SU/Gtown series renewed ... now 4 years | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU/Gtown series renewed ... now 4 years

I'm not particularly crazy about this. Georgetown/Syracuse is a shadow of what it was even ten years ago, and in 2019 I'm not sure it matters that much to have a "presence" anywhere tbh.
The rivalry hatred is gone but it’s still a worthwhile series.
It gives us a nonconference road game for tournament resume purposes and shuts the narrative we don’t play a road nonconference game up.
In a region it won’t be a true hostile road environment as our fans will have a significant portion of the crowd.
So while SU-Gtown hatred isn’t what it used to be this series is a good job by JB continuing.

The rivalry hatred is gone but it’s still a worthwhile series.
It gives us a nonconference road game for tournament resume purposes and shuts the narrative we don’t play a road nonconference game up.

This can be solved with any number of teams that we dont play on a regular basis. It's a worthwhile series in the sense that it fills a space on the schedule and isn't Colgate.

In a region it won’t be a true hostile road environment as our fans will have a significant portion of the crowd.

I may be in the minority but I get a lot more satisfaction from beating like Ohio State or Michigan State in their home arena than beating Georgetown in a sterile, half full (im an optimist btw) partisan SU crowd NBA arena.

I'm not particularly crazy about this. Georgetown/Syracuse is a shadow of what it was even ten years ago, and in 2019 I'm not sure it matters that much to have a "presence" anywhere tbh.

It may not carry as much weight for recruiting purposes as it used to, but it definitely matters to alumni to have a "presence" in an area we otherwise wouldn't get to.

This can be solved with any number of teams that we dont play on a regular basis. It's a worthwhile series in the sense that it fills a space on the schedule and isn't Colgate.

I may be in the minority but I get a lot more satisfaction from beating like Ohio State or Michigan State in their home arena than beating Georgetown in a sterile, half full (im an optimist btw) partisan SU crowd NBA arena.

There was 15,500 at the last game in DC, and probably 8-9K of them were for us.

I’m right on this one. Y’all just don’t know it yet.

I remember going to games at the Verizon back in the day, until DB Lee Reed (and Verizon management) started manipulating the ticket process - excluding Syracuse fans by giving seats away to the homeless or bundling the game into "3-ticket" packages. They couldn't fill half the Verizon even when the team was (rarely) good - so SU fans predominated there. Pre-game beers at Clydes, etc...

Now Pollin is gone, and his successor (Leonsis, GT grad) sold out to Capital One. But don't think for a minute that GT has grown any character.

At the GT-SU Dome game in December, there was a GT "dad" sitting in front of my section with his two kids. You could tell he was GT because he had his collar up (who does that anymore?), and one of his sons was carrying a sign that read: "Got 101 Wins Boeheim?". Nice way to represent your alma mater and teach your kids about sportsmanship and good taste. lol.

I'd let them rot. We don't need them.
Syracuse basketball fans sense a Georgetown ticket conspiracy
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/24/AR2011022406773.html?noredirect=on

Last edited:
I remember going to games at the Verizon back in the day, until DB Lee Reed (and Verizon management) started playing games - excluding Syracuse fans by giving tickets away to the homeless or bundling the game into "3-ticket" packages. GT could never even get half the Verizon filled with fans even when the team was good - so SU fans have established a great tradition there.

Now Pollin is gone, and Leonsis (GT grad) sold out to Capital One. But don't think for a minute that GT is above board about anything.

At the GT-SU Dome game in December, there was a GT grad sitting in front of my section. You could tell he was GT because he had his collar up (who does that anymore?), and his son was carrying a sign that read: "Got 101 Wins Boeheim?". Nice family. lol. Way to represent at opposing arenas.

AH's. I'd let them rot. We don't need them.
Syracuse basketball fans sense a Georgetown ticket conspiracy
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/24/AR2011022406773.html?noredirect=on

I remember that, Leonsis has his thing during hockey of freezing out Penguin fans and it carried over to little success.

This let them rot thing ...we don't matter that much in the scope of life and they play in a fine conference. Duke's played here before and they can fill up Cap One if Georgetown asked.

That was six years ago.
I prefer that one because of the circumstances of the game.
But could've substituted Tyus Battle the past two seasons.

I LOAAATHE G-Town.

One day the Orange will be back in a conference with more of their traditional geographic rivals.
The ACC has several of the best teams in the country.
Excellent competition
But it's not a cultural or geographic fit..and likely never will be.

I LOAAATHE G-Town.

One day the Orange will be back in a conference with more of their traditional geographic rivals.
Excellent competition

How's Georgetown a better cultural or geographic fit than UVa or Duke?

We're not a pretend Jesuit school - Duke's students are where our students are from and UVa is 2 hours away from Georgetown.

I LOAAATHE G-Town.

Excellent competition

Yeah I think the ACC is our best chance of a fit for the forseable future.

Yeah I think the ACC is our best chance of a fit for the forseable future.

NOBODY goes from a P5 to a non-P5 conference by choice.

Ask Temple & UConn all about it.

We would have been a lousy fit w all the massive land-grant State schools in the B1G.

And the B12, ESS EEE SEE, and P12 are all non-starters.

So, to that poster: better not hold your breath waiting on that new, geographic rival conference.

Would love a series with Nova, probably more than GTown in all honesty. But not sure I'd do both in the same year with the 20 game conference schedule.
I’d like to see us rotate two game series with Gtown and Nova. And I’d be open to an occasional game with UConn but only at MSG.

Clearly the athletic dept and coach Boheim feel otherwise about the importance of playing in DC every other year—and continuing the rivalry with Gtown. I agree.

Because Georgetown stunk and the confidence in the program was low. When JTIII had Georgetown looking competent, SU/G'Town was a hard ticket to get. $100 would get you in the 400 level if you were lucky.

I hope this helps us to recruit the DC metro area and maybe Philly too. It makes sense to schedule OOC games in areas where we have a strong fan presence. DC certainly qualifies...

I'll tell you who's excited about this game... Derrick Coleman. Every time we play in DC, he walks into orange-packed Clydes with a huge smile on his face and takes pictures with anyone who wants to.

People who don't want this series to continue: stop trying to take away DC's fun.

These games are beat. Let's move on.
Would rather renew a series with Nova, or even something outside of the box like Providence.

These games are beat. Let's move on.
Would rather renew a series with Nova, or even something outside of the box like Providence.
Providence = Boston College whom we play a game at every year.

Villanova/St.John’s/Georgetown are the only old Big East teams worth playing home/home because of history and location for road games for our recruiting and alumni.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom