SU reaches out to Jason Cabinda | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

SU reaches out to Jason Cabinda

Like going to Clemson?
Why's that?
Many people here underestimate the academic level of fellow ACC schools.

He knows we play in a Dome right? And we are affiliated with the ACC, which are mainly southern schools? Last time i checked Happy Valley in November, along with the rest of the northern B10 freezes their asses off all November

You know there is more to dealing with weather than just gameday right? In general, the weather at Penn state will be warmer, there will be less snow, and penn state is far more likely to make a BCS bowl in Holley's time in college than we are.

PSU has a whole lot of advantages that we don't, if we keep trending upwards, hopefully we will start to be a more interesting destination school for some of these northeastern high profile kids.

While I understand the point I don't care where the players come from, there is a broader issue of concentrating recruiting in certain areas that benefit the longevity of a program. Syracuse is a northeastern school, it historically pulls the majority of its students from the NE corridor, it has a large concentration of alumni through those same locations. As much as we don't think proximity is an important benefit to the players that we recruit, it certainly is. Proximity to one's home is one of the most significant correlative factors. It strengthens your recruiting base, your fanbase, and allows a sort of inertia to be established when a program wins. Local stars just visit your school by a sort of default. Its also much more cost effective recruiting NJ and its concentration of talent rather than one player in GA. While its nice to recruit Chicago and the Southeast and have some success there, (and we should continue to do so) the resurgence of SU to national significance will come when we recruit the hotbeds of the Northeast successfully and get our share of top recruits. Not just relinquish them for further off lands of gold.

I think we have to get "good" again, before the NY recruits start taking notice. To do that we have to go outside NY. its a bit of a chicken/egg thing. I clearly think we should continue to cultivate NY, but not cry ourselves to sleep if we miss the NY recruits right now. Fast forward 3 or 4 years and I will expect that we'd make every kid's list.

I think we have to get "good" again, before the NY recruits start taking notice. To do that we have to go outside NY. its a bit of a chicken/egg thing. I clearly think we should continue to cultivate NY, but not cry ourselves to sleep if we miss the NY recruits right now. Fast forward 3 or 4 years and I will expect that we'd make every kid's list.
Good Point. Is it the chicken or the egg? Do you need to get good to recruit well locally or recruit well locally to get good? I just see alot of state schools just get their great local talents no matter what their record is.

Stuff you wouldn't want your kid doing.
Ahh those Kelly boys- if he's anything like his Uncle he's tearing it up down there at Clemson
Good Point. Is it the chicken or the egg? Do you need to get good to recruit well locally or recruit well locally to get good? I just see alot of state schools just get their great local talents no matter what their record is.
Who's going to be our "Tim Green" that local 5 star that sets the domino in motion. I was hoping it would be Collier from the great city of Rochester but he messed it up.

Ahh those Kelly boys- if he's anything like his Uncle he's tearing it up down there at Clemson

Who's going to be our "Tim Green" that local 5 star that sets the domino in motion. I was hoping it would be Collier from the great city of Rochester but he messed it up.
I think we all have our Jim Kelly out at bar stories in Rochester and Buffalo back in the day. I know I do.
I wanted it to be Jarron Jones, or Chad Kelly or Thomas Holley. Maybe Zembiec from Aquinas?

I hope it happens before Zembiec is ready- I can't wait that long! Seems like the worm is turning and the quality of recruiting is definitely on the upswing. This should be our best class top to bottom in over a decade easy.

I hope it happens before Zembiec is ready- I can't wait that long! Seems like the worm is turning and the quality of recruiting is definitely on the upswing. This should be our best class top to bottom in over a decade easy.
To quote the great American philosopher Scott Shafer 'I frickin love this team, I love this town'.

Who really knows? It's a great topic to debate because there is no right answer. I personally think we have to return to glory before the 17 and 18 yr olds of today take notice. I honestly think it was far different 25 years ago. The differences between the haves and have nots in division 1 was relatively small back then. For fun, go look up the video showing off the new Alabama football facilities. A good example of the haves.

Who really knows? It's a great topic to debate because there is no right answer. I personally think we have to return to glory before the 17 and 18 yr olds of today take notice. I honestly think it was far different 25 years ago. The differences between the haves and have nots in division 1 was relatively small back then. For fun, go look up the video showing off the new Alabama football facilities. A good example of the haves.
Funny you said that I just looked at Penn State's facility video. Wow!

I think we all have our Jim Kelly out at bar stories in Rochester and Buffalo back in the day. I know I do.
I wanted it to be Jarron Jones, or Chad Kelly or Thomas Holley. Maybe Zembiec from Aquinas?
We legitimately didn't have a shot at any of those three guys. Not one of them had any interest in coming here. We also probably won't have a good shot at Zembiec either.

We legitimately didn't have a shot at any of those three guys. Not one of them had any interest in coming here. We also probably won't have a good shot at Zembiec either.
Hopefully when Zembiec is picking qb will no longer be a position of need for us.

That's my point. We have to at some point have a legitimate shot at top recruits out of Upstate NY to return to the glory of the 80's and 90's.

That's my point. We have to at some point have a legitimate shot at top recruits out of Upstate NY to return to the glory of the 80's and 90's.

There will always be those kids that need to get away from home, but you're right at some point we've got to re-establish our dominance in our own backyard. Hopefully this staff will continue the momentum and we can threaten some 9-10 win seasons again and make 'Cuse the place to be again.

There will always be those kids that need to get away from home, but you're right at some point we've got to re-establish our dominance in our own backyard. Hopefully this staff will continue the momentum and we can threaten some 9-10 win seasons again and make 'Cuse the place to be again.
It's not about getting all of them its about getting our fair share. IMHO we need about 60% of the NYS studs to get back. Right now we're getting?????? 10%??? When was the last NYS HS Football All-American came to SU right out of HS?

Last edited:
It's not about getting all of them its about getting our fair share. IMHO we need about 60% of the NYS studs to get back. Right now we're getting?????? 10%??? When was the last NYS HS Football All-American came to SU right out of HS?
It's not like NYS is a football factory here. There will always be a couple of really good players and then the rest which are good players. I think the staff is doing just fine in NYS.

It's not like NYS is a football factory here. There will always be a couple of really good players and then the rest which are good players. I think the staff is doing just fine in NYS.
I just did a spit take. SU is doing fine recruiting NYS? When did we win a significant recruiting battle in NY?
No matter the number we need to do a better job recruiting NY. Every top college recruits their homestate well.

I just did a spit take. SU is doing fine recruiting NYS? When did we win a significant recruiting battle in NY?
No matter the number we need to do a better job recruiting NY. Every top college recruits their homestate well.
How many kids do you think we should take out of NYS on an annual basis?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom