STs nightmare | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

STs nightmare

What happened to 8 across the line? 2 wide and then the punter. Stay tight and if the block team is going to try and go wide to block the kick, it’s going to require more steps to get home. Or overload the right side and let the punter roll right and rugby kick.
Door number 1 is always the way to go

It seems like most here don’t get it, which is obviously not surprising…..special teams at this level is hard, especially for a 1st year coach who turned over the roster.

Bill Parcells famously said….”there are football players and there are guys who play football. I’m looking for the football players”.

Specials in college, is where you find the football players.

I doubt with this kind of roster…very, VERY top heavy…..we have the type of talent to legitimately compete at a high level on specials.

With P, you could look at the KR team and say…ok, that’s the starting O in 2 years., the KO team?…. starting D.

A lot of the guys we had drafted in rounds 4-7….made it…because of specials.

Fran knows this, give it time.

But no more boneheaded mistakes!!!

It seems like most here don’t get it, which is obviously not surprising…..special teams at this level is hard, especially for a 1st year coach who turned over the roster.

Bill Parcells famously said….”there are football players and there are guys who play football. I’m looking for the football players”.

I doubt with this kind of roster…very, VERY top heavy…..we have the type of talent to legitimately compete at a high level on specials.

With P, you could look at the KR team and say…ok, that’s the starting O in 2 years., the KO team?…. starting D.

Well put.

So nothing to do with the coaching then?

So nothing to do with the coaching then?
I’ll invoke BOARD RULE #1.

At present, I’m happy to blame the talent level.

Don’t think Fran had time to recruit that kind of player depth.

F using starters on Punt and kickoffs. Use them the same way that UNLV did but only if they have a unique talent such as blazing speed.
So only use starters if they are good at special teams? I’m not sure what you are saying, as UNLV used starters. I don’t really care who plays, the unit just needs to be better.

So are you vollono’s wife or something?

Every position is group is hard to coach, but you aren’t seeing Nixon’s offense or Robinsons defense going out and failing on 50% of the plays. I don’t think Syracuse has gotten a clean punt off in 2 games.

As for competing at a “high level”

Holy cross got punts off, Ohio gets punts off, watching the football world every Saturday I see 99% of teams get punts off consistently yet Syracuse hasn’t been able to. That’s a unique and clear coaching problem, through and through.

Last edited:
After UNLV kicked one short (2 yd line maybe) and SU returned it all of 7 yds, I turned to the guy sitting next to me and said, "oh no, they are forcing us to return the kickoff".

All good except in college you can take a fair catch and get it at the 25

missing a block is on the player. Not knowing who to block is on the coach. Both seem to be at fault from what I’ve
Im not a fan of our shield punt scheme. I would go to a modified spread scheme and tighten up the gunners maybe eliminate one of them depending on field position. The D is simply overloading the A gap against the shield and its been a jail break against three guys who are clueless. Take the guessing out of it and go hat on hat.

Im not a fan of our shield punt scheme. I would go to a modified spread scheme and tighten up the gunners maybe eliminate one of them depending on field position. The D is simply overloading the A gap against the shield and its been a jail break against three guys who are clueless. Take the guessing out of it and go hat on hat.
Correct and a lot of it has come from Cuse right side of the line where Barron hasn’t touched anyone twice on blocks. Something ain’t right lol

Correct and a lot of it has come from Cuse right side of the line where Barron hasn’t touched anyone twice on blocks. Something ain’t right lol
I watched the game again. It was a simple Jail break by overloading the A gap. What we need are our best blockers on the punt protection team. Not Barron, Not OG, But blockers Offensive lineman. Teach the punter to angle every punt to the sidelines. Shouldn't be hard.

Here is the hard part to understand. Our roster is upgraded from last year talent wise but the specials have taken a step backwards...some may say a big step.

Special teams is hard - just catching a punt is not easy (that kid by the way did great in the contest and he got knocked to the ground twice).

Pena should fair catch everything and I think we should go for it on anything less than 4th and 5 anywhere outside our 35.

Its always a mix of blocking and covering. not sure our oline guys are mobile enough to all block punts well. Its more confusion than talent on the mistakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom