STH Seat Bump - Expanding Student Section/Overflow | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

STH Seat Bump - Expanding Student Section/Overflow

I read one of the excuses for raising prices was 7 home games. So will they lower the ticket prices when we only have 6 home games?

I read one of the excuses for raising prices was 7 home games. So will they lower the ticket prices when we only have 6 home games?

probably not, it was a factor but not the only reason they raised prices as they were way undercharging everybody for years as the last price point was from back in bigeast days

yeah.. the lose the ND game and lower prices that would generate some good will after the bump in price. not sure it happens though. just having the non ND game on the schedule should be enough to get Bees money for 4 more Dome dogs

For sure. This is why I'm stressing the messaging so much. Save the poor ticket reps too who will be inundated with calls as well. It's called being proactive, not reactive, Syracuse.

It wouldn't have been hard to do the following (I will use A level as the example):

Dear STH,

Last season the ticket price was kept the same despite the additional home game. This season tickets will be adjusted for that extra game. Additionally with Notre Dame on the schedule we have raised ticket prices across the board. Your section will be discounted in comparison to individual game tickets but there still is an increase. Next season the tickets will be adjusted to a lower price. This season your tickets will go from $500 to $650 each.

Then in 2023 go down to $85/game ($595), 2024 $87.50/game ($615), 2025 $90/game ($630), 2026 $92.50/game ($650), 2027 $95/game ($665), 2028 $97.50/game ($685), 2029 $99/game ($695). Gradual increases are not as noticeable as a 30% bump.

Doing this would annoy STHs but it wouldn't anger them. Annoyance goes away. Anger stays with you. Going from $500 to $650 with no messaging to soften the blow is not very smart, especially in our current economic environment.

It wouldn't have been hard to do the following (I will use A level as the example):

Dear STH,

Last season the ticket price was kept the same despite the additional home game. This season tickets will be adjusted for that extra game. Additionally with Notre Dame on the schedule we have raised ticket prices across the board. Your section will be discounted in comparison to individual game tickets but there still is an increase. Next season the tickets will be adjusted to a lower price. This season your tickets will go from $500 to $650 each.

Then in 2023 go down to $85/game ($595), 2024 $87.50/game ($615), 2025 $90/game ($630), 2026 $92.50/game ($650), 2027 $95/game ($665), 2028 $97.50/game ($685), 2029 $99/game ($695). Gradual increases are not as noticeable as a 30% bump.

Doing this would annoy STHs but it wouldn't anger them. Annoyance goes away. Anger stays with you. Going from $500 to $650 with no messaging to soften the blow is not very smart, especially in our current economic environment.

Or going from $125 to $225

Or going from $225 to $500

Those are the two problem areas here…I’ve been in contact with Eric…the one who is in charge of this…and to be honest with you right now it doesn’t seem as that Syracuse thinks that there is an issue with this…

Told me he guaranteed that the dome would be sold out for multiple games this season and I had to laugh at that.

He did offer me a couple things to make the pain a little less (free tickets to games next season) and I have counter offered with a few things. I’ll keep everyone updated.

I just don’t think it’s fair that some sections got an 80% or in the case of people like bees who have over a 100% price increase when you have sections that had a 0% increase or even went down.

If everyone had a small increase it would have covered it so that other sections wouldn’t have seen such a HUGE price increase.

I thought that the more time away from it the less I would be upset. But the longer it is, the more angry I am finding myself. I feel like for people in these sections that got burned Syracuse doesn’t really care. I’m probably out on season tickets and it upsets me. But I don’t like feeling taken advantage of and that’s what I feel like Syracuse has done.

Dear STH,

you mean the current inflationary economic environment? yeah, this doesn't happen at all...

Those are the two problem areas here…I’ve been in contact with Eric…the one who is in charge of this…and to be honest with you right now it doesn’t seem as that Syracuse thinks that there is an issue with this…

Told me he guaranteed that the dome would be sold out for multiple games this season and I had to laugh at that.

He did offer me a couple things to make the pain a little less (free tickets to games next season) and I have counter offered with a few things. I’ll keep everyone updated.

I just don’t think it’s fair that some sections got an 80% or in the case of people like bees who have over a 100% price increase when you have sections that had a 0% increase or even went down.

If everyone had a small increase it would have covered it so that other sections wouldn’t have seen such a HUGE price increase.

I thought that the more time away from it the less I would be upset. But the longer it is, the more angry I am finding myself. I feel like for people in these sections that got burned Syracuse doesn’t really care. I’m probably out on season tickets and it upsets me. But I don’t like feeling taken advantage of and that’s what I feel like Syracuse has done.

They cannot justify having some people going from $225 down to $125 and in the SAME section have people go from $225 to $500.

I cannot believe he told you that about being sold out. Notre Dame might sell out but if we or they are not very good by the time the game is played, actual attendance will be closer to 45k than 50k. We averaged 32,461 last year but are getting a 2nd sell out this year? In 2018 we had a similar schedule (Louisville, Wagner, UNC vs UVA, NC State, FSU, but UConn vs Purdue will be quite different) and we only averaged 37,043. There is no way those first 5 games come even close to a sellout. I doubt any are over 40k (NC State if ranked and we are 3-1 will be over). If we beat Louisville and Purdue is ranked, that game might come close to 45k but that is well below a sellout.

Edit

There are people in my section who are casual fans and go to games as something to do. Every year they say that they might not be back next season. Making their tickets $300 more this year likely keeps them away.

There are also people in my section who go to 2-3 games a year, and try to sell the other games. Usually their seats are empty. They can pay $300 more this year or instead of paying $1000 net they can get individual tix for the 2-3 games they attend and save a bunch of money.

I think SU is underestimating how many causal fans we have, who will be driven away by this. We do not have a strong football culture. Heck if we didn't make the changes we did to the coaching staff, this price hike would have made me drop my season tickets.

Last edited:

Totally agree. I keep bouncing between not renewing and getting single game tickets for a handful of games or moving to a different section that’s cheaper.

Totally agree. I keep bouncing between not renewing and getting single game tickets for a handful of games or moving to a different section that’s cheaper.

Yup a lot easier to pick and choose what games to go to. Also a lot cheaper too.

I brought up the issue with single game tickets being sold last season below what I paid for seasons.

They are certainly, in my humble opinion, shooting themselves in the foot….

At this point, probably would take a miracle for me to keep my season seats…..

For anyone who knows and now for those who don't, I was in the ticketing office for 3 years. I have seen a few different heads talk about sell outs and to see another one and guarantee multiple sell outs is just hilarious. ND MAYBE, but I'll never trust the announced attendance numbers because I know better.

I've had season tickets since I left but didn't last year, and am still undecided for '22 (likely will grab a few though)

However I completely understand your frustration because even as someone who doesn't currently have seats it infuriates me. Messaging is SO important and they're treating it like this isn't an issue at all.

It is GREAT that there are 99 and 125 options - but that's irrelevant in a lot of the increased areas. They cared more to push the narrative about "not pricing people out of the building" yet pissing someone off isn't going to get them to move sections, it's going to get them to move to their sectional and watch from home.

For anyone who knows and now for those who don't, I was in the ticketing office for 3 years. I have seen a few different heads talk about sell outs and to see another one and guarantee multiple sell outs is just hilarious. ND MAYBE, but I'll never trust the announced attendance numbers because I know better.

I've had season tickets since I left but didn't last year, and am still undecided for '22 (likely will grab a few though)

However I completely understand your frustration because even as someone who doesn't currently have seats it infuriates me. Messaging is SO important and they're treating it like this isn't an issue at all.

It is GREAT that there are 99 and 125 options - but that's irrelevant in a lot of the increased areas. They cared more to push the narrative about "not pricing people out of the building" yet pissing someone off isn't going to get them to move sections, it's going to get them to move to their sectional and watch from home.

Yup and it’s looking like that is what I’m going to do.

I loved my season seats. But I don’t have to have the commitment to go to every game I can buy a single game tickets here and there. That’s when he told me he guaranteed a couple sell outs and I said, yeah maybe Notre Dame and that game doesn’t do it for me. I’d rather see Clemson over ND.

His message over and over was “well we can find you seats in another section priced where you want.”

I probably sound like a spoiled brat but I don’t want to sit in those other sections. I’ve made friends with the people in my section, I enjoy the people I sit around, we’ve been together for years. I also understand the price did need to go up, but soaking it all up in one hit? Not cool…especially when other sections either went down or stayed the same…

Also, a little infuriating that yesterday they told me “if there’s anything we can do to get you to re-commit let us know.” So I sent a message yesterday afternoon asking if they would cover my three seat backs and cushions and if they could at least do that, I would re-up right away.

It’s now been almost 24hrs and I’ve yet to be contacted…not even a “let me check on it” or “no that won’t work”

It’s making me feel certainly feel even less valued as a season ticket holder than I was previously….

Of course they could be overwhelmed so I will give them until tomorrow before giving up hope but….

Don't punish the players for pricing decisions made by the AD. Find new seats and support the program (though I understand why lots of ppl are upset).

Yup and it’s looking like that is what I’m going to do.

I loved my season seats. But I don’t have to have the commitment to go to every game I can buy a single game tickets here and there. That’s when he told me he guaranteed a couple sell outs and I said, yeah maybe Notre Dame and that game doesn’t do it for me. I’d rather see Clemson over ND.

His message over and over was “well we can find you seats in another section priced where you want.”

I probably sound like a spoiled brat but I don’t want to sit in those other sections. I’ve made friends with the people in my section, I enjoy the people I sit around, we’ve been together for years. I also understand the price did need to go up, but soaking it all up in one hit? Not cool…especially when other sections either went down or stayed the same…

You're a fan, you're allowed to be spoiled and whiny and everything that comes along with it. Your seats, your section, your tailgate, etc - all of that matters.

Just for curiosity I wanted to see what the right side of 320 (Bees' affected area) has been priced at over the years. SU has a bigger problem than just this section, but for continuity..

2015 - "Preferred C" - $475/t, Above Row M - $225/t
2016 - "Preferred C" - $475/t, Above Row M - $225/t
2017 - All seats, $225/t
2018 - All seats, $225/t
2019 - All seats, $225/t ($150 ticket, $75 donation)
2020 - COVID
2021 - All seats, $225/t ($150 ticket, $75 donation)
2022 - (estimating) 1st 12 rows, $500, next 8 rows $350, next 8 rows $300, the rest $125

Make that make sense... anyone? Lol.

You're a fan, you're allowed to be spoiled and whiny and everything that comes along with it. Your seats, your section, your tailgate, etc - all of that matters.

Just for curiosity I wanted to see what the right side of 320 (Bees' affected area) has been priced at over the years. SU has a bigger problem than just this section, but for continuity..

2017 - All seats, $225/t
2018 - All seats, $225/t
2020 - COVID
2022 - (estimating) 1st 12 rows, $500, next 8 rows $350, next 8 rows $300, the rest $125

One caveat. Prior to 2019, the donation made covered both sports. Also, my records don’t show paying $475 in 2015/16. The ticket itself was $205. The donation which covered both sports, was $385/395. So I’m not sure what the $475 is.

2017 - All seats, $225/t
2018 - All seats, $225/t
2020 - COVID

$225 for that section, lower aisles was a steal. SU screwed up making them that low. I can understand wanting to get the section back up to where it belongs, but you cannot do so in one giant swoop.

Looking at the upper sidelines map they probably should have done:

A- $600
B- $500
C- $400
D- $300
non premium $200

The gaps between sections are too large. Instead of $100 gaps we have $150, $150, $50, $175. It makes zero sense to sit in D. You can either pay $50 more and move up, or $175 less and move back. D level is the worst value given that none of the seats are great.

Edit

This pricing makes it impossible to up sell. If you are in the $125 seats there is no way you move up 10 rows to get $300 seats. Same can be said for the $350 seats moving up 10 rows to the $500 seats, and for the $500 seats moving 10 rows up to the $650 seats. There needs to be a value added and 10 rows is not worth $150-$175 for the same section. Heck moving over one section close to the 50 isn't even worth those gaps. So the lower bowl is out of whack too.

Last edited:
One caveat. Prior to 2019, the donation made covered both sports. Also, my records don’t show paying $475 in 2015/16. The ticket itself was $205. The donation which covered both sports, was $385/395. So I’m not sure what the $475 is.

You're right - the $475 was if you were FB only. I believe having basketball preferred C meant football was the cost of the ticket + maybe $10? in additional donation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom