SU Musings / Mindset | Syracusefan.com

SU Musings / Mindset

SU94

Starter
Only 9 undefeated P4 Teams Remain:
  • Pitt, Miami, Texas, Ohio State, Indiana, Oregon, Ped State, Iowa State, BYU
  • (the @Pitt game on Thursday 10/24 could be wholly impactful if both teams do their jobs next week)
Amazing game on Friday. We shoulda/coulda won easily about three times. And UNLV had at least three realistic (if not probable) opportunities to end the game on the final drive of regulation.

To those clamoring for Willis > LQA, you're incurable. I, too, am excited by Willis. Take solace, his time will come. But this is not fantasy football. It is not an either or scenario. And Will Nixon is a big piece in the end. He has some wiggle that the other two do not. I hope he comes back.

Did you ever think you'd see an SU squad execute 96 offensive plays in a single game? Exciting.

Those play-call critics that are down on the abundance of throws in the flat ... that's an extension of the running game and it allows for Willis and LQA to operate in the middle. Gadsden too. We had 38 points and 467 yards at the end of regulation, so I'd recommend leaving the play calling to the professionals.

As for special teams, we can call for the firing of Coach V. Sure, it's been awful. But the kids have to do their job. What no one wants to acknowledge is that there are 100+ NFL roster spots annually dedicated to special teams. It's a viable path. For young players to brush it off is folly. It can be their ticket to playing professional football (and I am not talking simply about PK, P, returners).

This week Fran will see, really for the first time, whether his kids can handle winning. It's tough at any level, especially college. Kids have to come down off the high (which is justified) and get themselves grounded.

Coaching isn't about seizing upon narratives or being aware of the stakes, but rather, teaching the kids to embrace the process of winning and loving the game of football simply/organically for itself.

Players that only love the game because of what it can do for them (NIL, girls, stature, etc.) go adrift and inconsistency will prevail. I hope this squad has a healthy relationship with the game.

Fran's program is still brand new. Five games old. But this week's performance at NCSU will tell him a lot about how firm the foundation is. Not everything, but a lot.

It’s hard to defend special teams play since every single unit on the team is bad with the sole exception of Trevor Pena catching punts. Remember the time Babers split up special teams among all of his staff and the fans groaned because of some mistakes were made, well the special teams play then was better..

Of course we would like to have specials functioning perfectly from game 1, but one test of Fran and his staff is whether they can fix problems mid-season. Change the FG kicking - done (hopefully). Change the blocking for the punter - top of the list! And keep working on each phase of specials!

On blocking for the punter, it will be interesting to see whether Fran changes the formation/blocking scheme or whether he makes personnel changes - or both. It has his attention.

Great thoughts.

I agree that the short passing is an extension of the running game, and LQA is uniquely suited for it, both because he's a great pass catching threat and he is a great blocker for McCord from the RB spot.

That said, I commented in the game thread that we were running too much east west stuff because UNLV was clearly ready for it and stuffing it well, and LQA took a pretty brutal hit at one point.

I was reading something yesterday that Vollono's ST units at Troy were highly functional. I wonder what the situation here is; a million possibilities for why it's not working out currently.

If we both win next Saturday, I think the Pitt game will be a Top 25 vs Top 25 matchup.

Hopefully the Stanford game will be used as a lesson. Beat a ranked team you need to come back the following week and do it again.

While we all want good STs, we really just need it to be functional. No excuse for what we have seen thus far. UNLV blocked a punt the week before. Goof coaching sees that and makes sure it doesn't happen to us. It happened TWICE!

Of course we would like to have specials functioning perfectly from game 1, but one test of Fran and his staff is whether they can fix problems mid-season. Change the FG kicking - done (hopefully). Change the blocking for the punter - top of the list! And keep working on each phase of specials!

On blocking for the punter, it will be interesting to see whether Fran changes the formation/blocking scheme or whether he makes personnel changes - or both. It has his attention.
Both

we have replaced the run with a QB that accepts that 3-7 yd passes are good

Why does he need to run more?

FBS passing D:

27. VA Tech
41. UConn
45. Miami
55. NC State
82. Cal
85. Pitt but they bring the house every play
90. BC

94. GA Tech
98. UNLV
103. Ohio
119. Stanford

Now part of our past opponent rankings have to do with us having big passing games. But at the same time every future opponent is currently higher. It will only get tougher. We also haven't played a game outdoors yet. Having a balanced attack would be a good thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom