St Johns | Syracusefan.com

St Johns

NC_Orange

Walk On
So I know some of next years schedule is slowly being leaked out but I haven't see anything about playing St. Johns next year. I'm going to be up in the NYC area for a week and half around Christmas and was hoping to catch a game at the Garden. I know we play UConn in the Coaches vs. Cancer but that is typically closer to the beginning of December. I would guess if we are playing St. Johns it would be at the Garden.

It was a two year deal for 2015-16 and 2016-17.

No idea if it's going to be renewed. We're already playing Georgetown on the road, and UConn at MSG on Dec 5.

It was a two year deal for 2015-16 and 2016-17.

No idea if it's going to be renewed. We're already playing Georgetown on the road, and UConn at MSG on Dec 5.
I'd love to go to that G-Town game and be one of the Cuse supporters who get to heckle Ewing.

The Hell with St Johns, there is no upside of playing them, other than the Garden, and I am tired of hearing 50 times in March about losing to them.
Agreed.

We need to play in the Garden or Barclays though. We have UConn this year, but every year going forward, I'd rather play a non-former BE member in NYC. Maybe a Michigan or West Virginia or Florida. Basically a P5 team with some cache (not a RPI dreg like St. John's or UConn).

Agreed.

We need to play in the Garden or Barclays though. We have UConn this year, but every year going forward, I'd rather play a non-former BE member in NYC. Maybe a Michigan or West Virginia or Florida. Basically a P5 team with some cache (not a RPI dreg like St. John's or UConn).

We can get a game at Msg anytime we want, or Barclays for that matter, we should be looking to schedule games against those type of teams.

The St John's loss kept us out of the tournament this year and almost derailed our FF run last year. There is no benefit in playing them. If playing in the Garden is so valuable work something out with a better team.

I'd be okay with never playing St. John's ever again
I want to get a win. My friend likes to remind me that they lost on my wedding day and we haven't beat them since.

Obviously Syracuse fans don't care about history and classic rivalries. I find that saddest of all. SJU has enjoyed scheduling Syracuse in good and bad years, even when getting run out of our own Garden for years. Now the millennial mind-set of " there's nothing to gain because we could lose and damage our rpi" sissy nonsense. I find it sad, and Cuse bowed out of the series for exactly that reason.

Obviously Syracuse fans don't care about history and classic rivalries. I find that saddest of all. SJU has enjoyed scheduling Syracuse in good and bad years, even when getting run out of our own Garden for years. Now the millennial mind-set of " there's nothing to gain because we could lose and damage our rpi" sissy nonsense. I find it sad, and Cuse bowed out of the series for exactly that reason.

We bowed out because it's your Super Bowl and you guys shoot 70% from half court against us and make 20% of your layups against the rest of your schedule. A loss to you guys makes the tournament an uphill battle and a win adds nothing.

Spoken like a millennial. We played Cuse for many years, while we got our asses handed to us. Now SJU wins a few and it's a problem for Longshanks? SJU would win this year and the next but shouldn't a rivalry going back decades mean more than that?

It's not a problem that St. John's wins a few. It's a problem that St. John's sucks so much that Cuse winning wouldn't help us, but Cuse losing can ruin our season. Doug Gottlieb was trying to lead the crusade to keep us out of the tournament in our 2016 final four year, because we lost to St. John's.

You can be mad at Cuse if you want, but you've gotta see that if SJU wasn't so bad, Syracuse would want to play them.

I'd love to see St. John's good again, and the rivalry continuing.

It's not a problem that St. John's wins a few. It's a problem that St. John's sucks so much that Cuse winning wouldn't help us, but Cuse losing can ruin our season. Doug Gottlieb was trying to lead the crusade to keep us out of the tournament in our 2016 final four year, because we lost to St. John's.

You can be mad at Cuse if you want, but you've gotta see that if SJU wasn't so bad, Syracuse would want to play them.

Sonny-Dove.jpg

Spoken like a millennial. We played Cuse for many years, while we got our asses handed to us. Now SJU wins a few and it's a problem for Longshanks? SJU would win this year and the next but shouldn't a rivalry going back decades mean more than that?

Please keep calling us Longshanks, that made my night! If there were something besides Orange that I wish we were it would be Longshanks.

Im not mad at all. I do like to preserve old rivalries though. Losing those bothers me. I was mad when you guys were beating us every year. Your argument is flawed though. Now I'm just embarrassed for what Syracuse has become.

Only way SJU can ruin your season is if you suck, but the ACC's strength keeps you afloat enough to make it seem like you don't suck and barely get to .500. At that point, a loss to SJU can hurt you and be an easy scapegoat because you didn't get into the tourney on the conference's back end.

Only thing ruining Syracuse's season is not being good enough to compete with the rest of the ACC. Blaming an underachieving St. John's team for losing to them every year and potentially being a season-killer is absurd. The only thing keeping Cuse out of the tourney last few years is Cuse not being very good.. bottom line. SJU hasn't been real good either, but they're surely not the issue.

Im not mad at all. I do like to preserve old rivalries though. Losing those bothers me. I was mad when you guys were beating us every year. Your argument is flawed though. Now I'm just embarrassed for what Syracuse has become.

Only way SJU can ruin your season is if you suck, but the ACC's strength keeps you afloat enough to make it seem like you don't suck and barely get to .500. At that point, a loss to SJU can hurt you and be an easy scapegoat because you didn't get into the tourney on the conference's back end.

Only thing ruining Syracuse's season is not being good enough to compete with the rest of the ACC. Blaming an underachieving St. John's team for losing to them every year and potentially being a season-killer is absurd. The only thing keeping Cuse out of the tourney last few years is Cuse not being very good.. bottom line. SJU hasn't been real good either, but they're surely not the issue.
You're embarrassed for what Syracuse has become?? Two Final Four appearances in last 5 years. Yeah, that's real embarrassing. A couple of losses to STJ doesn't diminish that.

You're in over your head. Not good enough to compete with the rest of the ACC? Syracuse was 10-8 in the conference this past season. They beat three top 10 teams, and took a 4th to overtime. The only reason Syracuse didn't make the tournament was because of bad losses (i.e. St. John's).

You're in over your head. Not good enough to compete with the rest of the ACC? Syracuse was 10-8 in the conference this past season. They beat three top 10 teams, and took a 4th to overtime. The only reason Syracuse didn't make the tournament was because of bad losses (i.e. St. John's).

ACC with an NCAA record 9 teams in the tourney and you're saying Syracuse didn't get in because of St. John's? It's not that loss that did it... pretty sure it's a bit more than that. Why not just win more games overall? SJU vs Cuse is a classic rivalry game. To pull out because Cuse isn't winning the matchup lately is ridiculous.

ACC with an NCAA record 9 teams in the tourney and you're saying Syracuse didn't get in because of St. John's? It's not that loss that did it... pretty sure it's a bit more than that. Why not just win more games overall? SJU vs Cuse is a classic rivalry game. To pull out because Cuse isn't winning the matchup lately is ridiculous.

St. John's was a horrid loss and huge black mark on our borderline resume.

Why not just win more games overall? Same to you? Find some other rivalries or something. The SU-St. John's "rivalry" is all based on nostalgia anyway. The reason for that is your program fell apart. Nobody cares about the actual current matchups. It's all about Pearl and Mullin and Berry and Coleman and Sealy and Owens, etc. It was great. I can't remember a big game in the series in a good 20 years. we've played plenty of big games with other teams in that time though. We've got new teams we get fired up to play. You?

St. John's was a horrid loss and huge black mark on our borderline resume.

Why not just win more games overall? Same to you? Find some other rivalries or something. The SU-St. John's "rivalry" is all based on nostalgia anyway. The reason for that is your program fell apart. Nobody cares about the actual current matchups. It's all about Pearl and Mullin and Berry and Coleman and Sealy and Owens, etc. It was great. I can't remember a big game in the series in a good 20 years. we've played plenty of big games with other teams in that time though. We've got new teams we get fired up to play. You?

Find a new rivalry? I believe the SJU vs Cuse series is one of Cuse's 5 longest series going almost 100 games, much like the Georgetown series.

Find a new rivalry? I believe the SJU vs Cuse series is one of Cuse's 5 longest series going almost 100 games, much like the Georgetown series.

With 1/100th of the passion and vitriol of the Georgetown rivalry, at least on our side towards SJU.

Georgetown was a RIVALRY. I still hate everything about their program with the white-hot rage of 1000 supernovas.

St Johns was, at best a Rivalry in the 80's, and then rivalry for a while after that, and now -
just some spunky local NY mid-major we used to play a lot, back in the day.
Just like St. Bonnies, Colgate, and Canisius.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom