Still don't understand why SU didn't do this | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Still don't understand why SU didn't do this

It's akin to the NCAA banning hashtags on the field. As gaudy as some may think they are, Twitter has never been more popular and all the NCAA is doing is curbing its own popularity by outlawing social media hashtags.

Someone who knows someone at SU should tell them that:

1) YouTube is the 2nd largest search engine in the world - processing more than 3 BILLION searches a month
2) It's larger than Bing, AOL, Yahoo, and Ask.com COMBINED
3) There are nearly 1 billion unique visitors a month - with 1 in 2 internet users visiting YouTube monthly
4) YouTube reaches more US Adults ages 18-34 than any cable network (including ESPN)

All that noted, Syracuse NEEDS to put highlight videos on YouTube - ASAP

EDIT: Forgot one... 5) Visitors view 200 Million HOURS of video every day or 6 Billion hours a month

You want 16, 17, & 18 year-olds to get excited about the program? You want them to want to play for SU?

Then let them visit YouTube highlights and share them on their social networks (Twitter/Facebook/Tumblr, etc.)

This seems like a no-brainer.

I'm not sure if YouTube allows outside links to be posted, but if so, they could use it to drive additional traffic to the SU athletics site. If not, they could embed a "more highlights on Orange All Access at suathletics.com" message directly into the video that they post.

Google "Syracuse Football Highlights" and then click "Video"

Not ONE video from Syracuse Athletics site shows up on page 1, page 2, page 3, or page 4 (I quite on page 4)

In fact, many of the videos on pages 2, 3 & 4 were HIGH SCHOOL highlights or clips posted by our opponents.

This is a MASSIVE fail on the part of the athletic department.

Though here's the thing - SU Athletics could actually use YouTube to drive the traffic TO THEM.

It's arrogant and foolish in 2013 to think their page is bigger/more important than YouTube.

Someone who knows someone at SU should tell them that:

1) YouTube is the 2nd largest search engine in the world - processing more than 3 BILLION searches a month
2) It's larger than Bing, AOL, Yahoo, and Ask.com COMBINED
3) There are nearly 1 billion unique visitors a month - with 1 in 2 internet users visiting YouTube monthly
4) YouTube reaches more US Adults ages 18-34 than any cable network (including ESPN)

All that noted, Syracuse NEEDS to put highlight videos on YouTube - ASAP

EDIT: Forgot one... 5) Visitors view 200 Million HOURS of video every day or 6 Billion hours a month

You want 16, 17, & 18 year-olds to get excited about the program? You want them to want to play for SU?

Then let them visit YouTube highlights and share them on their social networks (Twitter/Facebook/Tumblr, etc.)

This seems like a no-brainer.

And don't tell me being on YouTube wouldn't help sell tix too... Because it would. Ned in accounting sees an awesome highlight while screwing around at work. He then emails his buddies and suggests they head up to the Dome next weekend.
Can someone please forward this to J. Poles. Marketing may not be his primary responsibility, but it essentially ties into everything in the football program from recruiting to fund raising to ticket sales, and he has the ear of the athletic department, at least in the football wing.

Why doesn't SUAthletics just post videos on YT on one account and embed the videos on the site?

The video count would be consolidated, help with search engine results and they could tag/annotate the heck out of it to drive people back to SUAthletics.

I agree with everything being said here.

In addition suathletics.com is a pain in the butt to navigate. Honestly I stay away from that site and discourage friends from going there. I'm amazed at the general incompetence SU shows in the tech department.

I know a 22 year old guy working in their IT department who could fix most of their problems, but they're too blind to see the talent that they already have working up there.

His duties involve fixing problems with student's personal computers and keeping the network running. His skills could be put to much better use.

Why doesn't SUAthletics just post videos on YT on one account and embed the videos on the site?

The video count would be consolidated, help with search engine results and they could tag/annotate the heck out of it to drive people back to SUAthletics.

Because that would make WAY TOO much sense.

We are a great communications school but we don't focus enough on NEW communication mediums. Social media isn't the wave of the future, it's already here and we're sorely lacking. As others have pointed out, adding guys like Eric White is a huge step in the right direction, but that's one sport and only one forum with which to communicate information to fans and recruits.

There should be SUA specific YouTube, Instagram, etc, accounts that are easily accessible and feature a ton of great content. It really is disappointing.

Because you haven't told them yet. I get the sense that's the only way they're going to 'think' of that idea.

Don't send it to Roger though. Or if you do, don't include your home address.

We are a great communications school but we don't focus enough on NEW communication mediums. Social media isn't the wave of the future, it's already here and we're sorely lacking. As others have pointed out, adding guys like Eric White is a huge step in the right direction, but that's one sport and only one forum with which to communicate information to fans and recruits.

There should be SUA specific YouTube, Instagram, etc, accounts that are easily accessible and feature a ton of great content. It really is disappointing.

There is an SU Athletics YouTube channel already- http://www.youtube.com/user/suathletics. Football uses their Facebook site, but I can't tell you why none of those videos are also uploaded to this YouTube channel.

Don't tell me you've all forgotten that SU Athletics has two twitter handles. This was the sports trade of the summer. http://www.nunesmagician.com/2013/7...tanford-twitter-handle-trade-suathletics-cuse

Two months into the COO/Executive Sr. Assoc AD era and nothing appears to be changing at all. Looks like DG's hired another suit to occupy an empty office.