SU bowl projections | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

SU bowl projections

Illinois is a power run and short quick pass offense. They are very physical on offense and burn a lot of clock. Exactly the kind of team that gave us issues in our 5 game losing streak. I don’t like the matchup and perfect a different team. In the end we have to play whoever we get so it doesn’t really matter.

Blitz every down and see how their QB handles it :)

Illinois is a power run and short quick pass offense. They are very physical on offense and burn a lot of clock. Exactly the kind of team that gave us issues in our 5 game losing streak. I don’t like the matchup and perfect a different team. In the end we have to play whoever we get so it doesn’t really matter.

Their scoring offense is ranked #82 (that's what I meant above), total offense is #72.

But they are nowhere near the type of team that gave us issues during our losing streak. 4 of the 5 losses are to teams better than 58th offensively. #14, #29, #54 and #58. All big play teams except Notre Dame. 3 of the 5 were on the road and all except for Wake and 2nd half Clemson were with hurt QB or the #2 QB.

Like I said, imo, this matchup looks like a 9-6 type rock fight. Battle of field goal kickers. Illinois isn't blowing anybody out.

With all due respect, Illinois would destroy us. It would not be close.
Illnois is not a good match up for us. They can beat us for sure but I wouldnt say they will destroy us. They are not a top 10 team. They are a team that went 5-4 in their league.

Last edited:
we have no clue who will opt out on our end(Tucker? Berg? Mikel?) and besides not knowing who we are playing yet, we don't know who may opt out on their side. If Brown opts out at Illinois, they are not as scary. Also, motivation is huge in a bowl, a team like SU will be very motivated because bowls have not exactly been frequent around here, most of the kids on the current roster have never played in one. An opponent who usually goes to bigger games (Wisconsin for example, if we get the Pinstripe and play them) won't be nearly as motivated, and won't have their new head coaching in charge for the game. basically they are a crapshoot. Feels like Pinstripe vs Minny or Wisconsin is most likely.

We will get clobbered by Illinois. They will run it down our throat. We want no part of that matchup.
No way brown plays. He’s had injury scares. Wouldn’t make any sense to play in a c-level bowl.

Now, they could still probably run it down our throats but not nearly as easily.

No way brown plays. He’s had injury scares. Wouldn’t make any sense to play in a c-level bowl.

Now, they could still probably run it down our throats but not nearly as easily.
exactly, and as much as I want us to win our bowl game, I hope the extra practices are useful(didn't seem to help in 2019 after the 2018 bowl practices) and I hope some kids who haven't been starters get some good playing time in the game. Well, beyond the backups who are now starters, that is. The bowl is as much about next year as the results of the game, but I hope we kick whomever's arse we play

With Garrett and Sean having a month to get healthy, I would be very surprised if we didn't compete well.
Exactly, I think this is going to be all systems go, especially if it’s any other bowl than the Fenway. I expect to see a very healthy team, like in the beginning of the season. Either way, this is my Super Bowl as far as I’m concerned. Lol

Looking more and more likely Tennessee gets moved late from the Orange to the Cotton to get Ohio State that slot.

Which should help us. Might be the key towards getting us a warmish weather bowl.

Looking more and more likely Tennessee gets moved late from the Orange to the Cotton to get Ohio State that slot.

Which should help us. Might be the key towards getting us a warmish weather bowl.

I'm ready for a return to the Gator Bowl.

Tom - please let them know this. And thank you.

Seems super likely unless something wild happens up top and the effects trickle down
Should be our worst case scenario. A lot of the projections are now putting Wake in our place for the Fenway Bowl. Some have UL there as well.

I think the boneheads are finally understanding Syracuse is not headed there.

I’m still torn as part of me wants a warm weather bowl for the players and the fans who can travel, but selfishly I’m going to be so pumped if it’s the Pinstripe. We’ve never been to a bowl game and can go to that one. Day trippable.

I would imagine the three players who have a decision to make about playing in the bowl game are:

Mikel Jones
Sean Tucker
Matt Bergeron.

I think Bergeron and Jones play but Tucker opts out. Only a random guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom