Stephen Bailey to talk SU Football on Packer & Durham next | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Stephen Bailey to talk SU Football on Packer & Durham next

I think 2018 was a pretty good example of this
the 18 QB room was good but wasn't in the same galaxy as the Johnson/Downing/McNabb. Downing/Johnson would have started at big programs. I love the depth at the position for sure.

the 18 QB room was good but wasn't in the same galaxy as the Johnson/Downing/McNabb. Downing/Johnson would have started at big programs. I love the depth at the position for sure.
You said we finally have 2 QBs that can coherently take snaps for the first time since 95

I said we had 2 QBs who could coherently take snaps in 2018, just 2 years ago

I didn’t say anything about the QB room in 18 being better than 95

You said we finally have 2 QBs that can coherently take snaps for the first time since 95

You are right. I did shift the conversation to something you weren't saying. (Take a lap).

18 was a good qb room.

OL is a concern. Guys need to make the jump and stay healthy.

May be too late in the transfer cycle to get a "Game 1" starter from the portal.

QB depth is good.

Tucker had a good Spring. He'll do well if the OL holds up.

Defense did OK considering they didn't implement the 3-3-5 until Fall camp last year. Poised to take a step forward this year. Mikel Jones will be a leader.

Secondary will be young. Garrett Williams is the real deal. Jahad Carter will also stand out.

Devito will be the starter vs Ohio but Shredder will play.
My history as an SU fan tells me this means we’re screwed unless we have Donovan McNabb or Senior year Dungey.

I know he’s got sources, but with how tight the ship has been I wonder how much of that was him guessing a bit?

There's really nothing there in that recap that isn't public knowledge if you've been paying attention to the program.

And I can tell you as a 247 subscriber the past 7 months, I don't think he has much in the way of sources. Most of his articles, although well written, are recaps or summaries of publically available information or him speculating based on publicly available information. Much of it seems to come from what press conferences there are.

Good session. I think that Dino turns it around this year. I have written this before but it a bowl or gone unless the loses are well played games. If we win 5 and play well he will return. If we win 5 and have blow outs he should be fired. Obviously injuries are a pass but other than that he has a senior heavy team and needs to win.
I hope he is retained.

This Program needs stability.

I hope he is retained.

This Program needs stability.
Yep, *Most coaches are probably worth a win or two in either direction on average but program investment is much more determinant if you fluctuate around a 4 win average or a 6-7 win average or a 8-10 win average

Note, that investment is not just facilities but certainly includes it. It also includes how well a coach can pay his staff, how large the staff is, other infrastructure like health, nutrition, housing, academic support etc.

Unless you have a coach that is an obvious dumpsterfire (GROB for sure, maybe SS) then you are better off investing in your program as much as possible and support the coach you have (while encouraging and paying for upgrades to his team)

Alternatively you can keep blaming a coach for problems created by infrastructure and every 3-5 years you can ‘rebuild’ with a new staff, new systems new recruiting cycles and high school relationships etc. A sure fire way to guarantee disappointment.

(I actually think DFB is worth a win above average over time and we will all get to witness that because he is a good coach and we are simultaneously investing in the program more than the past 30 years)

Last edited:

We have 3 this year dont sleep on JM

We have 3 this year dont sleep on JM
Agreed. I liked him last year and was super frustrated when we kept giving Sexy Rexy snaps over him (even though I love Rex)

Just wanted to add that, although I haven't been a huge Bailey fan in the past, the guy seems to be really coming on. He came across really well in that interview and I'm glad he is covering Cuse

Listen to JW ACCN interview. He closed out his comment on SU football by saying that it is a results based business. The writing is on the wall for Dino. We either see significant improvement or he is gone. He wont get any more passes.
Jake retained Coach Mac when many wanted him gone. It took time, but the Carrier Dome investment paid off.

For a Program like Syracuse University Football, you need to establish and maintain relationships on many levels.

And you need money.

Dino Babers has demonstrated that he can win football games.

I would hang with him.

Jake retained Coach Mac when many wanted him gone. It took time, but the Carrier Dome investment paid off.
not commenting at all on Dino’s status but Mac was a big difference.

In the years just prior to the 11-win season, he went 6-5, 6-5, 7-5, 5-6.

it is a lot easier to keep a guy like that with 3 winning seasons out of 4, a bowl (in the days when there was not an over abundance of bowls), and then the losing season was a game below .500.

A lot more $$$ is involved now and Wildhack is right: it is a results based business. Not sure what JW’s metrics are for success but I am pretty sure that he didn’t come to SU to go down in flames with a coach that he didn’t hire. We all like Dino and want him to turn it around this year, at minimum for the sake of SU football. I can’t imagine that Wildhack would tolerate another losing season though. Dino himself has proven that it is possible to have a really good season at SU, so all the “we can’t win at SU, because…” excuses become moot when evaluating him.

Like any results-based, highly compensated job…you have to be successful. I hope Dino comes out firing on all cylinders this season, gets fans back in the Dome, and keeps his seat nice and cool.

it is a lot easier to keep a guy like that with 3 winning seasons out of 4, a bowl (in the days when there was not an over abundance of bowls), and then the losing season was a game below .500.

A lot more $$$ is involved now and Wildhack is right: it is a results based business. Not sure what JW’s metrics are for success but I am pretty sure that he didn’t come to SU to go down in flames with a coach that he didn’t hire. We all like Dino and want him to turn it around this year, at minimum for the sake of SU football. I can’t imagine that Wildhack would tolerate another losing season though. Dino himself has proven that it is possible to have a really good season at SU, so all the “we can’t win at SU, because…” excuses become moot when evaluating him.

Like any results-based, highly compensated job…you have to be successful. I hope Dino comes out firing on all cylinders this season, gets fans back in the Dome, and keeps his seat nice and cool.
I would counter that Dino has only had one truly awful season...and that was with opt outs, no fans, and players treated like prisoners, in the middle of a pandemic.

The 5-7 season was disappointing, but expectations were so absurdly high because of the incredible 10-3 overachievement the year before. Sad to say, 5-7 is in our wheelhouse these days.

The first two 4-8 seasons, we did what we could. Nobody else in the world would’ve done any better.

For a Program like Syracuse University Football, you need to establish and maintain relationships on many levels.

And you need money.

Dino Babers has demonstrated that he can win football games.

I would hang with him.
i am not totally convinced about that. i believe he has never grasped what has worked here in terms of offense. i admit i am biased, and prefer the dual threat approach and not the gimmick of the go fast offense. it really never did. save for dungey, dino would have been a bigger disaster. he has been stubborn to a fault and has looked like a deer in the headlights.
however i also admit i was and still am a marrone fan-----dino has been mostly out of his league. we will see this year----believe it or not, i want him to succeed, selfishly, for my sake as a long time fan.

i am not totally convinced about that. i believe he has never grasped what has worked here in terms of offense. i admit i am biased, and prefer the dual threat approach and not the gimmick of the go fast offense. it really never did. save for dungey, dino would have been a bigger disaster. he has been stubborn to a fault and has looked like a deer in the headlights.
however i also admit i was and still am a marrone fan-----dino has been mostly out of his league. we will see this year----believe it or not, i want him to succeed, selfishly, for my sake as a long time fan.
A little tougher playing FSU and Miami than USF and Rutgers though.

Marrone had a GREAT year in 2012...the only year we really had an offense in his tenure. Senior QB + strong OL +...going faster/no huddle.

TD will have a very short chance to prove he can win. As much as he was Dino's choice, Dino and Gilbert aren't going to let the season slip away.

I think Dino has recognized what works with the offense and is going back to having a Dual Threat QB. He brought in Shrader who is a dual threat, recruited Lamson who is a dual threat, and before he left recruited Amie who was a dual threat. Morgan has also shown a little running ability as well. He knows how much Dungey helped the offense and OL especially against the Clemsons/FSUs of the league. Having a dual threat and an upper class filled OL is how we're going to get back to scoring a lot of points.

A little tougher playing FSU and Miami than USF and Rutgers though.

Marrone had a GREAT year in 2012...the only year we really had an offense in his tenure. Senior QB + strong OL +...going faster/no huddle.
We rarely play Miami and FSU has been down in recent years. Our Out of conference schedule has also gotten much easier. The only top team we have been playing regularly is Clemson. Truthfully, the old BE performed fairly well against the ACC-They just didn't have the $.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom