pathetic.
Can you really blame Gillion when he is being coached to run this offense this way.He was not here the last few years. Is this Hopkins offenese

I feel bad for White. Thought he made the best choice to enhance his NBA prospects, and now, he'll be googling to see what side of the road they drive on in Latvia.

NBA. Are you kidding me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom