Stay classy, Kentucky | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Stay classy, Kentucky

If Higgins was smart he'd use the liberal media to his advantage. A black ref receiving death threats from a predominantly white fan base. All he has to do is go on CNN and play the race card to flip the script.

Aside from the fact that Higgins isn't black, I don't think anyone needs a reason to "flip the script." He's a referee. Idiot fans of a team are threatening his life and terrorizing his family. There's only one side to take here.

Obama is half-and-half, no?

Anyhoo, y'all need to start posting pictures of the refs so we don't make these kinds of mistakes. It's not like their faces are posted in ESPN recaps or at the start of games.[

What made you think he was black?

Calipari blaming the refs is straight up garbage on him. He started all this, even though the UK trash fans escalated it far beyond what is acceptable. F Cal.
So any coach who blames a ref is ultimately responsible if their fanbase sends him death threats? If one of our fans threatened Dick Paparo back in 1984, which they most likely did, is JB to blame? I dislike Calipari a great deal but in no way is this pinned on him. These fanatics made their own decisions.

Edited to add that Cal isn't wrong. There were quite a few poor calls against UK, mostly in the 1st half. These calls had a legitimate impact on the outcome, not that I minded one bit :)

So any coach who blames a ref is ultimately responsible if their fanbase sends him death threats? If one of our fans threatened Dick Paparo back in 1984, which they most likely did, is JB to blame? I dislike Calipari a great deal but in no way is this pinned on him. These fanatics made their own decisions.
No, the fans escalated it beyond anything that is reasonably acceptable.

Calipari fanned the flames by making those post-game comments. The loser fans took it to a new level. I'm not blaming Cal for what those fans did, but he did not help this situation by saying what he said in the presser.

No, the fans escalated it beyond anything that is reasonably acceptable.

Calipari fanned the flames by making those post-game comments. The loser fans took it to a new level. I'm not blaming Cal for what those fans did, but he did not help this situation by saying what he said in the presser.
In my opinion, his comments were warranted. That game was not officiated fairly. I have an unhealthy dislike for Cal & UK but can still see things objectively. If we were UK, I'd be upset if JB didn't call out those refs.

Poor Kentucky they didn't get the refs in their pockets one game and they go insane.

Calipari never agrees with any call against his team. He is a master manipulator it's insane. He is such a master at politics.

He passively went at Bilas for being a Duke homer.

Kentucky should be penalized with an empty arena home game like FIFA does to teams where their fans cross the line.

The only reason this board hasn't been taken over by the crazies is the monitoring done by the moderators. If you don't think SU fans are capable of sending death threats to officials spend a few minutes reading the comments on syracuse.com and you'll reconsider.

Last edited:
Isn't this the site that posted phone numbers to the NCAA?

It's not classy at all, but the outrage is ridiculous as we're no better than them in this regard.

It's not classy at all, but the outrage is ridiculous as we're no better than them in this regard.
Spot on. Wander into any game thread while we're losing & you're sure to see at least a few threats, sometimes even against our own players/coaches. There was a thread during a random Duke game earlier this season where a poster stated that they wanted to punch Luke Kennard in the face because they were annoyed by how much he touches his hair. UK has an enormous/rabid fanbase but I'd be shocked if Higgins didn't receive any threats/voicemails/e-mails etc. from SU fans after the 2012 tourney loss to Ohio State. Let's also keep in mind that there's no greater "click-bait" in college basketball than an anti-Calipari/UK story.

Spot on. Wander into any game thread while we're losing & you're sure to see at least a few threats, sometimes even against our own players/coaches. There was a thread during a random Duke game earlier this season where a poster stated that they wanted to punch Luke Kennard in the face because they were annoyed by how much he touches his hair. UK has an enormous/rabid fanbase but I'd be shocked if Higgins didn't receive any threats/voicemails/e-mails etc. from SU fans after the 2012 tourney loss to Ohio State. Let's also keep in mind that there's no greater "click-bait" in college basketball than an anti-Calipari/UK story.
Although I do agree with your premise, you do realize that when someone says they want to punch Kennard in the face because he touches his hair too much is not actually serious right? Big difference between that and literally calling someone's home phone/blowing up their business ratings

Calling to complain is one thing, death threats are classless and completely uncalled for. When we got snubbed by the committee in 07, I emailed the chair to tell him he was an idiot for not including us, and stated reasons why we should have got in, but thats as far as I would go.

Calling to complain is one thing, death threats are classless and completely uncalled for. When we got snubbed by the committee in 07, I emailed the chair to tell him he was an idiot for not including us, and stated reasons why we should have got in, but thats as far as I would go.

You don't think death threats were called in? Come on...

Yeah UK basketball is life around here. There is nothing else for a lot of these people.
Most everyone I know is a UK fan and it has been a fandom passed down from generation to generation. They live, eat, and breathe it.
Kentucky Sports Radio with Matt Jones has call-ins and it is hilarious. The most backwood redneck people call in and talk crazy.
Its a trip.
I have been known to troll them on my facebook page when they lose and its so easy to get them into a fit of rage.
One thing to know about UK, they never lose. They only ever get cheated by the refs.
Matt Jones, ugh! UK homer.

Their board is terrible. Reminds me of nc state's.

I went over there for about a minute after their game sometime sunday night and granted, emotions would be high at that time for sure, but I read that someone wanted Luke Maye hit by a ___ bus, the refs to die of ass cancer, and someone else to do something with large d*cks.

Good times.

Their board is terrible. Reminds me of nc state's.

I went over there for about a minute after their game sometime sunday night and granted, emotions would be high at that time for sure, but I read that someone wanted Luke Maye hit by a ___ bus, the refs to die of ass cancer, and someone else to do something with large d*cks.

Good times.
That is amazing.

Although I do agree with your premise, you do realize that when someone says they want to punch Kennard in the face because he touches his hair too much is not actually serious right? Big difference between that and literally calling someone's home phone/blowing up their business ratings
I'm aware it wasn't serious, just using it as an example. If that poster were to see Kennard in person, they most likely wouldn't punch him, just as these UK fans most likely wouldn't carry out their threat if they saw Higgins. My point is that sports can get people very heated & cause them to say/type/do things they don't mean. I've heard viscous threats shouted at players at many venues, the Dome included. I posted a link to the story of SU fans sending death threats to that CMU LB. I recall seeing public tweets from SU fans that included not only death threats but heinous statements regarding the player's mother & sister. Many on this board were already calling for him to be "cheap shotted" or "taken out" when he returns to the Dome for this year's game & I'm sure it'll be revisited come that week.

This particular incident with UK fans is certainly much more egregious & wide-ranging than usual stories of this type but let's not pretend that our fanbase doesn't include it's fair share of lunatics just like any other.

Last edited:
If the NCAA did their due diligence none of this would be happening now. After the 2012 Ohio State/Syracuse game Higgins should never had been allowed to ever ref another Tournament game - simple as that...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom