Class of 2015 - Stephen Thompson, Jr. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Stephen Thompson, Jr.

There is no doubt that the staff knows about him and is keeping tabs on him. If he becomes a high major caliber player, Syracuse will be involved. The problem is, he is 2015, and we already have our eyes on Isaiah Briscoe at that same position. Briscoe, at this point, is considered a much better prospect.
First...three years is an eternity for a bball player's growth in skill and height...and second the PAC 12 and UCONN are high majors...just saying.

First...three years is an eternity for a bball player's growth in skill and height...and second the PAC 12 and UCONN are high majors...just saying.
I understand all of this, however Briscoe has been to the campus several times and it is believed to be a foregone conclusion that he comes to SU. Interest from high majors does not mean he will get offers. I am sure he is among a great number of players being evaluated by high major teams. If he grows to 6'-7" or 6'-8" as Kyle Anderson did, then sure, his lack of athleticism (which could also change, but is not evident at this point) may not hinder his recruitment. He sounds like a young player with a VERY high basketball IQ and developed skill set, but lacks athleticism. And we all know that athleticism is coveted above IQ at the highest level, right or wrong.

Maybe they're not worried because they know Hop can just get on the phone to dad and say, "Yo Stevie, remember all of those times you dunked on me in practice while I tried to take a charge..."

I understand all of this, however Briscoe has been to the campus several times and it is believed to be a foregone conclusion that he comes to SU. Interest from high majors does not mean he will get offers. I am sure he is among a great number of players being evaluated by high major teams. If he grows to 6'-7" or 6'-8" as Kyle Anderson did, then sure, his lack of athleticism (which could also change, but is not evident at this point) may not hinder his recruitment. He sounds like a young player with a VERY high basketball IQ and developed skill set, but lacks athleticism. And we all know that athleticism is coveted above IQ at the highest level, right or wrong.
good response!

His father was quoted last spring saying "If Syracuse offers he is going" And I doubt we only take one guard in 2015 the way things are going plus Briscoe could be on a one and done track if he keeps developing.

Few people could match Stevie Thompson's athleticism. He was 6-3 and could jump out of the gym. I saw him do a 360 and dunk it one day. Not an easy feat for someone that short.

Highlight vid of Stevie Jr, jersey #82. Wayyy different game than his pops. Has that Andre Miller old man game feel to him.

Highlight vid of Stevie Jr, jersey #82. Wayyy different game than his pops. Has that Andre Miller old man game feel to him.

Its impossible to gauge the level of competition in that video. Those guys all look like they're about the same height as him [6-2 or so].

Definitely plays different than his dad--decidedly below the rim in those clips. Didn't get a great feel for his handle. Shot mechanics on his jump shot seems slow [although he's obviously a much better shooter than his pops].

Maybe they're not worried because they know Hop can just get on the phone to dad and say, "Yo Stevie, remember all of those times you dunked on me in practice while I tried to take a charge..."
. . . . how would Stevie Jr. like to come across town and play for me". :)

According to Stevie Thompson Sr, he wasn't very athletic until his junior year of high school. That's when he developed his athleticism that made him a good college player.

He also said his son's athleticism is starting to catch up to his skill/IQ.
I think he is being modest. If I am remembering correctly Stevie was a national Top 10 recruit when he came to the Cuse. Hard to get rated that high late in the game, especially back then when there was no internet to spead the word fast on up & comers.

I think he is being modest. If I am remembering correctly Stevie was a national Top 10 recruit when he came to the Cuse. Hard to get rated that high late in the game, especially back then when there was no internet to spead the word fast on up & comers.
The other side of that is that kids weren't being evaluated nearly as young as they are now, so if he made a splash at some major summer camps between his junior and senior year, that may have led to his high ranking.

I don't appreciate what you're implying here.
OK, how about this. "Hey Stevie, this is JB, we have this vacancy in our coaching staff . . . . "

You either are athletic or youre not, it doesnt just show up one day, youre born with it.

Agree 100%.. if it comes with experience or age, it isn't athleticism, he doesn't look like a high 1A prospect to me.

Agree 100%.. if it comes with experience or age, it isn't athleticism, he doesn't look like a high 1A prospect to me.
It may not be about experience, but age can certainly affect it. Teenagers all develop physically at different rates. I could barely touch a backboard at the end of 8th grade. At the end of 9th I could grab rim. I had only grown an inch or two over the course of that one year so it was more because of my body developing and me jumping higher than it was height. I knew one kid that was athletically awkward, couldn't jump, and sucked at basketball until he was a junior in highschool. That's when he had a sudden growth spurt of about 6 inches, his body physically filled out, and he was jumping out of the gym. Adolescence is a crazy time, physically.

OK, how about this. "Hey Stevie, this is JB, we have this vacancy in our coaching staff . . . . "
If the boy can play, and he wants to play for dad, then I like your implication.

Here goes a recent evaluation on Stevie Jr by tos from this weekend. Seems like he's developing into a good prospect and could be a good option if things go south with Briscoe.

"The son of former Syracuse star Stevie Thompson, Stephen is a very good prospect in his own right. He’s got a very nice stroke to beyond three-point range, a good feel and very nice approach to the game. He’s improved his ability to score off the dribble in the last year. He’s got a somewhat slight frame, and he’s not yet the athlete that his dad was, but he’s still got two more years of high school to go. He’s one to watch in 2015."

I remember all of the disparaging comments which were made about Andy Rautins prior to and upon his arrival on the hill. I don't think there are many who would dispute the value Andy brought to the program. 2 years is a huge amount of time developmentally for a high school kid. I say any advantage you have in the area of recruiting should be utilized and keeping an eye on Stevie Jr.'s development would certainly be the prudent thing to do.
I'd love to see him in Orange even if it means the endless commentator drivel of "He is the son of former Syracuse great Stevie Thompson who could literally jump out of the gym!"

I remember all of the disparaging comments which were made about Andy Rautins prior too and upon his arrival on the hill. I don't think there are many who would dispute the value Andy brought to the program. 2 years is a huge amount of time developmentally for a high school kid. I say any advantage you have in the area of recruiting should be utilized and keeping an eye on Stevie Jr.'s development would certainly be the prudent thing to do.
I'd love to see him in Orange even if it means the endless commentator drivel of "He is the son of former Syracuse great Stevie Thompson who could literally jump out of the gym!"
The funning thing is his write up reads like a young Andy Rautins to me. I loved his father's game but would have traded some of those hops for a reliable jump shot in a heartbeat! At the end of the day its just 2 points.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

The funning thing is his write up reads like a young Andy Rautins to me. I loved his father's game but would have traded some of those hops for a reliable jump shot in a heartbeat!

The funning thing is his write up reads like a young Andy Rautins to me. I loved his father's game but would have traded some of those hops for a reliable jump shot in a heartbeat! At the end of the day its just 2 points.

So true but often overlooked.

Forgot to mention that Stevie Jr has earned an invite to the Reebok camp in July at Philly U. This is the same camp where the staff watched Roberson give Jermaine "Angel Soft" Lawrence the bizzness.
:)
I hope we get to see this in the next few days again. They will face each other at the Mary Kline.
Don't break a nail, dude! If you do, Beast will swallow you whole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom