Staten Island RB Augustus Edwards up to 9 offers | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Staten Island RB Augustus Edwards up to 9 offers

Not surprising. Glad the coaches put the heat on to get a decision. My guess is the 2013 NYC recruiting chapter is closed. Laray seems to indecisive track vs. football, etc, so think CUSE loses there as well. Hoping we can finish strong regardless. Good luck Gus and no bashing the kid.

Good luck to the kids, only reason I wanted him here was because I thought we would have a better shot at EBO. Next!!!!

Not surprising. Glad the coaches put the heat on to get a decision. My guess is the 2013 NYC recruiting chapter is closed. Laray seems to indecisive track vs. football, etc, so think CUSE loses there as well. Hoping we can finish strong regardless. Good luck Gus and no bashing the kid.

I agree.

And while I think the bashing should stop - there is a part of me that's like - what do you think would happen? Are you from NYC or not?!? It's like Philly players being sad because the fans are so demanding. If you're from the city and choose to not rep your state, you're going to hear it. I'm not condoning it - just think city kids should have tougher skin.

In other news, looks like he's going to join EO as players HCSS didn't want to see in opposing unis. Locked in the dome.

Also - we've won the same amount of ACC championships as the "U" ...

Edwards must have some talent to be coveted the way he was. But I always thought he'd be more dominant for a guy with his size and speed. Color me a little unimpressed, and I felt that way months ago.

Not surprised. Oh well. On to the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least we have DT Wayne Williams from Brooklyn and he will add more value to the Orange than Gus would have.

So much for the NYC pipeline...

Only tangentially related with what happened today but I am not in the least convinced that Moore is the solution for downstate recruiting. He needs help down there and you can't have McDonald shadowing him on every trip. Hoping and praying that the db coach is a tristate recruiter. Hafley please!

Not surprised. Oh well. On to the next one.

Too bad--but this is the risk you run whenever this is a coaching change.

Would have liked to retain Gus for a multitude of reasons [he's a pretty highly rated recruit, he's a NYC guy, hate to lose him after procuring his commitment earlier, etc.], but time to move on. I'm pretty comfortable with the talent we have at RB.

Next.

All this talk about NYC recruiting but the key lies in NJ.

Cuse must get back into NJ like the old days for RU in the B1G will be big to the top high school talent there.

Would have liked to retain Gus for a multitude of reasons [he's a pretty highly rated recruit, he's a NYC guy, hate to lose him after procuring his commitment earlier, etc.], but time to move on. I'm pretty comfortable with the talent we have at RB.

Next.

What I find funny in all this is Gus's quote - "I told God to lead me and this is where he lead me"

Uhhh, i doubt God would lead you to a point of going back on your word and breaking a commitment. Regardless of the circumstances.

Even with Marrone and Anselmo here, he may have flipped... Big FLA schools court you and such is life...
Agree 100%. This may have happened no matter who coach was. Cest la vie.

Next.

All this talk about NYC recruiting but the key lies in NJ.

Cuse must get back into NJ like the old days for RU in the B1G will be big to the top high school talent there.

It's been years since we've recruited well in New Jersey. Our coaches don't have many contacts there and the state is over recruited. It's going to be hard to recruit blue chip kids there now that Rutgers is selling B1G football. But we can't stop making an effort there.

What I find funny in all this is Gus's quote - "I told God to lead me and this is where he lead me"

Uhhh, i doubt God would lead you to a point of going back on your word and breaking a commitment. Regardless of the circumstances.

When does Miami go on probation?

Next.
Thats really a key. We are almost overloaded at the position for next year so this would have been just another log on the fire. Hopefully the staff can keep grinding it out.

Is it bad that I think Morris is and will be the better football player? I wonder if Gus wasn't from NY if we would have even recruited him?

It's been years since we've recruited well in New Jersey. Our coaches don't have many contacts there and the state is over recruited. It's going to be hard to recruit blue chip kids there now that Rutgers is selling B1G football. But we can't stop making an effort there.
I worry about Rob Moore in NYC. Did he get 1 player out of NJ?

Thats really a key. We are almost overloaded at the position for next year so this would have been just another log on the fire. Hopefully the staff can keep grinding it out.

Starts "yesterday" with Howard at West Genny.

The future recruiting pie should look like this in my eyes:
10% - New York (keep presence but lack of talent hurts)
15% - New Jersey (lots of talent and we had success in past)
15% - PA & OH (new coaches have connections thru their MAC days)
10% - Midwest (open Chicago w/ Coach Lester and talk McNabb...I live here and they still speak of #5 and the Cuse)
40% - Southeast (Tons of talent in FL, GA, VA & the Carolinas)
10% - JUCO (quick fix)

Is my count correct? We've lost three recruits (Carter, Edwards and Allen) and possibly a fourth (Smith) likely due to a coaching change.

And three of them are from NY State.

Hmmmm.

Sucks. I hope we still have enough juice in NYC next year to get Curtis Samuel.

Totally agree...Seems like we spend too much time down there for little return..Need better ROI

I agree, as someone who has followed and been involved in NYS HS football for quite some time I can tell you that the overall quality of play in NYC isn't that great. The advantage they have is the huge population so there are some top notch players localized in the city. However, there is top notch talent in a lot of parts of NYS, just not concentrated in one area like in NYC. SU needs to target the top 5 kids in NYS in every class and start recruiting the heck out of them when the are sophomores and juniors. Go for the best in the state from day one and then if necessary look at some of the borderline ones later in the process. If the are from NYC go for them. If they are from other parts of the state go for them. The new staff looks like they have connections all across the eastern seaboard. We are going to need those connections, because, as much as I think a lot of talent goes overlooked in NYS, you aren't going to build an ACC Championship team from just NYS kids.

I think the seed was planted in Gus decommitting when Ebo went to Clemson. Gus seemed really bummed and surprised when he wasn't coming to SU.

Not knowing a lot about coaching hires, but could you just take a risk on a NYC HS coach and train him up as a college DB coach? Just for the connections?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom