SU FB to raise money for Brain Cancer Research "Lift for LIfe" | Syracusefan.com

SU FB to raise money for Brain Cancer Research "Lift for LIfe"

CuseLegacy

I didn't see this posted. Proud of these players. As someone who makes a donation for Cancer research every year, have lost many friends to this disease including brain cancer, I will be making a second donation to assist in the efforts of these players. There is a link at the end of release where a donation can be made.

7/12/2013 11:24:00 AM
The Syracuse University chapter of Uplifting Athletes will hold its' first 'Lift for Life' event during the week of July 22 to raise awareness about and research funds for brain cancer. Syracuse Uplifting Athletes chapter leaders Sam Rodgers and Eric Morris chartered the chapter at Syracuse in late Spring and are serving as the president and vice president, respectively, for the inaugural year.

"I feel like I'm in a spot where I should give back in any way I can," Rodgers said. "I grew up pretty healthy and with a good family. Right now, I'm a college football player and I'm in a spot where I can help."

'Lift for Life' is an annual event that takes place throughout the country by various Uplifting Athletes chapters. It is one of the most popular events held by the national organization because it directly links fundraising for rare disease with sports.

The Orange Uplifting Athletes 'Lift for Life' will take place during the final week of summer workouts for the Syracuse team, Rodgers said. The student-athletes will be divided by offense and defense and the side that lifts the most total weight will win the first Orange Uplifting Athletes 'Lift for Life' title.

"It's really just for the fun of competition, with a main goal of raising funds and awareness," Rodgers said. "Because the contest will be held as part of our regular team workouts in the weight room at Manley Field House, it is not open to the public. However, in the future we want to make this a bigger event that is open to the public. We are getting started this way to get the whole team involved and excited about the cause, and give everyone something to think about."

In 2003, Penn State instituted the first chapter of Uplifting Athletes. Today, the organization is rapidly growing with 18 chapters all over the country. Each chapter consists of college football players who raise money for a rare disease of their choice.

As the leaders of the Syracuse chapter of Uplifting Athletes, Rodgers and Morris are responsible for recruiting club members, planning and carrying out fundraising events and maintaining affiliation with the national organization. The chapter elected to raise awareness about and money for brain cancer research because they saw firsthand the effects of the disease when their former teammate and Syracuse punter Rob Long was diagnosed with a brain tumor in December 2010.

"Initially we just wanted to start Uplifting Athletes," Rodgers said. "We wanted to start it and raise money for cancer research. Then we realized there was an obvious choice – the brain cancer that affected our team."

Rodgers said the club is planning additional fundraising events throughout the year such as a touchdown pledge and an awareness day.

For those interested in making a donation, please visit the official Orange Uplifting Athletes website. Personal checks should be made payable to Syracuse Uplifting Athletes and mailed to Brady Rourke, Associate Director, Student-Athlete Development, Manley Field House, 1301 E. Colvin St., Syracuse, N.Y. 13244.

Eric Morris Jr.@EricMorris48 16h
5,215 dollars so far, lets keep it going! pic.twitter.com/q5RU5mmbg1

Good for them.

Uplifting Athletes’ chapter at Syracuse University will hold its first Lift For Life event on July 25 to help raise awareness and dollars for anaplastic astrocytoma in honor of former player Rob Long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom