Status of Indoor Football Facility | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Status of Indoor Football Facility

Not worth the delay or the cost. It is cheaper to buy more property in Syracuse than to build more densely. That's not changing any time soon. If the worry is what will happen to the track, well there's plenty of university owned land on Skytop.

Don't entirely agree with part of this. You're right - given the economic realities at SU, it's surely not worth the cost. Delay? I'll let someone else tackle that.

But SU's in a dense neighborhood, getting denser. And no one wants a tax-exempt university to acquire more land (if that's even an option, which I trust it isn't around South Campus). So they should use it wisely.

what dorms?

To be more exact, all the buildings off of Skytop Rd. I'm really not familiar with the area. I'm just interested with talk of a new stadium someday so that the university can build new buildings where the Dome is. That area just seems like it could fit a lot more buildings if they weren't so scattered.

Directly south of Manley, across Colvin? That's a small condo complex. SU's dorms and apartments are to the southeast, a little farther to the right.

Ok, I see them. I see that the dorms are much more compact.

Don't entirely agree with part of this. You're right - given the economic realities at SU, it's surely not worth the cost. Delay? I'll let someone else tackle that.

But SU's in a dense neighborhood, getting denser. And no one wants a tax-exempt university to acquire more land (if that's even an option, which I trust it isn't around South Campus). So they should use it wisely.
I must be missing something. If they put the new facility where the current track is and leave parking alone, where is the parking problem? As for a track, they could put one (with seating) around one of the other fields or "re-locate" one of those to the Hookway tract and build a "track stadium" on the site of two of the existing practice fields if more room is needed.

Ok, I see them. I see that the dorms are much more compact.

Yeah, they're newer. They don't face the street very well, but they're pretty efficient with the use of land. The topography of the rest of Skytop makes it difficult to be efficient - tons of ravines and hills among the buildings.

I must be missing something. If they put the new facility where the current track is and leave parking alone, where is the parking problem? As for a track, they could put one (with seating) around one of the other fields or "re-locate" one of those to the Hookway tract and build a "track stadium" on the site of two of the existing practice fields if more room is needed.

Not a current parking problem - they shouldn't lose any spaces. But there have been plans that show a lot more buildings at the athletics complex, so if they're doing some construction now, it couldn't hurt to take that into account.

One would think that they eliminate one of the existing outdoor practice fields now that they're getting a new indoor one. Don't think there will be any future construction at Hookway; lights and fences were difficult enough to negotiate.

There's plenty of space for a track, but not sure where they'll fit it in. Skytop would be lousy. Too windy up there. Ideally, they'd build the IPF on the corner of Lancaster and Colvin, remove the soccer stadium and the empty lot. Build a level of subgrade parking. Reconfigure the Skytop/Colvin intersection and consolidate all the space wasted with slip lanes and bus lanes, provide for a future building site on the northwest corner of the intersection.Put in a grass field at Coyne, play soccer there. Move field hockey to the turf field inside the current track. No problems.

Not a current parking problem - they shouldn't lose any spaces. But there have been plans that show a lot more buildings at the athletics complex, so if they're doing some construction now, it couldn't hurt to take that into account.

One would think that they eliminate one of the existing outdoor practice fields now that they're getting a new indoor one. Don't think there will be any future construction at Hookway; lights and fences were difficult enough to negotiate.

There's plenty of space for a track, but not sure where they'll fit it in. Skytop would be lousy. Too windy up there. Ideally, they'd build the IPF on the corner of Lancaster and Colvin, remove the soccer stadium and the empty lot. Build a level of subgrade parking. Reconfigure the Skytop/Colvin intersection and consolidate all the space wasted with slip lanes and bus lanes, provide for a future building site on the northwest corner of the intersection.Put in a grass field at Coyne, play soccer there. Move field hockey to the turf field inside the current track. No problems.

I think the corner location would be good if they are planning an all-in-one building like the Melo center. If they are doing a field-only I think it would be best to have it connected to the weight room, training rooms, etc...so the players can easily jump from each facility.

I think the corner location would be good if they are planning an all-in-one building like the Melo center. If they are doing a field-only I think it would be best to have it connected to the weight room, training rooms, etc...so the players can easily jump from each facility.

Very good point. And it makes sense to share those facilities, so it's better to get as close to Manley as possible.

Very good point. And it makes sense to share those facilities, so it's better to get as close to Manley as possible.

They should build the IPF at Skytop since that is where the players live and where the football stadium will be.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

They should build the IPF at Skytop since that is where the players live and where the football stadium will be.

You mean the new retractable domed stadium with parking on Drumlins?

By the time the new stadium is at Skytop, we'll either be ready for a new IPF, or have the technology to just pick up the current one and move it.

But the players will probably also be able to portal from Manley to Skytop by then, so the school will have some important decisions to make.

By the time the new stadium is at Skytop, we'll either be ready for a new IPF, or have the technology to just pick up the current one and move it.

But the players will probably also be able to portal from Manley to Skytop by then, so the school will have some important decisions to make.
I'm hoping for teleportation or a portal gun. Especially since some of our 350-pound linemen might get stuck in Futurama-style vacuum tubes.

I'm hoping for teleportation or a portal gun. Especially since some of our 350-pound linemen might get stuck in Futurama-style vacuum tubes.

when you say vacuum tubes...

megamaid-spaceballs.jpg

url
url

1334188175-1102-catwalk-1000x423.jpg

Click to expand pics

1334188181-1102-entry-closeup-1000x519.jpg

1334188200-1102-night-with-projection-1000x529.jpg

1334188167-1102-autumn-1000x529.jpg

If those are steel bars, that looks much better in renderings than it does in person. That's how the New York Times building is built, and it looks like one of those city jails. Really disappointing.

nyt-building.jpg

We have a good architecture school, let's get their input. I really hope they don't spend all that money for something that turns out to be "me too." Let's blow people away. If it takes more time and/or money, then try to make it happen.

Also, I assume that if the mockup has McNabb on it, he's probably already on board. I love McNabb, but I would really really really like to see it called The Jim Brown Center.

If those are steel bars, that looks much better in renderings than it does in person. That's how the New York Times building is built, and it looks like one of those city jails. Really disappointing.

nyt-building.jpg

We have a good architecture school, let's get their input. I really hope they don't spend all that money for something that turns out to be "me too." Let's blow people away. If it takes more time and/or money, then try to make it happen.

Also, I assume that if the mockup has McNabb on it, he's probably already on board. I love McNabb, but I would really really really like to see it called The Jim Brown Center.
The renderings make it look to be a translucent skin on the outside of the building not a steel screen.

The renderings make it look to be a translucent skin on the outside of the building not a steel screen.

That's what I mean. The renderings of the NYT building looked just like these renderings. What looked like translucent skin, turned out to be steel bars.

That's what I mean. The renderings of the NYT building looked just like these renderings. What looked like translucent skin, turned out to be steel bars.
Gotcha.

nyt-building.jpg

Too much baggage to put Browns name on it.

The architect's diagrams indicate that it's a polycarbonate material covering the truss.

The drawings also show that it's just over 65' from the playing surface to the bottom of the truss. This height is similar to GA Tech's roof. Hopefully that's the generally accepted minimum height to allow for punting.

The architect's diagrams indicate that it's a polycarbonate material covering the truss.

The drawings also show that it's just over 65' from the playing surface to the bottom of the truss. This height is similar to GA Tech's roof. Hopefully that's the generally accepted minimum height to allow for punting.

In the NFL, there is a rule that states all scoreboards must be at least 85 feet above the playing field. At Cowboys Stadium, the scoreboard is set at 90 feet and kickers still hit it.