SU hosts BYE Game Thread 9.14.2024 | Syracusefan.com

SU hosts BYE Game Thread 9.14.2024

HtownOrange

Living Legend
Here we have, the annual dreaded game with BYE. You guessed it, they still suck, but have a winning record against Rutgers, so BYE has that going for them.

Credit where credit is due, last week BYE held the FSU in check limiting FSU's offense, the real question is whether it was BYE's defense or Ukulele at QB, interweb mouthpieces remain debating the fact. FSU looked lackluster once again this fall. Nevertheless, BYE did not get the victory, to FSU's credit. Thanks to FSU for not embarrassing the ACC...yet again. What a year...

The team seems ambivalent, today. It's like the team lacks motivation whenever BYE is in town. Anyway, the Dome crowd is expected to be light. Even the die hard tailgaters are not motivated. TexanMark, JeremyCuse and the entire SyracuseFan crew are taking the day off! All die hards to the core. They even take their tailgate on the road, but for BYE, it's like nobody cares. Well, I care, so I will start the day with skipping breakfast, it makes mowing that much easier. After cleaning up, I will sit down with a traditional favorite of SU fans and devour a Gianelli sausage sandwich, with onions, peppers and plenty of cheese. I'll chase with with a bowl of chips and wash it down with Coke Zero. My in-game snacking will whatever I feel like (O.K., I have some ambivalence to the annual BYE game, too), but cut me some slack, I am 1,600+ miles from the Dome; even with the expected light traffic on the Hill, I can't make the game on time.

Sad news for SUTomCat, the SUMB will not be playing. Two trumpeters are out due to injury, but are expected to make a quick recovery and return for the Stanford game. The hard news is that there will be no tubas in the Dome, today. A sad day, indeed.

We tried to reach a few players for comments and thoughts on the game, none of the players responded

Heck, even the ever energetic enigmatic leader, of SU football, HC Fran Brown, skipped his weekly game presser and cannot be reached for comment! Highly unlikely HCFB.

The lineup is not expected to change, though Wax remains out. Everyone else appears available and eligible. Another striking difference between SU and BYE - SU players are expected to be scholars, attend class, do their work in the classroom, and graduate while BYE seems weak on their academics and record keeping. There remains little proof that BYE does not employ the UNC academic standards for athletes. I'll take SU all day, every day over the BYE slackers.

While none of expects much of a game from BYE and we understand why SU players and coaches hate this week every year, I hope each player will reflect on their training, coaching, and pull together to get through the day. I hope each of them enjoys the day, watches a few other games, and has some time with friends. After all, isn't that one of the best parts of CFB?

It's game day vs. BYE! Let's Go Orange!

Here we have, the annual dreaded game with BYE. You guessed it, they still suck, but have a winning record against Rutgers, so BYE has that going for them.

Credit where credit is due, last week BYE held the FSU in check limiting FSU's offense, the real question is whether it was BYE's defense or Ukulele at QB, interweb mouthpieces remain debating the fact. FSU looked lackluster once again this fall. Nevertheless, BYE did not get the victory, to FSU's credit. Thanks to FSU for not embarrassing the ACC...yet again. What a year...

The team seems ambivalent, today. It's like the team lacks motivation whenever BYE is in town. Anyway, the Dome crowd is expected to be light. Even the die hard tailgaters are not motivated. TexanMark, JeremyCuse and the entire SyracuseFan crew are taking the day off! All die hards to the core. They even take their tailgate on the road, but for BYE, it's like nobody cares. Well, I care, so I will start the day with skipping breakfast, it makes mowing that much easier. After cleaning up, I will sit down with a traditional favorite of SU fans and devour a Gianelli sausage sandwich, with onions, peppers and plenty of cheese. I'll chase with with a bowl of chips and wash it down with Coke Zero. My in-game snacking will whatever I feel like (O.K., I have some ambivalence to the annual BYE game, too), but cut me some slack, I am 1,600+ miles from the Dome; even with the expected light traffic on the Hill, I can't make the game on time.

Sad news for SUTomCat, the SUMB will not be playing. Two trumpeters are out due to injury, but are expected to make a quick recovery and return for the Stanford game. The hard news is that there will be no tubas in the Dome, today. A sad day, indeed.

We tried to reach a few players for comments and thoughts on the game, none of the players responded

Heck, even the ever energetic enigmatic leader, of SU football, HC Fran Brown, skipped his weekly game presser and cannot be reached for comment! Highly unlikely HCFB.

The lineup is not expected to change, though Wax remains out. Everyone else appears available and eligible. Another striking difference between SU and BYE - SU players are expected to be scholars, attend class, do their work in the classroom, and graduate while BYE seems weak on their academics and record keeping. There remains little proof that BYE does not employ the UNC academic standards for athletes. I'll take SU all day, every day over the BYE slackers.

While none of expects much of a game from BYE and we understand why SU players and coaches hate this week every year, I hope each player will reflect on their training, coaching, and pull together to get through the day. I hope each of them enjoys the day, watches a few other games, and has some time with friends. After all, isn't that one of the best parts of CFB?

It's game day vs. BYE! Let's Go Orange!
I hope next year is an even better BYE as this one is a bit mediocre and it seems that more people are focused for later endeavors such as UNLV.

I hope next year is an even better BYE as this one is a bit mediocre and it seems that more people are focused for later endeavors such as UNLV.

I get the feeling the team is looking past this week’s opponent.

That’s a big mistake!
You should never sleep on Bye Week U!!

I get the feeling the team is looking past this week’s opponent.

That’s a big mistake!
You should never sleep on Bye Week U!!
Exactly! You can never look past your present opponent. Looking ahead to the Cardinal opens the doors to defeat. Looking past BYE to the next game has caused problems for several teams in the past.

Exactly! You can never look past your present opponent. Looking ahead to the Cardinal opens the doors to defeat. Looking past BYE to the next game has caused problems for several teams in the past.
During the Babers' era, The Fighting BYE played us very physical (dirty?). I think that was a big part of the struggles in our games following The BYE. Just a thought...

In all seriousness, I wonder what the prep has been like this week.

Would think ST’s are getting addressed this week and potentially installing wrinkles for future opponents….especially for UNLV.

is today the off day for practice and Stanford prep begins tomorrow for the short week instead of Sunday off?

I’m really curious what they do after the Stanford game, do we sneak in a day or two of extra UNLV prep before the Holy Cross prep.

This schedule gives us some options.

I remember seeing BYE taking on my Syracuse Orangemen in ‘28. That’s 1928 for those of you who think football began with the portal and NIL. Bye had just come off a narrow victory over the Cadets of Army coached by Biff Jones.

Syracuse, headed by second year coach Lew Andreas was still trying to recover from the Hoo-Doo effects of Colgate, and was a team on the ropes.

The Fighting Byes had a QB named One-Hand Wilson, who got his nickname for obvious, and unfortunate, reasons. Still five digits seemed to be enough for old One-Hand. He completed 6 passes all to All- America End Eddie “Junkyard” Jones for 12 yards.

But a stout Big Orange defense kept the game close until halftime, with Bye leading 7-2.

The opening kickoff of the second half generated instant excitement when the Bye returner was tripped by a Syracuse cheerleader as he headed up the sideline and was taken down at the forty of Bye. The offending cheerleader, Sally O’Noyoudont, earned a flag for SU and a 15-yard penalty. O’Noyoudont was ejected from the stadium and was carried on the backs of about a dozen brothers of Lamda Chi Alpha fraternity. She was subsequently named Honorary Little Sister.

Following the penalty, an errant pass by One-Hand floated over the head of the intended receiver, and into the unexpecting arms of Syracuse defensive back Gary “Boobie” Robinson. Robinson returned the ball to the three, but fumbled following an inspired defensive play by One-Hand who caught him from behind and knocked the ball loose with the stub of his left arm. The ball bounded into the end zone, where the ensuing scrum of players piled onto the pigskin. When the players from both teams were finally pulled from the pile, the ball was cradled tightly by the Orangemen’s own defensive tackle, Charlie “Whispers” McGruder. The subsequent kick failed when it caromed off the right upright.

For the remainder of the half, both teams traded possessions with neither team crossing the 50 yard line. When the final gun sounded, the mighty Orangemen had stolen a 8-7 victory from the boys of Bye. After the game, McGruder had no discernible comment on his winning touchdown.

Syracuse would go on to complete a stunning upset of Columbia the following week, and finish the season at 4-4-1.

Last edited:
In all seriousness, I wonder what the prep has been like this week.

Would think ST’s are getting addressed this week and potentially installing wrinkles for future opponents….especially for UNLV.

is today the off day for practice and Stanford prep begins tomorrow for the short week instead of Sunday off?

I’m really curious what they do after the Stanford game, do we sneak in a day or two of extra UNLV prep before the Holy Cross prep.

This schedule gives us some options.
Standford and their FCS opponent were 7-7 with 30 secs left in the first half. Short of a three turnover, special teams score against this shouldn’t be a game.

HC will be a chance to play everyone - will be interesting how they treat that game. FCS going back to 2016, only season with out was 2020, Colgate 65-0, Wagner 59-0, Albany 62-24, HC 41-3, Wagner 62-10, Cen Conn St 50-7, Colgate 33-7.

They need to take care of business, but like you note they have the opportunity to be ahead of things and have a well rested team going into UNLV and NCSt (the next swing game) and the second bye.

We’re lucky we’re hosting the BYE this year. Next year it’s an away BYE.
Really? We couldn’t get a tomato can BYE to come to the Dome.

I remember seeing BYE taking on my Syracuse Orangemen in ‘28. That’s 1928 for those of you who think football began with the portal and NIL. Bye had just come off a narrow victory over the Cadets of Army coached by Biff Jones.

Syracuse, headed by second year coach Lew Andreas was still trying to recover from the Hoo-Doo effects of Colgate, and was a team on the ropes.

The Fighting Byes had a QB named One-Hand Wilson, who got his nickname for obvious, and unfortunate, reasons. Still five digits seemed to be enough for old One-Hand. He completed 6 passes all to All- America End Eddie “Junkyard” Jones for 12 yards.

But a stout Big Orange defense kept the game close until halftime, with Bye leading 7-2.

The opening kickoff of the second half generated instant excitement when the Bye returner was tripped by a Syracuse cheerleader as he headed up the sideline and was taken down at the forty of Bye. The offending cheerleader, Sally O’Noyoudont, earned a flag for SU and a 15-yard penalty. O’Noyoudont was ejected from the stadium and was carried on the backs of about a dozen brothers of Lamda Chi Alpha fraternity. She was subsequently named Honorary Little Sister.

Following the penalty, an errant pass by One-Hand floated over the head of the intended receiver, and into the unexpecting arms of Syracuse defensive back Gary “Boobie” Robinson. Robinson returned the ball to the three, but fumbled following an inspired defensive play by One-Hand who caught him from behind and knocked the ball loose with the stub of his left arm. The ball bounded into the end zone, where the ensuing scrum of players piled onto the pigskin. When the players from both teams were finally pulled from the pile, the ball was cradled tightly by the Orangemen’s own defensive tackle, Charlie “Whispers” McGruder. The subsequent kick failed when it caromed off the right upright.

For the remainder of the half, both teams traded possessions with neither team crossing the 50 yard line. When the final gun sounded, the mighty Orangemen had stolen a 8-7 victory from the boys of Bye. After the game, McGruder had no discernible comment on his winning touchdown.

Syracuse would go on to complete a stunning upset of Columbia the following week, and finish the season at 4-4-1.
It’s a bit early in the day, but you may have solidified a win of the interwebs.

We’re lucky we’re hosting the BYE this year. Next year it’s an away BYE.
Really? We couldn’t get a tomato can BYE to come to the Dome.
This may be the long term deal Herm signed back in the day when finding foes was a little tougher. Like the Met Stadium deal and such.

At least the Fighting BYEs don’t play in a high school* stadium like Rutgers.

*Excluding Texas High School teams

I can't find the game. Typical ESPN/Mickey Mouse sublicense g agreements!

Anyway, at the half BYE has not allowed LAQ, Jr. to run. It's a close game. Not much to report, I can't find videos or the box score.

To the Fighting BYE's credit, the shut down FSU's offense last week but I expected a bit more from Brown's team. We will see what happens in the second half.

I checked my sources and they have confirmed that BYE goes away with their tails between their legs. SU escapes the embarrassment. From what my source say, HCFB was rather upset that the team didn't wipe the floor with the Fighting BYEs. My source also said expect a hard fought victory from the Orange on Friday,HCFB will have the team ready.

McCord, Gadsden and LaQuint really didn't do enough to talk about but this is a team and the BYEs were handled properly as a team. No mistakes on special teams and no penalties of significance.

As a fan, we are good and remain undefeated, unlike a certain northern Florida team who shall remain nameless. We face the pine trees a.k.a. the CARDINAL - not Cardinals - as an undefeated team. While I generally have no issues with Stanford, they have the nerve to step on the gridiron with our Orange Friday evening, for a few hours I will despise them.

See you Friday's game thread. Go Orange!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom