Staten Island RB Augustus Edwards up to 9 offers | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Staten Island RB Augustus Edwards up to 9 offers

Is my count correct? We've lost three recruits (Carter, Edwards and Allen) and possibly a fourth (Smith) likely due to a coaching change.

And three of them are from NY State.

Hmmmm.

Remember that when Ogonedeko flipped, the "Marrone to the NFL" rumors were hot n heavy. Don't think that didn't have something to do with it...

I think the seed was planted in Gus decommitting when Ebo went to Clemson. Gus seemed really bummed and surprised when he wasn't coming to SU.

Not knowing a lot about coaching hires, but could you just take a risk on a NYC HS coach and train him up as a college DB coach? Just for the connections?

As a NYS HS coach there isn't enough talent for that to be worthwhile. If the coaching staff has their yearly clinic, is approachable and gives NYS kids a real look they can build a good relationship with NYS coaches. I can tell you from experience other than NYC coaches not a lot of other NYS coaches were enamored with Marrone.

What I find funny in all this is Gus's quote - "I told God to lead me and this is where he lead me"

Uhhh, i doubt God would lead you to a point of going back on your word and breaking a commitment. Regardless of the circumstances.
Maybe God doesn't like to be told so he played a trick on him?

Wish the kid good luck, except against us but also feel he is making a poor decision based on both education and on a fair chance to seeing the field in a meaningful way. :bang:

Meh, I don't wish him luck. If he doesn't want to be at SU, he is just another player at some school not named Syracuse. I'll forget his name by April.

2 hours ago...mcdonald retweet. "One of the hardest things in life is deciding whether to walk away or try harder". Looks like we walked away...
You got to know when to hold 'em...know when to fold 'em...

Meh, I don't wish him luck. If he doesn't want to be at SU, he is just another player at some school not named Syracuse. I'll forget his name by April.

Agree, I really don't wish good luck in cases like this, I just don't care anymore. I'm assuming he doesn't wish me luck either so we're probably even.

As a NYS HS coach there isn't enough talent for that to be worthwhile. If the coaching staff has their yearly clinic, is approachable and gives NYS kids a real look they can build a good relationship with NYS coaches. I can tell you from experience other than NYC coaches not a lot of other NYS coaches were enamored with Marrone.

he focused exclusively on downstate

-- PP and GRob had a very good relation with Coach Moskov (Auburn - Brian Hooper, Matt Lepak)

HCDM - not so much

Auburn still participates in SU camps because SU will always be there, but I can tell you there was a non-comfort level between Moskov and Marrone

The future recruiting pie should look like this in my eyes:
10% - New York (keep presence but lack of talent hurts)
15% - New Jersey (lots of talent and we had success in past)
15% - PA & OH (new coaches have connections thru their MAC days)
10% - Midwest (open Chicago w/ Coach Lester and talk McNabb...I live here and they still speak of #5 and the Cuse)
40% - Southeast (Tons of talent in FL, GA, VA & the Carolinas)
10% - JUCO (quick fix)

I do not believe NY lacks talent. They are just more raw than some other areas...take an extra year or so to develop. They are an important part of SU's mix.

Maybe God doesn't like to be told so he played a trick on him?

God has apparently led Gus to a place devoid of bowls because of looming NCAA sanctions. It appears the big guy has lost his touch.

God has apparently led Gus to a place devoid of bowls because of looming NCAA sanctions. It appears the big guy has lost his touch.

Apparently God loves South Beach. Who knew!

I do not believe NY lacks talent. They are just more raw than some other areas...take an extra year or so to develop. They are an important part of SU's mix.
I think that NY has a lack of D-1 football talent in the state. IMO you can see a huge difference in the high school games with the so called big time talent. NY isn't awful but we should offer 8 kids per year in the home state. OHIO, DMV, FL, GA, PA, NJ, NC, and SC should be 90 percent of our offers IMO

Kid always said Miami was his dream school just not sure if he gets a fair shot being behind Ray Lewis III?
It's no longer a concern of ours, we will move forward and I really think it was for the best. We will face EBO & now Edwards, should take those games up a notch in the future.

he focused exclusively on downstate

-- PP and GRob had a very good relation with Coach Moskov (Auburn - Brian Hooper, Matt Lepak)

HCDM - not so much

Auburn still participates in SU camps because SU will always be there, but I can tell you there was a non-comfort level between Moskov and Marrone
Count Carl Sanfillippo in that camp

It's no longer a concern of ours, we will move forward and I really think it was for the best. We will face EBO & now Edwards, should take those games up a notch in the future.

We may only face Edwards when we are up 30. I think it will be hard for him to see the field

I for one am not heartbroken... Something rotten with that whole Tottenville situation and the further SU is from it I beleive the better... Oh yeah almost forgot, FU DM...

Agree, I really don't wish good luck in cases like this, I just don't care anymore. I'm assuming he doesn't wish me luck either so we're probably even.
I agree with that sentiment...but from a staff-related perspective, never burn recruiting bridges to a school - wish him well and move on to the next RB prospect

What happened to Miami's running back recruiting? I know that they have had their issues, but it seems that they used to walk out of their offices and just choose from the hundreds of kids just outside their door. They had Edge, Portis, McGahee and Gore among others. Now they are recruiting NYC for running backs?

I do think it's going to be tough for Gus to get on the field if he chooses Miami.
Duke Johnson was a true frosh / Ray Lewis' son same class / The potential for Alex Collins same class / Whatever stud they'll pick up in 2014, 2015, etc.
I will point out that some services have Edwards rated ahead of Lewis, but the reality is that Lewis' legacy is going to be tough to catapult.

Best case for Edwards at the U:
Collins chooses Arkansas, Edwards redshirts (thus giving him 2 years in class separation from Duke Johnson), Johnson leaves the U after his junior season, Lewis moves to LB (even though he is tiny, especially in comparison to pops), and the U has trouble recruiting top RB's the next few years.

Florida State's backfield is just as crowded, if not more.

It doesn't look like the 'Cuse will have much of an opportunity to light him when he has the ball, considering the fact that he may rarely have the ball!

He just posted a picture on facebook of Miami. I guess he's there now.

The best case scenario for AE is that he's better than everyone and finds himself at the top of the depth chart.

I'll be laughing though when the NCAA hammers them.

I think that NY has a lack of D-1 football talent in the state. IMO you can see a huge difference in the high school games with the so called big time talent. NY isn't awful but we should offer 8 kids per year in the home state. OHIO, DMV, FL, GA, PA, NJ, NC, and SC should be 90 percent of our offers IMO
I played HS football in NY. My son is playing HS football in OH. My senior year NY team had 2 players that went to SU, 1 to Colgate, 1 to Alabama, 1 to Michigan. Also had a player turn down a D1 scholly because he was a 1st round pick in MLB. (weren't all seniors but were all on varsity). My son's HS will send linemen into the NFL the next 3 seasons. This past season we had 1 D1 lineman and 1 D3 lineman, a junior QB getting looks from SEC schools and a D2 WR...and we weren't very good in Ohio Division II. I'm fairly familiar with HS footbal in both NY and OH and I can tell you there is no comparison. Every week our HS here is going against kids going to OSU, Michigan, Michigan St, Kentucky etc. Oh and by the way, yesterday my son met Urban Meyer when he stopped by the school. No he's not recruiting my son (yet?) and I'm not really sure if our school has anyone of OSU caliber, I think Urban was just making the rounds developing relationships. It would not be a waste of time for SU to send a recruiter on the rounds in Cincinnati, Cleveland and Columbus. Tons of talent around Ohio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom