Star Wars: best order for newbies? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Star Wars: best order for newbies?

So to follow up...

We're starting this Saturday, and after discussing it with the kids, the overwhelming choice was in numerical order. So it will be 1,2,3,3.5,4,5,6,7, and the to 8 at the theater.

If they love it, so be it. I know there will be questions from time to time, and I will try to explain to them how the surprises and answers came to us with the theatrical order.

Should be fun!!
Are you watching 1-3 then going to the movie theater and seeing Rogue One and then watching 4-7?

Are you watching 1-3 then going to the movie theater and seeing Rogue One and then watching 4-7?
It depends how far into the year we are at that point. It will be out of theaters I'm sure. It will either be out on blu-ray or we'll pull it up on my kodi box if need be. Hopefully there will be a good feed by then, the current one is fan filmed with a phone in another country. Ugh

It depends how far into the year we are at that point. It will be out of theaters I'm sure. It will either be out on blu-ray or we'll pull it up on my kodi box if need be. Hopefully there will be a good feed by then, the current one is fan filmed with a phone in another country. Ugh
If this is their introduction to Star Wars the reveal in 5 wouldn't be dramatic if you start with one.
However good job by you getting them interested. Enjoy it.

im guessing Rogue will be OnDemand by March/April.

pretty sure that's when Force Awakens hit.

im headed back to Disney on 2nd week of April and true to form, the boy didn't want to go see Rogue with me at theatre, but is anxiously awaiting its 'tv' release and we are banking on seeing it before we go.

I've only seen revenge of the sith, the one that came out last year, and rogue one. I think I might have seen one of the older ones but cannot remember.

What is the order of these movies? Are the original old movies considered the best?

I've only seen revenge of the sith, the one that came out last year, and rogue one. I think I might have seen one of the older ones but cannot remember.

What is the order of these movies? Are the original old movies considered the best?
will.gif

JMO, but if you want to hook the kids, I would not show them 1,2,3 first. How old are they? Will they be impressed with the dopey CGI, brutal acting (except for Liam Neeson), and JJB? If there's any question, I would start with 3.5,4,5,6. Or 4,5,6,3.5 (kids like prequels :) ).

Going chronologically and starting with 4,5,6 runs the risk of turning them off totally. Then again, if they're young enough, they may like dopey CGI, brutal acting , and JJB. ;)

JMO, but if you want to hook the kids, I would not show them 1,2,3 first. How old are they? Will they be impressed with the dopey CGI, brutal acting (except for Liam Neeson), and JJB? If there's any question, I would start with 3.5,4,5,6. Or 4,5,6,3.5 (kids like prequels :) ).

Going chronologically and starting with 4,5,6 runs the risk of turning them off totally. Then again, if they're young enough, they may like dopey CGI, brutal acting , and JJB. ;)
I agree the reveal of 5 is nothing if you see 1-3 then the Cloud City Luke scene isn't dramatic.

First of all, guys believe me I know how ridiculous this whole conversation seems. I've been thinking now that I'm going to do the originals first.

A. If we end up not finishing this project at least they see the best ones.

B. I think I'm going to drive them nuts and have a set up discussion before each episode, and Q&A after each episode. Then they'll be straight. Fingers crossed.

Btw their ages are 7,7,7,9,10,12,13,15.

First of all, guys believe me I know how ridiculous this whole conversation seems. I've been thinking now that I'm going to do the originals first.

B. I think I'm going to drive them nuts and have a set up discussion before each episode, and Q&A after each episode. Then they'll be straight. Fingers crossed.

Btw they are 7,7,7,9,10,12,13,15.
I think that's the best choice. Or Rogue One first, then 4,5,6. Too many spoilers (not to mention how awful 1,23 are) that would ruin 4,5,6, as Alsacs said.

I think that's the best choice. Or Rogue One first, then 4,5,6. Too many spoilers (not to mention how awful 1,23 are) that would ruin 4,5,6, as Alsacs said.
While the prequels would ruin surprises in the originals, the same problem exists in the other direction. The things we learned in 1,2,3 (while minimal) would lose their surprise too.

While the prequels would ruin surprises in the originals, the same problem exists in the other direction. The things we learned in 1,2,3 (while minimal) would lose their surprise too.
Oh, I get it.

But 4,5,6 are just so much better than 1,2,3 - that was where my thinking was.

I want advice. I think I know how I want to handle this, but a valid argument might be able to convince me otherwise.

My children have seen all 8 Star Wars movies multiple times. The original trilogy and the prequel trilogy were presented to them in the order I saw them. All of my nieces and nephews however have either only seen some, or never seen any of them. Knowing that I am a Star Wars fanatic, they're asking me to host a "marathon" where we would watch one on a Friday night once a month at my house until December when VIII comes out.

For me there is only one way to watch it. But I also want the kids to get fully engulfed in this, so is that the way to do it?

Just wanted to see what other Star Wars nuts had to say.

The way to do it is to watch the prequels first. Anakin as a kid is a way to get kids hooked into the story. The love story between Anakin and Padme has no chemistry, but honestly, that's really the only "problem" with the prequels. For all the Jar Jar haters out there, he plays a critical part in the whole story, and is only "offensive" as a racial stereotype if you are way too PC.

Oh, I get it.

But 4,5,6 are just so much better than 1,2,3 - that was where my thinking was.

Eh, not really. The acting is more sassy, but the movies are not that much better. You just have a soft spot for them because they are what you grew up with.

Personally, I think Lucas realized his dream universe a lot better in the prequels, as the technology and production budget caught up with what he had in mind. In the debut Star Wars, your scariest monster lives in a trash compactor. I mean, please. That's low budget.

And don't get me started on The Teddy Bears' Picnic ending to episode 6.

Eh, not really. The acting is more sassy, but the movies are not that much better. You just have a soft spot for them because they are what you grew up with.
Well, we all have our opinions. 4,5,6 are just awful and filled with padding. The pod race in 4 is just interminable.

The acting isn't sassy - it's awful. Christain Haydensen is just terrible. It appears Natalie Portman learned how to act after filming these. S L Jackson appears to have phoned in his appearance, especially in 4.

If these are your favorites, knock yourself out. I wouldn't watch them again unless you paid me.

Pretty sure most people say the same thing if you asked them, regardless of when they grew up.

Btw their ages are 7,7,7,9,10,12,13,15.
Regardless, can we send 917 over to watch as well??

I'm doubling down on my recommendation of release order. If you wanted you could slot 3.5 in before 4 but I could go either way on that.

Rationale: kids do like JJB or are at least not bothered by him, but Ep 1 and 2 are very slow and complicated with political maneuvering and trade treaties, etc. I found it hard to follow when they came out and I was a 25 year old (with sub standard intelligence, but still). Also, I think it will be hard for modern kids to transition from modern looking CGI to 1970's special effects without getting let down. Also, the light saber battles are cool in the originals until you see the prequels and then they look comically bad. And finally, I would just hate to rob them of the Vader Luke reveal. It's one of the biggest reveals of a century of film and is completely neutered for no good reason by watching in numerical order.

Well, we all have our opinions. 4,5,6 are just awful and filled with padding. The pod race in 4 is just interminable.

The acting isn't sassy - it's awful. Christain Haydensen is just terrible. It appears Natalie Portman learned how to act after filming these. S L Jackson appears to have phoned in his appearance, especially in 4.

If these are your favorites, knock yourself out. I wouldn't watch them again unless you paid me.

Pretty sure most people say the same thing if you asked them, regardless of when they grew up.

I was going by the intended order - you've got my post mixed up.
1-2-3 = prequels. 4-5-6 = "original" trilogy.

In defense of the prequels - 1. The Gungans are cool, it's a different world (Naboo), that battle scene is epic, and Anakin as a kid is a good entry point for kids. Darth Maul is the best Sith villain in any of the films. He is 100% badass.
2. Hayden Christianson may not be your choice, but he plays spoiled / talented / emotional well in the scenes with Palpatine and Obi Wan. His chemistry with both those characters is very well developed. Chasing the baddie where he jumps out of the flying car is freaking crazy, and the whole city of Corouscant is awesome. When Obi Wan travels out to that planet that rains all the time, with those tall slender people who made the clones of Django Fett is pretty awesome. So are the battle scenes where Yoda goes against Christopher Lee's character.
3. The final scene where Obi Wan cuts off Anakin's arms and legs and leaves him to die after he's caught on fire from the lava, and then his resurrection as Darth Vader is tremendous. Padme's death scene is the single worst scene of the entire series, but what leads up to it is great drama. So is the whole clones vs. droids war and the politics behind Palpatine's ascension to Emperor, and his battle with Mace Windu. Great, great stuff.

How would I watch the old Star Wars movies? Basically... 1-6 haha

I was going by the intended order - you've got my post mixed up.
1-2-3 = prequels. 4-5-6 = "original" trilogy.

In defense of the prequels - 1. The Gungans are cool, it's a different world (Naboo), that battle scene is epic, and Anakin as a kid is a good entry point for kids. Darth Maul is the best Sith villain in any of the films. He is 100% badass.
2. Hayden Christianson may not be your choice, but he plays spoiled / talented / emotional well in the scenes with Palpatine and Obi Wan. His chemistry with both those characters is very well developed. Chasing the baddie where he jumps out of the flying car is freaking crazy, and the whole city of Corouscant is awesome. When Obi Wan travels out to that planet that rains all the time, with those tall slender people who made the clones of Django Fett is pretty awesome. So are the battle scenes where Yoda goes against Christopher Lee's character.
3. The final scene where Obi Wan cuts off Anakin's arms and legs and leaves him to die after he's caught on fire from the lava, and then his resurrection as Darth Vader is tremendous. Padme's death scene is the single worst scene of the entire series, but what leads up to it is great drama. So is the whole clones vs. droids war and the politics behind Palpatine's ascension to Emperor, and his battle with Mace Windu. Great, great stuff.
that puts it in nice perspective.

my soon to be 6 year old loves Darth Maul, even got him a costume for Christmas that he wears around the house spinning his lightsaber.

he also thinks that goofy scene where Vader finds out Padme is dead (leading up to it with the mask in the air is very cool) and yells...NOOOOOO!!! is awesome.

so I guess some of that stuff lands for that generation.

that puts it in nice perspective.

my soon to be 6 year old loves Darth Maul, even got him a costume for Christmas that he wears around the house spinning his lightsaber.

he also thinks that goofy scene where Vader finds out Padme is dead (leading up to it with the mask in the air is very cool) and yells...NOOOOOO!!! is awesome.

so I guess some of that stuff lands for that generation.

As much as people criticize Lucas for wooden dialogue, the guy had a tremendous imagination, and dreamt up distinct different worlds. For the reboot, they basically repeated the original movie (number 4 in sequence). Lucas left them a whole storyline for how he would have done movies 7-9, but they tossed it in the trash can. If the next movie is just another repeat of The Empire Strikes Back, I will be very, very disappointed. Lucas had great imagination.

And yes, I agree that the next generation of kids will love seeing them in the order Lucas intended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom