Stephen Bailey to talk SU Football on Packer & Durham next | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Stephen Bailey to talk SU Football on Packer & Durham next

I would counter that Dino has only had one truly awful season...and that was with opt outs, no fans, and players treated like prisoners, in the middle of a pandemic.

The 5-7 season was disappointing, but expectations were so absurdly high because of the incredible 10-3 overachievement the year before. Sad to say, 5-7 is in our wheelhouse these days.

The first two 4-8 seasons, we did what we could. Nobody else in the world would’ve done any better.

Dino's biggest mistake IMO was not being more aggressive with OL transfers in his first two seasons. At the QB spot he got a bit burned by Amie transferring and the OL has obviously had injuries. But the OL was putrid for most of that 2019 season, his fourth season. There were a bunch of issues with that team but if the OL was simply average instead of awful they easily go bowling.

i am not totally convinced about that. i believe he has never grasped what has worked here in terms of offense. i admit i am biased, and prefer the dual threat approach and not the gimmick of the go fast offense. it really never did. save for dungey, dino would have been a bigger disaster. he has been stubborn to a fault and has looked like a deer in the headlights.
however i also admit i was and still am a marrone fan-----dino has been mostly out of his league. we will see this year----believe it or not, i want him to succeed, selfishly, for my sake as a long time fan.
I was a huge Marrone fan.

The turnaround he engineered was remarkable. I was crushed that he left.

I don't think Babers matches Doug, but I also don't see Dino as "out of his league."

Not at all.

And, I can't use last year as a measuring stick.

I was a huge Marrone fan.

The turnaround he engineered was remarkable. I was crushed that he left.

I don't think Babers matches Doug, but I also don't see Dino as "out of his league."

Not at all.

And, I can't use last year as a measuring stick.

Agree with all of this. But as I said earlier, the play on the field needs to improve from 2019. That was the year Dino decided to replace both coordinators. That’s a bold move.

I generally agree on stability (look at Wake Forest) but changing both coordinators in the same offseason is anything but stable. I really do hope (and think), we’ll see positive returns from it. If we don’t, it’s going to be really hard to defend.

2019 was just a killer for us, coming off a great year, only needing to beat what turned out to be a hideous Maryland team and we would have hosted Gameday. Having a staff of mostly blah recruiters(minus Swag Daddy of course) especially Martin, doomed us at OL and QB in particular. We have better recruiters now and I think better position coaches. Really hope this year is a 6-7 win season and that DB is ultimately successful

Syracuse cant change certain things.
What it can change are facilities, non conference schedule and coaches.
SU needs to hire and retain solid coaches. JW has proven he will do that in the contract he gave Dino.
Dino finally hired a real OL coach. Hopefully a QB coach as well.
If he fails it will because of his inability or stubborn reluctance to hire a better staff.
There is absolutely no reason why SU shouldn't win a minimum of 6 games a year now that the University has stepped up.

OL was a problem before last year, and wasn’t just personnel driven. New coach, a lot of returners, better depth… these things are all positive.

I’m optimistic. Single biggest problem we’ve had in Dino’s era. That ends in 2021.

OL was a problem before last year, and wasn’t just personnel driven. New coach, a lot of returners, better depth… these things are all positive.

I’m optimistic. Single biggest problem we’ve had in Dino’s era. That ends in 2021.
Its impossible to be a good team without a good oline. It doesn't have to be all league but it has to be average or better. Buffalo NDSU Kent State Liberty and the entire ACC not to mention over 70 other teams had Olines rated higher. Thats not just talent its coaching. Cav was a train wreck. Period.
Hopefully the new guy is a significant improvement.

Its impossible to be a good team without a good oline. It doesn't have to be all league but it has to be average or better. Buffalo NDSU Kent State Liberty and the entire ACC not to mention over 70 other teams had Olines rated higher. Thats not just talent its coaching. Cav was a train wreck. Period.
Hopefully the new guy is a significant improvement.
Agree, although its hard to believe that a career O line coach with success all of a sudden forgot how to coach. He knows O line play but I think he's at a point of his career where he's not willing to adjust. Success can lead to stubborness. Our lineman are not that bad. They just werent developed. Collectively Cav, the o line and the scheme was bad for each other. Cav just didnt mesh with the staff and players. It caused a lot of disfunction. It got to the point where lineman lost fundamentals and basic principles. Mainly with pass pro and blitz pick ups. Schmidt will bring a new energy and focus.

Agree, although its hard to believe that a career O line coach with success all of a sudden forgot how to coach. He knows O line play but I think he's at a point of his career where he's not willing to adjust. Success can lead to stubborness. Our lineman are not that bad. They just werent developed. Collectively Cav, the o line and the scheme was bad for each other. Cav just didnt mesh with the staff and players. It caused a lot of disfunction. It got to the point where lineman lost fundamentals and basic principles. Mainly with pass pro and blitz pick ups. Schmidt will bring a new energy and focus.

I still vividly recall the Nebraska fans who posted here right after we picked up Cav that they were glad he’d moved on, and wished us luck.

Cav seems like a super nice guy, but I can’t help but feel we’re going to be much better off with Schmidt coaching there now.

He managed to recruit & develop several OL from SDSU to the NFL.
Cav went o-fer in that regard here during his tenure. That’s very telling.

Oh, and us leading the universe in sacks given up. :rolleyes:

I still vividly recall the Nebraska fans who posted here right after we picked up Cav that they were glad he’d moved on, and wished us luck.

Cav seems like a super nice guy, but I can’t help but feel we’re going to be much better off with Schmidt coaching there now.

Facts

Dino needs to win this year. Period. The schedule supports him this year. That excuse is not available. If we don’t get to 5 wins I see him leaving. He’s 60 too. This isn’t Mac in 1986. If he was 45-50 I’d maybe be more open to another lost season if something is brewing. I like Dino so I’m hoping he has a 5 year run now of 3-4 bowls.

I think the key is the all gas no brake philosophy. My issue w Dino is the game management and the speed aspect to the game planning. It hasn’t worked. Need to find some equilibrium w offense and clock killing bc it ultimately derails our defense w their amount of time having to play.

BC and Pitt have had less valleys and that should be our philosophy too. No reason we can’t be a near 500 team yearly.

Robinson was a nice guy. Doug is a . Hopefully Cav finds AZ a better fit.

Just wanted to add that, although I haven't been a huge Bailey fan in the past, the guy seems to be really coming on. He came across really well in that interview and I'm glad he is covering Cuse
The only way he stays employed is to get and keep subscribers. When 24/7 has a sale I suggest joining. BTW, you get a free subscription to Paramount plus and CBS all access too.

Last edited:
Jake retained Coach Mac when many wanted him gone. It took time, but the Carrier Dome investment paid off.

For a Program like Syracuse University Football, you need to establish and maintain relationships on many levels.

And you need money.

Dino Babers has demonstrated that he can win football games.

I would hang with him.
I think you are right but I still think he needs to win at least 5 this season.

Yeah, we didn't have healthy guys last season but in terms of talent it should be serviceable. All of our guys had offers to play at comparable programs.

TD will have a very short chance to prove he can win. As much as he was Dino's choice, Dino and Gilbert aren't going to let the season slip away.
I agree...if TD starts out 0-2 we'll see a new QB start for Albany. These are two must win games and going 0-2 will have Dino's back against the wall.

If Shredder starts and goes 0-2 I think he would be benched too.

A 1-1 start is a push.

I think both will play though. However the 2nd string might only get very limited action.

I agree...if TD starts out 0-2 we'll see a new QB start for Albany. These are two must win games and going 0-2 will have Dino's back against the wall.

A 1-1 start is a push.

I think both will play though. However the 2nd string might only get very limited action.
Yup. It will benefit us to play both early on. RIght now Ohio won't know who plays, when they will play and what plays that will be added for Schrader.

A 1-1 start is a push.

One of the big plays in the bowl game was Dungey running for his life. Then Moe came back towards the line of scrimmage, and Dungey shoveled the ball to him for a 42 yard gain.

The only way he stays employed is to get and keep subscribers. When 24/7 has a sale I suggest joining. BTW, you get a free subscription to Paramount plus and CBS all access too.
Say what? What's the price of a subscription? (I could look it up, but why do it when I can just annoy someone and ask)? :)

I remember the Nebraska fan input, but I still think a lot of our OL problems would have been there irrespective of the OL coach. The line basically needed a complete rebuild of the 2 deep due to issues over the prior 3-4 years before he ever stepped foot on campus. Career ending injuries, recruits that didn’t pan out, imbalanced recruiting numbers year by year, etc. Dungey’s athleticism helped to hide those problems but with Tommy not being as mobile it just put a larger magnifying glass on it.

Jake retained Coach Mac when many wanted him gone. It took time, but the Carrier Dome investment paid off.

For a Program like Syracuse University Football, you need to establish and maintain relationships on many levels.

And you need money.

Dino Babers has demonstrated that he can win football games.

I would hang with him.
Word is six wins or gone.

Syracuse cant change certain things.
What it can change are facilities, non conference schedule and coaches.
SU needs to hire and retain solid coaches. JW has proven he will do that in the contract he gave Dino.
Dino finally hired a real OL coach. Hopefully a QB coach as well.
If he fails it will because of his inability or stubborn reluctance to hire a better staff.
There is absolutely no reason why SU shouldn't win a minimum of 6 games a year now that the University has stepped up.
How does the budget for assistant coaches compares to other conference schools?

How does the recruiting budget at Syracuse compare to other ACC schools?

syracuse is a tough place to recruit to. Is it. Tough place for assistant coaches to live?

A 1-1 start is a push.

TD will not be there for 0-2. I suspect that if he does not move the ball in the first half of Ohio he’s gone. DB knows it’s a must win season. TD will have the shortest leash ever.

with Syracuse we always will have decent first stringers that can compete with really anyone but the bluest of blue blood football factories. The key is keeping them upright and not upsetting the limited depth.

I'm bullish on this team purely on having two QBs that can seemingly take snaps in a coherent fashion. That to me is something we haven't been able to do since honestly the 95 camp when we had the McNabb, Downing, Johnson room.
Yes, you nailed it. SYR's first 22 are usually able to compete with most teams. Where we lose it is when the 2nd, 3rd and 4th teamers are forced to play. They are not up to the level of other teams' backups. You also see it in the 4th quarters, our starters are worn down from playing so much and not getting some in -game rest or breathers because the backups are not ready. For as bad as the team was last year, we were in most games for 3 quarters. It was the 4th quarters where the dam broke and we got blown out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom