SU and UConn set to play at MSG this year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU and UConn set to play at MSG this year

EastCoast2 said:
What do they need us for? I think this is a good thing. SU and UConn are both recruiting three big time recruits from NYC. I would think going into MSG and beating UConn by 10+ points would certainly look good.

The AAC isn't the ACC when it comes to schedule.

And if UConn isn't playing SU at MSG I'd bet they're calling teams 24/7 to make a game there... maybe a B1G team. Would you rather UConn and Michigan play at MSG?

I would rather we get a yearly game with Nova - keep it at St.Johns/Nova/hoyas for nostalgia - no need for ucon

I mean, there's no "need" for college basketball to exist at all. We watch it because it entertains us. And Cuse/UConn is entertaining as hell. Those SU fans were going bonkers in the Bahamas last year.

And if UConn isn't playing SU at MSG I'd bet they're calling teams 24/7 to make a game there... maybe a B1G team. Would you rather UConn and Michigan play at MSG?
I like this idea too. This is our state, so let them come in and play us at the Garden. It's a quality OOC neutral court game with lots of Orange in the stands.

The only downside is that some Yukon fans may get tickets.

Not a fan of playing UConn when we have St. Johns', Georgetown, Big Ten road game, and South Carolina.

Of course the OP won't be passive aggressive or Debbie Downer like he does a lot because its in NYC.

We're playing South Carolina? Why?

It seems JB is expecting to have a great team this year.

I'm extremely excited about this -- I can't wait. Some of my greatest sports memories of all-time involve games against UConn at the Garden.

We've had a high number of memorable games with UConn in the last 10 years or so. Last years game was one of the more enjoyable regular season games. It's a rivalry, and the games are usually good. I like it.

We could have scheduled Villanova. I enjoy watching SU-Gtown, SU-Nova.
We could schedule almost anybody in a neutral site game at MSG. Duke does every year. This game benefits Connecticut more than Syracuse. SU already has the Barclay's Center game.

If we wanted another tough game then schedule a top 25 team on the road in a home/home and bank a future appealing home game. UConn at MSG will be treated a de facto home game for Syracuse it isn't as beneficial as the win in the Bahamas.

Nobody wants to see more cupcakes but playing UConn sucks. The fanbase wars are old and we could play other good teams.

Last edited:
Stupid. We don't need them but we do them a favor because they need us.
agreed. the best part about Yukon fans is that if you beat them they disregard it, and then if and when they beat you that's all that matters. on the flip side, having all these rivalry games might make the team tougher. it worked in a sense this year, but I don't see it as a great long-term plan.

They don't need us. They can get a game with anyone. This is a good game for us. We needed a good game away from the Dome.
They are an elite program but they couldn't get a game with anyone. Duke/UNC/UK/KU wouldn't do home/homes with them.

Connecticut is getting the better end of this deal. Syracuse could play Providence/Villanova/West Virginia/Maryland at MSG but we are giving UConn a circle the calendar game. You live in CT that is tough as I have been treated worse at UConn for football game than any other venue all time and for a basketball game it was bottom 5. That fanbase is not good to most Syracuse traveling fans and in a bad way not a friendly rivalry way.

Bad deal for Syracuse IMO. If we wanted to play in MSG we should have done the Jimmy V Classic it could have been a good opponent as well.

They are an elite program but they couldn't get a game with anyone. Duke/UNC/UK/KU wouldn't do home/homes with them.

Connecticut is getting the better end of this deal. Syracuse could play Providence/Villanova/West Virginia/Maryland at MSG but we are giving UConn a circle the calendar game. You live in CT that is tough as I have been treated worse at UConn for football game than any other venue all time and for a basketball game it was bottom 5. That fanbase is not good to most Syracuse traveling fans and in a bad way not a friendly rivalry way.

Bad deal for Syracuse IMO. If we wanted to play in MSG we should have done the Jimmy V Classic it could have been a good opponent as well.
I also enjoy beating them. We have beat them 8 of the last 10 times we have played them. I enjoy that. We will beat them again in December.

upon further reflection, we beat them this year with a bunch of freshman even with their grad transfer saviors. this year they lose their best player easily, and they might keep a couple of upperclassmen that weren't even good enough for a combine invite. their recruiting class is another midget guard, a guy with two blown acl's, and a couple of whatevers. this could turn into a pretty ok neutral court win against a pretty decent g5 team. or we lose another st. john's type game and it doesn't matter at all because we will ultimately be judged by our ACC record. you know, our record in an actual basketball conference with other teams that care about basketball.

We could have scheduled Villanova. I enjoy watching SU-Gtown, SU-Nova.
We could schedule almost anybody in a neutral site game at MSG. Duke does every year. This game benefits Connecticut more than Syracuse. SU already has the Barclay's Center game.

If we wanted another tough game then schedule a top 25 team on the road in a home/home and bank a future appealing home game. UConn at MSG will be treated a de facto home game for Syracuse it isn't as beneficial as the win in the Bahamas.

Nobody wants to see more cupcakes but playing UConn sucks. The fanbase wars are old and we could play other good teams.
It helps both teams...this is good game...it will get lots of hype for a December game

We'll beat them, but this "rivalry" is moving further in the rear view mirror. We are graduating kids this year who know nothing but Duke and UNC and UL and UVa as big games.

Playing an ACC schedule, a B1G team, some other random big games is fine. This Big East reunion tour is a bit much in my view.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom