SU/Gtown series renewed ... now 4 years | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

SU/Gtown series renewed ... now 4 years

To your points:

-JB doesnt drink
-No better way to play in front of DC area alumni than to have our choice of seats in an NBA arena. Someone mentioned George Mason - no thank you - A10 and no bars or beers sales.
-Otherwise yeah, walking out of Verizon after the win last season was far different than walking outta there when beating them during the Big East day, and walking outta the old Cap Centre for that metter.

You’re the same guy who says we shouldn’t play these teams because they consider us their Super Bowl aren’t you?

Sometimes I think we over analyze these things way too much.

We’re just the fans. Enjoy the games.

I can see having a preference for who we get in the Big Ten challenge, as some are more exciting than others. I can see complaining about a game that is surely going to be a boring rockfight.

All that other stuff...I mean, the AD and program have it under control. They know what they’re doing.

I’m doing my best to only look at it from a fan perspective. A lot of the SU-Georgetown games in recent years have been fun to watch on their own merits. Hard fought games that aren’t boring, with lively crowds. Works for me.

You’re the same guy who says we shouldn’t play these teams because they consider us their Super Bowl aren’t you?

I've said that about UConn for sure. There's no upside there playing an AAC school that's bitter.

Our record against former Big East foes seems to stink. But our last 2 games against Georgetown home and away were fun things, they play in a real conference where it seems the math is helpful come March.

And selfishly I get to go.

He was drunk on nostalgia then.

I actually believe that much of the reason this game is played is JB's preference and his emotional ties to the old Big East.

I'm certainly no tea-totaler. But I have never understood the required connection between alcohol consumption and watching a game. Post game? Absolutely.

But if it's any kind of game at all, I don't want my senses dulled.

There was a time --- in the Old US Air Arena --- when Georgetown actually had a fan base and it was fun to play them. Now the GU crowd consists of some their very high SAT score students that were bused in and some tweedy alumni, with nothing better to do on a Saturday afternoon. The students all look to me like they would be happier at an Ultimate Frisbee contest. The crowd look like what I think the Brown U. or Columbia U. crowd looks like.

These are not the kids that make up the crowd at say, the Big Five games in Philly.

Maryland, on the other hand, has a real college basketball crowd.

I really don't disagree with any of that, but I'll never argue against a cold beer.

Maryland, on the other hand, has a real college basketball crowd.

The gameday experience for Syracuse fans is 100x better playing at Georgetown than at Maryland.

Capital One Arena is easily accessible by all forms of mass transit, there are a ton of entertainment options and bars/restaurants within walking distance, and the crowd is often 1/4 to 1/2 SU fans. The streets are packed with orange and it's just a festive atmosphere around the arena.

Maryland is out in a dumpy suburb with absolutely nothing around it to do. You have to rent a car if you're from out of town, you park in a campus parking garage, and then leave after the game ends. And there the crowd is maybe 10-15% SU fan.

I prefer that one because of the circumstances of the game.
But could've substituted Tyus Battle the past two seasons.

I LOAAATHE G-Town.

One day the Orange will be back in a conference with more of their traditional geographic rivals.
The ACC has several of the best teams in the country.
Excellent competition
But it's not a cultural or geographic fit..and likely never will be.

What? This by far the best cultural fit as a conference.

For some reason, the concept of this game puts me in mind of the Civil War Reenactors that play war at Gettysburg every year on July 3rd. The flags are the same. The uniforms are the same. But it ain't the same as it was. It just isn't.

Salma Hayek is not as attractive at age 52 as she was at age 32. But she's still very attractive.

The SU/Gtown rivalry is the same concept.

Salma Hayek is not as attractive at age 52 as she was at age 32. But she's still very attractive.

Yeah but it hasn’t aged that well. Like not even close.

Like if your best argument for this is that it’s a bone to throw to the sliver of alums and fans who live in the DMV, that’s,...not great.

When you play good teams the committee excuses losses.

We need as many good games on the schedule so if we lose some games we shouldn’t we have built in excuse of a hard schedule.

The games at Barclays aren’t big name teams.
Georgetown is tough because it’s on the road.
Big Ten home game will be tough.
Then we will 7 home tomato cans we should win.
Agreed - I think the committee looks at the how many quality wins you have - not your winning percentage against quality teams.

Like if your best argument for this is that it’s a bone to throw to the sliver of alums and fans who live in the DMV, that’s,...not great.

It was still our largest home non-conference crowd last year by a considerable margin. And the DMV has the 2nd largest concentration of SU alums in the country -- it's a large sliver.

lived in DC area for 40+ years. Nobody hates Gtown more than me, beginning with the infamous "Rochester Classic" game from the early 70's. It's cool that we get more people in downtown DC than they do. Love re-watching Requiem for the Big East. But there is no upside to this!! What's done is done but we will regret this well before the fourth installment. Maryland, even George Mason better IMO if we want a game in the DMV.

A Kodak Classic Mention! I was there. I believe Dartmouth was in the field with Jim Beattie who went on to pitch for the Yankees.

It's an away game - good - in front of a lot of our fans - good - and good either way as they improve for NCAA tournament stuff.

JB isn't going to take the team into a massive hostile environment of subject us to a bad (at Uconn) type of loss.

If "Fuller House" can be a show now entering its 5th season, we can continue to play G-town.

I wonder what the sentiment would be if the last two games had gone the other way.

Georgetown isn’t the rivalry it used to be.
However we should play atleast 1 road nonconference game each year.
If we are at home for the Big Ten-ACC challenge playing at St. John’s/Villanova/Georgetown work.

JB isn’t going to play a nonconference road game on the West Coast. There is no reason to play at any SEC team as we play in the region plenty during ACC play.
The only Big XII worth considering would be West Virginia since it’s not to far.
This series is fine. If people wanted Villanova or St. John’s okay we should play them after this 4 game series.
The win at Georgetown last year probably got us into the tournament since we were the last team in.
Road wins are NCAAT resume builders.

The gameday experience for Syracuse fans is 100x better playing at Georgetown than at Maryland.

Capital One Arena is easily accessible by all forms of mass transit, there are a ton of entertainment options and bars/restaurants within walking distance, and the crowd is often 1/4 to 1/2 SU fans. The streets are packed with orange and it's just a festive atmosphere around the arena.

Maryland is out in a dumpy suburb with absolutely nothing around it to do. You have to rent a car if you're from out of town, you park in a campus parking garage, and then leave after the game ends. And there the crowd is maybe 10-15% SU fan.

And what, pray tell, is the reason SU fans can fill half the seats in the Verizon Center???

Do you think it has anything to do with the hometown's assessment of the so-called home team?

You like it because its a defacto SU home game in a convenient location. Let's agree to play Maryland there or George Washington. It'd be the same thing.

I have lived in DC for decades. I have little interest in that section (Tourist world). What attractions are you talking anout down there? The Ultra pathetic Spy Museum? The National Archives? I would as soon drive to College Park than drive to the Metro and the take the Metro.

Are there any alternatives available that are 36? Or 42?

Lots of alternatives out there.

I'll stick with my assessment that this is a money grab cashing the shrinking slice of the fan base that still can't come to grips with the fact "The Rivalry is OVER!"

I'm reminded of the Monty Python sketch in which a customer attempts to return a parrot he earlier purchased because it is dead. The pet shop owner had told him it was just sleeping.

The customer says, "This parrot isn't sleeping. This parrot is dead. It's an ex-parrot. It is no more!"

And what, pray tell, is the reason SU fans can fill half the seats in the Verizon Center???

Do you think it has anything to do with the hometown's assessment of the so-called home team?

You like it because its a defacto SU home game in a convenient location. Let's agree to play Maryland there or George Washington. It'd be the same thing.

I have lived in DC for decades. I have little interest in that section (Tourist world). What attractions are you talking anout down there? The Ultra pathetic Spy Museum? The National Archives? I would as soon drive to College Park than drive to the Metro and the take the Metro.

I'd like to say the Portrait Museum, short walk to the Smithsonians and WH, great places to eat along F Street, the Newseum for those so inclined.

But really there are enough good pre and post game watering holes to make it fun. Never know who you'll talk to.

College Park stinks, it just does. That being said you're welcome to my tailgate for the UMD game. I'll bring Zak.

Are there any alternatives available that are 36? Or 42?

Lots of alternatives out there.

I'll stick with my assessment that this is a money grab cashing the shrinking slice of the fan base that still can't come to grips with the fact "The Rivalry is OVER!"

I'm reminded of the Monty Python sketch in which a customer attempts to return a parrot he earlier purchased because it is dead. The pet shop owner had told him it was just sleeping.

The customer says, "This parrot isn't sleeping. This parrot is dead. It's an ex-parrot. It is no more!"

Everything is a money grab.

It's an away game - good - in front of a lot of our fans - good - and good either way as they improve for NCAA tournament stuff.

JB isn't going to take the team into a massive hostile environment of subject us to a bad (at Uconn) type of loss.

It’s an away game that’s gonna prepare us for the tournament but not really since it’s in front of a partisan SU crowd.

Like I said, not the best argument.

Everything is a money grab.

Yeah, you are right.

Reminds me of one of my favorite lines from Apocalypse Now. "Accusing someone of murder in this place is like giving speeding tickets at the Indy 500".

I'd like to say the Portrait Museum, short walk to the Smithsonians and WH, great places to eat along F Street, the Newseum for those so inclined.

But really there are enough good pre and post game watering holes to make it fun. Never know who you'll talk to.

College Park stinks, it just does. That being said you're welcome to my tailgate for the UMD game. I'll bring Zak.

It's not awful and for pedestrians it is better than UMCP.

But, c'mon, how many of that crowd of orange t-shirt wearing beer slurpers are going over to the Art Museum to look at a few Monets before or after the game?

It’s an away game that’s gonna prepare us for the tournament but not really since it’s in front of a partisan SU crowd.

Like I said, not the best argument.

The NCAA committee guys don't say - well it's an away game with a bunch of disclaimers. It's the best possible away game we can get.

It's not awful and for pedestrians it is better than UMCP.

But, c'mon, how many of that crowd of orange t-shirt wearing beer slurpers are going over to the Art Museum to look at a few Monets before or after the game?

You clearly don't know what a sophisticate Eric15 is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom