Storming the court | Syracusefan.com

Storming the court

Is it ok to storm the court?

• We’re Syracuse. Such tomfoolery is beneath us as a program.

Votes: 24 16.9%
  • It’s ok but only if we knock off a top five (or top one) program

Votes: 78 54.9%
  • F@&$ YES YOLOOOOOOO

Votes: 40 28.2%

• Total voters

HOFCeluck

Living Legend
I’m sure it’s been discussed before, but it’s August, so here I am.

Where do you stand? I’m also interested in where you came down on the “stand and clap” issue. I’m definitely team YOLO but I can’t stand clapping.

I dont really care anymore.

I used to feel like storming court or field should be reserved for a truly unexpected win against an elite team. But then it got to a point where it seemed like every single year students felt entitled to storm something once and would find the best opportunity. Which at the time I felt made us look small.

Now, given we really aren't (at least for.now) one of rhe elites, I really don't care.

That said what Clemson does for football is silly.

Yes we’ll limit to students to keep it simple.

I’m team Big Win.

If we go YOLO, then we’re no better than Clemson Football, who “storm” the field after every. single. home. win.

That’s still a WTAF?!?? thing if ya ask me.

Edited to add: Freak beat me to it.

Generally think it’s for monumental wins where the excitement in the building is just off the charts. The worse our program is, generally the more wins might feel that way? I don’t remember many court stormings in like 86-91 or 2010-14 years?

Also, I think Early-mid 00’s SU students were the outlier and were so ridiculous with how often they stormed. Beat pretty good teams and programs that we were better then…let’s storm! Lol.

Have fun, storm the court, find a lady and carry her on your way out.

The only part of it I don't like is people that get in the faces of the opposing players or coaches. Let them off the court safely and without that hassle.

There’s a good joke here, but I won’t pile on the OP.

I remember storming the court in 07 against Georgetown.

I think it should be left for rivals or games against top opponents.

That Syracuse fans storm the court is generally a reflection of how far the program has fallen.
We should expect to win every game as we used to.

The one exception is a win over G-town.
The win in the '06 BE Tourney, for example, was so great we should still be storming.
(I doubt they'd prosecute in Manhattan these days).

That Syracuse fans storm the court is generally a reflection of how far the program has fallen.
We should expect to win every game as we used to.

The one exception is a win over G-town.
The win in the '06 BE Tourney, for example, was so great we should still be storming.
(I doubt they'd prosecute in Manhattan these days).

FWIW we stormed the court after we beat Missouri in 2002 when they were “only” ranked in the top 15.

Stop the half-hearted clapping; no court storming

And win some games

Generally think it’s for monumental wins where the excitement in the building is just off the charts. The worse our program is, generally the more wins might feel that way? I don’t remember many court stormings in like 86-91 or 2010-14 years?

Also, I think Early-mid 00’s SU students were the outlier and were so ridiculous with how often they stormed. Beat pretty good teams and programs that we were better then…let’s storm! Lol.

We were drunk as hell and had a lot of fun... mostly pointing back to 03 to be fair.

I have no issue with it for the new staff - bigger wins of course should be the reason but a buzzer bester or two is ok too. Let the kids enjoy having the dome being rabid and fun.

Obviously if the team exceeds expectation and is ranked- maybe some more moderation.

I’m sure it’s been discussed before, but it’s August, so here I am.

Where do you stand? I’m also interested in where you came down on the “stand and clap” issue. I’m definitely team YOLO but I can’t stand clapping.
I say we are above that for anything but a championship. A Natty, of course its ok

Big Rivalries and big upsets...outside of that, act like you have been there.

That being said...for small schools with no tradition like Clemson...go right ahead I guess.

Why can't it just be a general celebration? Why does it have to imply 'OMG how did we win? The opponent is a better program and we still won'

I agree with several above that say start winning first then we can talk about storming the court on rare exceptions.

I want to add my experience around court storming. More than 10 years ago my wife and I had part time jobs at the PNC Center in Raleigh NC as ushers. We enjoyed working the Carolina Hurricane games but also had to work concerts, Disney shows, monster trucks (the worst), etc and NC State basketball games. At Duke vs NC St. game as it became evident NC St was going to upset Duke, a supervisor called about 20 of us "larger size" ushers together and told us we were going to the floor to control the crowd. They stationed us shoulder to shoulder between the NC St bench and vomitory exit to allow the players, coaches and staff to exit. No more than 3 feet away I am talking with NC St students that are really excited but understood they should go towards the court not towards us. When the final buzzer sounded, all was well for a few seconds with us and the near by NC St students but someone forgot to tell the hundreds behind them. In a split second I was lifted from my feet (north of 220 pounds) and traveled nearly 10 feet through the air to the base of the NC St bench as students exploded to the floor. As I gathered my senses, I vowed to never, ever get near another storming of the court.

I'm going to sound like the no fun police, but that's ok. If you storm the court and injure anyone who is just where they are supposed to be and doing what they are supposed to be doing, I hope the consequences are severe.

But as long as it's safe, I'm ok with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom