Status of Indoor Football Facility | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Status of Indoor Football Facility

I had always heard that UofL was a dingy, ugly campus. My son having moved to Lville I have had the opportunity to go to a football game at Papa Johns stadium and the SU/LVille BBall game at the Yum Center the other day. I have also extensively walked the campus, both academic and athletic sides and to the contrary the facilities are beautiful as a whole. There are still a few ugly buildings from years ago, but the campus seems to have something new every time I visit. The Yum center is something to behold, I can see the $$$ invested could be excessive.
This appears to be an up and coming university both sport and academic wise blessed with some very deep pockets alumni.

13 mil is more in line for sure... 30 mil was borderline absurd

If $30 million was the figure was hoping that it would have stand alone weight facilities and training rooms (possibly underground ie U$C and also very prudent planning for the zombie invasion) and/or an integrated indoor track facility.

I had always heard that UofL was a dingy, ugly campus. My son having moved to Lville I have had the opportunity to go to a football game at Papa Johns stadium and the SU/LVille BBall game at the Yum Center the other day. I have also extensively walked the campus, both academic and athletic sides and to the contrary the facilities are beautiful as a whole. There are still a few ugly buildings from years ago, but the campus seems to have something new every time I visit. The Yum center is something to behold, I can see the $$$ invested could be excessive.
This appears to be an up and coming university both sport and academic wise blessed with some very deep pockets alumni.
The Yum center was publicly financed (lots of debt) and is publicly owned. They play in a municipal arena. Not saying that's bad...but it's not part of the university and over $300M is owed on it.

Probably a $30 million campaign total, which is great

Wish list:

• $13 mil for IPF/coaches' offices/players' lounge/etc
  • $2 mil in furnishing the IPF with the best of everything. You have a huge opportunity to WOW recruits, so do it up the right way.
  • $4-5 mil Dome locker room upgrades (buy a shitload of pink paint for the opposing teams' locker room)
  • Invest some money into the tailgating atmosphere because it currently licks taint. Keep everyone together and allow day-before parking lot admissions for RV's and Bees.
  • Probably hire a few more qualified folks who can go out and get some real donations. Spend some money, it will more than pay off in the long run.

You get the picture. Make it fun and make it all about Syracuse football.

Since when are bluehairs the only ones to care about an exterior? Fact is, all these new IPFs are basically exactly the same inside. The exterior is the one thing you can differentiate yourselves with. At a minimum, I hope they at least mimic the melo center. But you could go a lot of directions. Just throwing it out there, but say you take the pattern on the roof of the dome and incorporate it into the exterior of the IPF (kind of like the triangular pattern on the hearst tower).

Here are some of their other projects. Makes me feel a little better that they aren't just doing big, boring, glass office buildings. Says the founder teaches at Parsons and used to teach at SU.

http://bernheimerarchitecture.com/projects

Wow louisville has so much potential!! Now that is A SCHOOL WHO BACKS THERE ATHLETIC DPMT 100%!!

The school isn't paying for anything. Groundbreaking will start when they raise the money.

Wish list:

• $4-5 mil Dome locker room upgrades (buy a shitload of pink paint for the opposing teams' locker room)

lol. that would be sweet.

lol. that would be sweet.

Iowa's been pink for 30 years.

tumblr_lc72fdU3Qx1qcp3pdo1_500.jpg

The demeanor on the board is going to change.

I think you should ban him for saying erected pole. We need to remove the sin.

Signed,
Chris Culliver

I know not of what I speak, but isn't a flat roof in Syracuse not the way to go?

Good point, but I think there's a pitch to the roof. Can't tell from that shot.

Good point, but I think there's a pitch to the roof. Can't tell from that shot.
Does anyone really think SU would hire and architect and engineers that would not understand the weather related requirements of CNY winters? Do we really need to be telling them what kind of roof they need? Will the walls be strong enough? They look paper thin!

Does anyone really think SU would hire and architect and engineers that would not understand the weather related requirements of CNY winters? Do we really need to be telling them what kind of roof they need? Will the walls be strong enough? They look paper thin!

Don't you know Bird Library is sinking? They never factored in the weight of the books!

Don't you know Bird Library is sinking? They never factored in the weight of the books!

That's why all the books are in the basement of the bookstore - that wing of Schine was repurposed space and they realized that the main floor wouldn't support the weight of the books.

Syracusefan.com folks...hold off on any of your unsolicited donations to the IPF. Let's wait till the campaign starts...trust me.

Syracusefan.com folks...hold off on any of your unsolicited donations to the IPF. Let's wait till the campaign starts...trust me.

Just tell me where to send my $100 bucks (hey I retired early and now do charity work I do what I can LOL).
:rolleyes:

A flat roof could be built, even in Syracuse.

That being said, it probably does have a slight pitch that can't be seen in the rendering. Pre-engineered buildings usually have a roof slop as low as 1:12.

I know not of what I speak, but isn't a flat roof in Syracuse not the way to go?
It looks way too small.
How can they possibly play football in there?

- Derek Zoolander

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom