Student attendance | Syracusefan.com

Student attendance

hoopsupstate

Living Legend
Another pathetic turnout for SU students today. Besides Virginia to open the season, their attendance has been dreadful. It’s embarrassing for their lack of support for the team.

Is it winter break still?

It's really sad. We are playing exciting basketball, and we have a very likable team (really nice kids and no bad actors).

The recent attendance "promotions" (such as today's baby race) are of zero interest to the students. I hope the marketing department (which really has gotten much better since the arrival of Andrew Goodrich) can come up with some ideas to get more students there.

Last edited:
Wish there was a good way to track student attendance through the years.

Time to make the student tickets free. We play in an arena with virtually unlimited capacity and could have accommodated the entire undergrad student body if each of them showed up today.

Honestly we’re gonna have to do this eventually as all schools are going to do this and anyone charging students will be outliers as attendance declines across college sports. People who attend games and donate for good parking spots etc aren’t getting younger. TV product is too good. Why be behind the curve and one of the last to do it? They pay enough in tuition.

If we were 17-3 and ranked 8 in the country they'd be there

They are fair weather fans like many who would rather hang at a house or a bar drinking than going to the game

Nope it’s a nooner in January and your out by 2pm this isn’t a game kids who paid for tickets would skip. Much easier to wait for good seats than vs Duke which is 8pm. Also not an event you have to drink for it’s not at night and a social thing. We need to get with the times and make it free kids born after 2000 aren’t going to spend money to attend sporting events they’ll watch on their phone from their dorm if it’s not free to go.

My idea
SU sets up student tickets in 2 season pass blocks. First semester and break is first come first serve seating in student section. Second semester - prime seats are reserved seats based on total game time spent at the game, games attended, and seniority. The school can set a minimum level of time spent to get reserved seating. Time spent are based on first semester games. Tickets should be minimal cost.
Reward the die hard students that go to all games with the best student seats at ACC games.

Not gonna defend the bad attendance but I'll just guess that with 1) bad weather 2) 12:00 start 3) team not having a great record that a lot of students decided to stay home. I'm really happy and lucky that I was a student at SU during 2008-12.

Has the percentage of international students increased in the last 10 years or so at SU? It has from what I've seen going to some games but I'm curious about the numbers. Basketball and football games might not interest them as much.

Not gonna defend the bad attendance but I'll just guess that with 1) bad weather 2) 12:00 start 3) team not having a great record that a lot of students decided to stay home. I'm really happy and lucky that I was a student at SU during 2008-12.
Bad weather? Put a jacket on and walk 5 minutes like the rest of the people going. Weather should not be an excuse for not being there. It’s not like they have to drive.

It’s an epidemic across the country. Syracuse is not immune.

They’ll come out in full force for Duke, though. Especially if we take care of business Tuesday.

Nope it’s a nooner in January and your out by 2pm this isn’t a game kids who paid for tickets would skip. Much easier to wait for good seats than vs Duke which is 8pm. Also not an event you have to drink for it’s not at night and a social thing. We need to get with the times and make it free kids born after 2000 aren’t going to spend money to attend sporting events they’ll watch on their phone from their dorm if it’s not free to go.
I was an absolute fanatic when I was a student. I skipped class for weeknight non-conference games, but there were times where I was too lazy to get out of bed for a nooner on the weekend. I remember missing the game where the rainbow wig dude got into a fight with Otto. I think it was against Notre Dame. Anyway, I could see students staying home for the reasons given.

I think it would be interesting to have someone do a poll on campus and find out why there is little interest. Curious if technology, people just not going out or just that sports aren't that important to them other than a social gathering if the team is winning and on TV later in the day and then it's more of a happening...the place to be.

Another pathetic turnout for SU students today. Besides Virginia to open the season, their attendance has been dreadful. It’s embarrassing for their lack of support for the team.
By chance was the kid who they chose for the shooting contest a student. How can someone not even make a layup. It was bad. But they should do some incentives. Either free tshirts or chances to win real prizes. Our student section definitely needs more consistency.

By chance was the kid who they chose for the shooting contest a student. How can someone not even make a layup. It was bad. But they should do some incentives. Either free tshirts or chances to win real prizes. Our student section definitely needs more consistency.
The free throw shooting form exhibited by the contestant was something I have not seen before. It made me think that it would have been a great way to start off a House episode.

House reluctantly accompanies Cuddy to a Syracuse basketball game (presumably because they are playing Michigan in an ACC-B1G challenge game).

Out of the corner of his eye, House sees the spastic convolutions of the contestant while being introduced to (and immediately insulting the clothing choices of) Adam Weitsman. Calls for the victim to be transported to the hospital immediately (as he collapses, with the classic animation of a zoom into the brain, where all hell is breaking loose).

The diagnosis? Lupus.

The free throw shooting form exhibited by the contestant was something I have not seen before. It made me think that it would have been a great way to start off a House episode.

House reluctantly accompanies Cuddy to a Syracuse basketball game (presumably because they are playing Michigan in an ACC-B1G challenge game).

Out of the corner of his eye, House sees the spastic convolutions of the contestant while being introduced to (and immediately insulting the clothing choices of) Adam Weitsman. Calls for the victim to be transported to the hospital immediately (as he collapses, with the classic animation of a zoom into the brain, where all hell is breaking loose).

The diagnosis? Lupus.
And all this time I thought it was because of too much playing video games vs actually getting out and playing some sports. I guess that's why I am not House.

Speaking of which, I would love the students (or the cheer team) leads a good rousing rendition of "Who's House? "Our House" instead of the weak sauce they try to do wirh the megaphones.

I would like to see the demographic of the SU students for like the last 40 years. I wonder if a shift to more out of state/country students contributes to the lack of student attendance. We have had several mediocre teams in the past and student attendance never really dipped to low. It may also be the current generation attending college just doesn’t have much interest in watching live sports.

Last edited:

The diagnosis? Lupus.
Nah. (To use a phrase said on literally every House episode), "It's never Lupus." ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom